Which formats can Daz Studio read?

Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,425
edited March 19 in The Commons

I am trying to download some freebies, but I can't find what I'm looking for in native Daz Studio files.  What I'm usually seeing is either .fbx or .dae, is there any way to use these files using Daz Studio ONLY?  There is something about Blender that I truly cannot figure out, I'm starting to think there is an evil curse involved, so I need to be able to do it in just Daz.  Or possibly some other free program that is not Blender and doesn't hate me like Blender does, I'm open to that idea.  My daughter really would like for me to make her some stuff with freebies (Pokemon, Mario, etc.), and if I could use either of those formats I think I would be able to do it.

Post edited by Fae3D on

Comments

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

DAZ Studio can import .fbx and .dae files, so those should be fine. You can see a list of importable formats by opening the import dialogue (File >> Import), then clicking on the formats dropdown to the left of the file name input box. You might need to move the dialogue box to the left to keep the formats dropdown from running off the edge of the screen. It's mostly a bunch of Poser formats, and industry standard formats like .fbx, .dae, .bvh, .obj and so on.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,828

try the latest beta as the FBX import has been improved

otherwise Carrara imports FBX  and so does Poser 11+

.dae there is possibly more chance of getting it in rigged correctly but varies a lot

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,425

Ninefold said:

DAZ Studio can import .fbx and .dae files, so those should be fine. You can see a list of importable formats by opening the import dialogue (File >> Import), then clicking on the formats dropdown to the left of the file name input box. You might need to move the dialogue box to the left to keep the formats dropdown from running off the edge of the screen. It's mostly a bunch of Poser formats, and industry standard formats like .fbx, .dae, .bvh, .obj and so on.

Thanks for the info!  Unfortunately, for me it seems that Daz Studio could import these in theory, but every time I try to import a .fbx Daz immediately crashes.  And while I can load a static prop .dae, anything rigged either comes out horribly deformed or doesn't load at all.  Attached is what I got when I tried to load a Pokemon model in .dae format, and it's from a large well known website, so I don't think that the model is the problem.  I feel like I'm probably doing something wrong?

Not Eevee.png
    1911 x 952 - 304K

WendyLuvsCatz said:

try the latest beta as the FBX import has been improved

otherwise Carrara imports FBX  and so does Poser 11+

.dae there is possibly more chance of getting it in rigged correctly but varies a lot

Thank you for helping!  I can't seem to get either .fbx or .dae to work, at least any rigged .dae models.  Is the Beta fairly stable?  I've never had the Beta (I actually don't even know where it is), so this is probably a stupid question, but if I loaded something in Beta and saved it as a scene subset, would I then be able to load it into my regular Daz Studio?  Or do you think it would still crash?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,828

you need to "buy" the beta and it needs to be downloaded with DIM

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

it installs to it's own folder with it's own plugins etc

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

You aren't doing anything wrong.

When you look inside the file types DS can import, you will find the files are split into "sections", these "sections" are in the same place across all the files of that type. Open a couple of Poser CR2s and you will find the same "sections" in the same place  in those files.

The problem with FBX and DAE is that DS expects the "sections" to be in order ie ABCDEF, but with a lot of programs the files come something like CBFEAD, and with some an X or Z might be in there.

Studio's importers just can't cope with files like that, but DS isn't alone in that, I have autodesk's FBX toolkit (the people that made the format), and it struggles to load the same files as DS.

I have taken files and manually restructured them and gotten them to load into DS, but that's a lot of work for little reward.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

you need to "buy" the beta and it needs to be downloaded with DIM

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

it installs to it's own folder with it's own plugins etc

This worked!  I still can't use .dae, but most of the .fbx work now in Beta, complete with rigging!  Thank you very much ^_^

Is there any way to convert .dae files to .fbx?  I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd try.

Bejaymac said:

You aren't doing anything wrong.

When you look inside the file types DS can import, you will find the files are split into "sections", these "sections" are in the same place across all the files of that type. Open a couple of Poser CR2s and you will find the same "sections" in the same place  in those files.

The problem with FBX and DAE is that DS expects the "sections" to be in order ie ABCDEF, but with a lot of programs the files come something like CBFEAD, and with some an X or Z might be in there.

Studio's importers just can't cope with files like that, but DS isn't alone in that, I have autodesk's FBX toolkit (the people that made the format), and it struggles to load the same files as DS.

I have taken files and manually restructured them and gotten them to load into DS, but that's a lot of work for little reward.

Ah, ok.  That explains why some files work and others don't.  Unfortunately I know nothing about programming, so that's out of my skill set.  But I did get some .fbx files to work in Daz Studio Beta, so now I can use some of the models I wanted to ^_^