Transferring G8 morphs to G9

nabob21nabob21 Posts: 917

Hello,

I seem to recall a product being released a while ago that allowed you to transfer morphs from a G8 character to a G9. I don't mean the character converters that Riversoft does, but a plug-in or utility to transfer specific morphs. However, I can't seem to find a product like this. Does anyone know what this produck is, or am I just imagining it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

nabob21

Comments

• Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use ManFriday's converter for my G8 -> G9 needs:

[Released] ManFriday’s Figure Converter for Genesis 9 [Commercial] - Daz 3D Forums

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 917

Does this convert full figures only or can it convert single morphs? I would like to transfer specific morphs and not all of my G8 morphs to G9.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 444

nabob21 said:

Does this convert full figures only or can it convert single morphs? I would like to transfer specific morphs and not all of my G8 morphs to G9.

The best way to convert individual morphs is using the transfer utility. Both RRSY converter and Manfriday merge these morphs together.

How do I use the transfer utility?

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited March 17

Are you thinking of this? https://www.daz3d.com/shape-splitter Not sure if you can use it on G9 though. 

Post edited by Wonderland on

Wonderland, thanks for the reply, but Shape Splitter isn't the product I was thinking about. I do have it and like it, but it isn't the right one.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404

nabob21 said: Wonderland, thanks for the reply, but Shape Splitter isn't the product I was thinking about. I do have it and like it, but it isn't the right one.

Shape Splitter definitely isn't what you need for converting morphs. I've been using the steps given in WP Guru's videos on converting morphs between figures. It takes a little time, but it isn't difficult. Sometimes, depending on what my goal is, I'll convert the character as a single full-body morph, then use Shape Splitter to separate the converted figure into the specific morphs I need. 

• franky85franky85 Posts: 112
    edited March 21

nabob21 said:

How do I use the transfer utility?

1) Load G8 and G9 figures

2) Favorite the morphs you want to transfer on the G8 figure

3) Launch the transfer utility

4) Uncheck everything basically.. and have these only. Make sure the source and target items are the correct ones.

5) Pick clone for the Genesis 9 figure

6) Pick Genesis 8 Female in the list

7) Once you click Accept, you can dial the morphs on the Genesis 9 figure. You need to dial in the Genesis 8 Female clone figure. It will be hidden so you need to show hidden items.

You should make a copy of the Genesis 8 Female clone base shape with the rigging fixed - it won't be aligned properly by default so you'll need to adjust rigging to shape etc. Also, the transfer does not save any morphs. You will need to manually save them.

Tada! "Jada 9" - using MW Nina for the materials. Typically you will need to fix the eyes, maybe the eyelids.. it's a bit of a lottery but it works.

(not a render but iray preview)

Hope it helps yes

Screenshot 2024-03-19 213740.png
    1174 x 943 - 224K
    Screenshot 2024-03-19 215731.png
    1081 x 840 - 225K
    Post edited by franky85 on

Thanks franky85, very helpful. Just for clarification though, in step 4, when I click Favorites, do I need to select the favorited morphs from a list?

nabob21 said:

Thanks franky85, very helpful. Just for clarification though, in step 4, when I click Favorites, do I need to select the favorited morphs from a list?

It's going to transfer the ones you favorited in step 2.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 640

Just let me prefix this with a "this doesn't answer the question"...

I used this with great success to move some of my favourite morphs form G3->G8, and the lack of such a product for G8->G9 is one of the things that's stopping me moving across. I used it mainly with expressions, and I still use some of the converted expressions frequently.

https://www.daz3d.com/xtransfer--genesis-3-to-genesis-8-converter

While I'm no expert, I can imagine its harder for G9 since the mesh topologies and densitties look more different than they did for G3->G8, but I too would find such a product immensely useful.

edited March 20

AndrewJJP said:

I used this with great success to move some of my favourite morphs form G3->G8, and the lack of such a product for G8->G9 is one of the things that's stopping me moving across. I used it mainly with expressions, and I still use some of the converted expressions frequently.

While I'm no expert, I can imagine its harder for G9 since the mesh topologies and densitties look more different than they did for G3->G8, but I too would find such a product immensely useful.

There are products that achieve similar results, by ManFridday and RSSY - just that the UIs are very different.. one of them is already linked in the first comment of this thread. They do more or less what the steps I showed were with typically less fiddling.

I have used xtransfer plenty in the past and it does the same thing I explained pretty much.. except that it merges the G3 clone for G8 in the transfer process so  you don't need to dial it as an intermediary.. you can see it happenning on your scene while it runs. Also transfers hidden JCMs etc which I didn't cover but I was just showing the ropes, not a super in-depth transfer :-)

Yes G8 is G3 with minute differences... iirc only around the eyes, hands and feet did it have slight differences.. and T vs A pose. Other than that the shape is pretty much the same.

Post edited by franky85 on
  • AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 640

franky85 said:

AndrewJJP said:

There are products that achieve similar results, by ManFridday and RSSY - just that the UIs are very different.. one of them is already linked in the first comment of this thread. They do more or less what the steps I showed were with typically less fiddling.

I have used xtransfer plenty in the past and it does the same thing I explained pretty much.. except that it merges the G3 clone for G8 in the transfer process so  you don't need to dial it as an intermediary.. you can see it happenning on your scene while it runs. Also transfers hidden JCMs etc which I didn't cover but I was just showing the ropes, not a super in-depth transfer :-)

Yes G8 is G3 with minute differences... iirc only around the eyes, hands and feet did it have slight differences.. and T vs A pose. Other than that the shape is pretty much the same.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

For G8 to G9 conversion, I am very pleased with the ManFriday Figure Converter for Genesis 9. I follow that up with Shape Rigger Plus Genesis 9 Edition to do the Adjust Rigging to Shape and save the morphs. These two tools eliminate most of the manual work and avoid a lot of common user errors. You may still need to make your own eye and/or mouth morphs if you G8 character's head is very different from the G9 head shape.

When the ManFriday Figure Converter is used, do all of the morphs that are available for G8 get converted, or just the ones that are currently used?

nabob21 said:

When the ManFriday Figure Converter is used, do all of the morphs that are available for G8 get converted, or just the ones that are currently used?

You have to select a G8 and G9 figure in your scene - it won't create a morph-by-morph transfer, rather it will create a new morph with the name of your choosing for head / body / full body etc.

Hi franky85. I'm still not clear on this yet., but if I have a G8F in the scene with 200 morphs and only 10 are active (i.e. set greater than zero) are all 200 morphs converted and transfered to G9 or only the 10 that are active?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

With franky85's way, the morphs that you marked as Favorites in Parameters pane will be transferred... no matter their property values are > zero or not.

nabob21 said:

Hi franky85. I'm still not clear on this yet., but if I have a G8F in the scene with 200 morphs and only 10 are active (i.e. set greater than zero) are all 200 morphs converted and transfered to G9 or only the 10 that are active?

ManFriday's converter does not "transfer morphs" - rather it will transfer the shape. You could have 200 active, at the end it will merge them and split the head/body etc. If you wish to transfer a bunch of individual morphs, I think the transfer tool remains your best bet - however it will rely on you using a clone shape on your G9 figure.

• Can anyone tell me if the product has been updated to work in 4.22? I tried and it didn't seem to want to run. I defaulted back to 4.21 and so far it seems to be working.