Iray Preview Crashing on this UltraScenery Scene with 2 Characters

I can't figure out what's going on here. Can anyone make heads or tails of this error log?

txt
txt
errorlog.txt

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049

It appears to be running ourt of memory, how much do you have - the report seems to say 4GB.

• I have an RTX 2070 Super, which if I've reading correctly is 8192 MB.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049

I meant system memory.

• I'm sorry. I have 64 GB of system memory.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 238
    edited March 31

The Studio error log would be a little more helpful (if it managed to produce one before the crash!) rather than a Windows crash dump but I believe Richard is correct.

You don't say what your two figures are wearing in terms of hair and outfits or what generation they are but as a first step have you set Instancing Optimization to 'Memory' in the Render Settings? I'm sure you have but it's caught me a few times when using the Ultra Scenery products on a pre-production box. 9 times out of 10 you'll get away with it if it's just a scene but not with two figures + fittings as well. You could easily have eaten through your 8GB unfortunately (which shouldn't cause a crash - just a black screen) but you could also have clawed your way through 64GB of RAM if you were using strand-based hair and clothing with a lot of 4k+ maps and didn't set the renderer to optimise instances for memory in US. That generally causes a crash.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • Thanks for this help. I think it was the Instancing Optimization that was the problem. I'm sorry it took me a while to check it, but I'd set the computer to do a Memory Check (to make sure there was nothing wrong with my RAM) and then fell asleep waiting for it to finish. It was only after that (and a busy morning) that I saw your message about checking the Instancing Optimization.

Somehow, someway, the setting was set to "Speed" in this one scene file. Now that I've set it to Memory, it seems to be working.