What other latest/updated closed source 3D products are similar to Carrara?

Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 319
edited March 8 in Carrara Discussion

As a hobbyist, I learned a lot from DAZ's free and paid products, but the time has come to add the latest 3D authoring product besides Carrara. I will continue to use Carrara and other DAZ products. Hopefully, developers can pick or re-write Carrara to match the latest in the industry as I found it to be the best and easy to learn 3D authoring tool. 

I am thinking of 3Ds Max (I am currently trying out the Trial), and I also noticed that DAZ's Bridge for Max is available.

Post edited by Samuel S. on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,880

well I do believe there are indie versions if you are considering Autodesk stuff and earn less than 100K per Annum

for me 460AUD a year, I have actually pondered it but not bitten the bullett yet

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 319

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well I do believe there are indie versions if you are considering Autodesk stuff and earn less than 100K per Annum

for me 460AUD a year, I have actually pondered it but not bitten the bullett yet

Thank you. I noticed that similar to Carrara, Blender, and Lightwave 3D's origins, it came into being around the late 1980s. I also tried Maya but it was a memory and resource hog for me.

Samuel S. said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thank you. I noticed that similar to Carrara, Blender, and Lightwave 3D's origins, it came into being around the late 1980s. I also tried Maya but it was a memory and resource hog for me.

Max also seems very similar to Carrara. It lets you export content to Carrara using the Carrara Preset. Additionally, the X, Y, and Z axis directions are similar to Carrara's.

With DAZ Bridge for Max and Max's support for Carrara; it seems a good fit. I will create some videos in future.

I just found the following on the Autodesk Max Indie version.

Get Access to Autodesk 3ds Max Indie Software with Affordable Prices

Are you eligible?

• Your annual gross revenue from creative work must be less than $100,000 USD.
    • You may not use the license on any project valued over $100,000 USD.
    • Only one license subscription can be used per user or organization. 
    • Offer is available in these countries.

Note: This offer is subject to certain restrictions.

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 117
    edited March 9

Samuel S. said:

Samuel S. said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Max also seems very similar to Carrara. It lets you export content to Carrara using the Carrara Preset. Additionally, the X, Y, and Z axis directions are similar to Carrara's.

With DAZ Bridge for Max and Max's support for Carrara; it seems a good fit. I will create some videos in future.

I will be happy to support Max developers who are really keeping it cutting edge.

Are you eligible?

I'm tired of all subscriptions regardless from who and for what (thanks a bunch, Adobe)

I don't see in Max Indie anything that would make Carrara less interesting than Max

in fact, I think Carrara has more to offer than Max Indie unless you go full blown Max version maybe

Carrara is pay once own for ever

Max is pay for ever never own it

besides, how often did Autodesk kill a Program and left the users behind

Softimage

Stingray

123D

etc.

3ds max is a dead man walking

Carrara has only one Problem, it is in fact not a real DAZ product, it is eovia and it has been Carrara ever since with only minor updates. 64 bit was a must

the interface should get an overhaul soon and as a free update

the very core of Carrara is user friendlyness functionality and features

not sure if you get all that in Max Indie version, could be only marketing Autodesk is better than this or than that to rescue a sinking ship that has already water up to the bridge

Post edited by Fettbemme on

Fettbemme said:

Samuel S. said:

Samuel S. said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I will be happy to support Max developers who are really keeping it cutting edge.

Are you eligible?

I'm tired of all subscriptions regardless from who and for what (thanks a bunch, Adobe)

I don't see in Max Indie anything that would make Carrara less interesting than Max

in fact, I think Carrara has more to offer than Max Indie unless you go full blown Max version maybe

Softimage

Stingray

123D

etc.

Carrara has only one Problem, it is in fact not a real DAZ product, it is eovia and it has been Carrara ever since with only minor updates. 64 bit was a must

not sure if you get all that in Max Indie version, could be only marketing Autodesk is better than this or than that to rescue a sinking ship that has already water up to the bridge

I agree as well. Carrara does need updates, but I will continue to use it because of its great feature set. I wish all indie versions were free for the indie community or hobbyists who are not making any money from Creative work. One example, Microsoft has a Free Community edition of Visual Studio.

Upon checking I noticed that Max Indie is the full version as per Autodesk Max Indie FAQs:

3ds Max Indie has the same features and functionality as the full software version of 3ds Max.

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 117

Samuel S. said:

Fettbemme said:

Samuel S. said:

Samuel S. said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Are you eligible?

Softimage

Stingray

123D

etc.

I agree as well. Carrara does need updates, but I will continue to use it because of its great feature set. I wish all indie versions were free for the indie community or hobbyists who are not making any money from Creative work. One example, Microsoft has a Free Community edition of Visual Studio.

Upon checking I noticed that Max Indie is the full version as per Autodesk Max Indie FAQs:

3ds Max Indie has the same features and functionality as the full software version of 3ds Max.

not bad, but again; to pay for a hobby on dripfeed ? hm …

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Not sure why any hobbyist would consider Maya or 3dsmax over the free Blender. Unless you are aiming for a job at a studio that requires Maya or 3dsmax. The development of Blender is faster than anything on the market and the amount of features probably exceeds the others, for free.
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

I use Carrara on a near daily basis to make short animations, and I don't see that changing.  The only other 3D program I use regularly is E-on software's VUE, the only program for which I pay a subscription (I think about $100 per year for the hobby level).  This is mostly for the amazing environment/landscape renders, especially with amazing scenes purchased over the years.  But I've recently been exploring its "Animation Wizard", which allows animating various vehicles (planes, cars, etc.) over mapped out tracks, with appropriate turns, banks, bumps, etc.  I used to see it as a not very useful feature, but after getting into it more, I'm starting to like it.  But I do not recommend VUE for most hobbyists, it is a niche product that to me is only a supplement to Carrara, and I think needs a honkin' fast machine (mine is a 12 core/24 thread AMD).  A good supplement, but Carrara still rules.

Thank you all!

3drendero said:

Not sure why any hobbyist would consider Maya or 3dsmax over the free Blender. Unless you are aiming for a job at a studio that requires Maya or 3dsmax. The development of Blender is faster than anything on the market and the amount of features probably exceeds the others, for free.

I agree; there is no question about the power of open-source Blender. They now have paid plans as well for critical or production projects:

Canonical Offering Blender Support — blender.org

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Blender seems like the closest parallel for hobbyists, now that Blender has revised the interface.