Daz closing for no reason (not crashing)

Is anyone else experincing this issue with Daz simply closing down. Sometimes I'm working in a scene, sometimes it's when I'm rendering, somtimes I leave it idle because I have to do something away from my PC. It closes the program, wihout an error report, and then it refuses to reopen unless I rstart my whole computer. This started before I installed my new Graphics card and Power supply, and is still happening. (It's not a regular thing, but  a rnadom occassional thing.)

Comments

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 154

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, and I'm not experiencing the issue, but have you checked for any errors in your logfile?  There may not be any if it's abruptly closing like that.. but it's worth looking and could possibly reveal a problem somewhere.  If it's really long I'd use the text editor to search for the word error, and for the word failed.  Warnings can usually be ignored (usually).

You can easily access it going to Help -> Troubleshooting -> View Log File from the top menu bar.

• jodhan322jodhan322 Posts: 9

So I did that and found these results
    [WARNING] :: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed (1 time)

2024-03-07 08:25:34.158 [WARNING] :: Error writing author data. (1 Time)

2024-03-07 09:39:50.834 [WARNING] :: Error loading asset: E:/My New Daz Library/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library/data/cloud/1_91551/environments/architecture/censored/the minimalist home bathroom/material/hd/tmhb 00 hd original toilet roll holder.duf (1 Time)

GL_KHR_no_error : NOT INITIALIZED

WGL_ARB_create_context_no_error

2024-03-07 11:09:38.980 [ERROR] :: QEventDispatcherWin32::registerTimer: Failed to create a timer (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)

The last one has maybe a fifty to a hunded identical ones.

edited March 8

Hi.  So a few of those I know right off the bat, and will explain, but the last error you posted is a new one to me.  I was able to find some references on it though, apparently quite a few others are experiencing the same problem and there was an ongoing thread in the forum about it located here.

The flurry seemed to die down after one of the main helpers around here suggested disabling all non-daz plugins, recommended by Richard Haseltine.

I would try that and see if it fixes the issue.  Another user reported increasing their virtual memory (this would be found somewhere in Advanced Settings in Windows), and freeing some disk space by moving content to another drive, solved it for them.  Although before trying that I'd still try Richard's solution as he knows quite a lot and he's always around helping.

In any event, I would give that thread a read.

The warnings you have are normal.  The 3DConnexion one is just a missing plugin which I believe is a bridge to another application, it's nothing to worry about if you don't use it.  The error for author data is also normal and will appear if there's no author data in Daz Studio preferences, it can also be ignored.  I'm not sure what asset that is, but it's only producing a warning and not a full error.  A bad error will be reported as [ERROR].  I'd investigate that file a little more though to make sure it's not slowing down your application.  It's probably harmless, but I still investigate things like that just in case. :)

The problem error is the last one you showed, and you should refer to the thread I linked you above.  I hope you get it sorted out, sounds frustrating to crash like that. :(

EDIT: Found some more information on that particular error, it's located here.  Came across it rather randomly when I was looking for something else.

Post edited by suffo85 on

suffo85 said:

The flurry seemed to die down after one of the main helpers around here suggested disabling all non-daz plugins, recommended by Richard Haseltine.

I would try that and see if it fixes the issue.  Another user reported increasing their virtual memory (this would be found somewhere in Advanced Settings in Windows).

My techie ability far exceeds my ambition to make renders. I don't know what those things mean:

increasing their virtual memory (All my drives have lot of free memeory) [I looked this up online, and did the recomended change]

"disabling all non-daz plugins" I didn't realize I had any non daz plugins. I don't use Daz Central, or whatever the new thing is that's replacing it. I just update my meta datas, then install. I do use Hexagon when I'm creating a morph, but I don't if that's a daz or non daz plug in.

Something else. Might be related, but I don't know. Sometimes I see this pop up in a bubble on my screen.

NvAPI Failed. A complete restart is required.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,906

Do you have the HEAT plug-in installed? If so try disabling it - though I don't think the issues that seem to be related to that have included silent crashes (which is what you seem to be getting, a crash direct to desktop without going through the crash reporter).

Richard Haseltine said:

Do you have the HEAT plug-in installed? If so try disabling it - though I don't think the issues that seem to be related to that have included silent crashes (which is what you seem to be getting, a crash direct to desktop without going through the crash reporter).

I don't know if I have, not sure how to check what plug ins I have.

jodhan322 said:

My techie ability far exceeds my ambition to make renders. I don't know what those things mean:

increasing their virtual memory (All my drives have lot of free memeory) [I looked this up online, and did the recomended change]

"disabling all non-daz plugins" I didn't realize I had any non daz plugins. I don't use Daz Central, or whatever the new thing is that's replacing it. I just update my meta datas, then install. I do use Hexagon when I'm creating a morph, but I don't if that's a daz or non daz plug in.

Hi. :)

It's possible you don't have any non-daz plugins.  In Studio, at the top on the menubar you can go to Help -> About Installed Plugins to view a list of what plugins are currently installed.  Quite a few plugins ship by default with the Daz Studio application, so there should be some in there.  But those would be considered daz plugins, in other words, the plugins that came preinstalled with Daz Studio are generally considered safe, but third party plugins can also be installed and those could have negative effects on Daz (such as crashing etc).  When trying to figure out a solution to a problem like this, it's always a good idea to start from just the base application, and slowly reintroduce plugins back into the application so you can try to narrow down which one, if one at all, is contributing to the problem.

As far as the confusion about Virtual Memory goes, the operating system (typically Windows, and is in this case), uses several different kinds.  Virtual Memory, Random Access Memory (RAM), and Video Memory (VRAM).  These memory types differ from hard drive disk storage space, as your hard drive is a place to permanently store data and memory is considered a place for temporary data.  Memory is usually "flushed" (cleared), with every reboot.

Virtual Memory in particular uses the hard drive disk to create extra space for Windows to store stuff temporarily, and the end-user (you), can manually set the amount of disk space Windows is allowed to use in Advanced System Settings in Windows.  (Open Run and type Advanced System Settings).  The place to set it is under the Advanced tab, in the Performance box, click Settings.  I would advise against changing the values in there though if you do not know what they mean or what they do as you can cause wide scale issues all across Windows in certain scenerios.  I think it's a little prudent to mention that the user who reported that as fixing his issue with the error you're facing is the only person who said that worked out of many other people who are facing the same issue as you, at least, at the time I posted my comment in regard to Virtual Memory.

nvAPI is nVidia's GPU API, I'm guessing you're seeing that because Studio is failing to communicate properly with it because of the other error.  But that's just my best guess.

• jp1851jp1851 Posts: 25

I am having the exact same problem. It's my own fault I upgraded to 4.22 I thought bugs have been worked out , never had a problem with 4.21 thank goodness for the members in these forums!

Exactly the same problem? Sine we don't know what the actual issue is for the original poster that is a hard call. perhaps if you describe your issue in more detail, and give system details, driver versions, and security software we may be able to help. Add things like what you are doing when DS crashes, what DrawStyle is being used, what content is loaded, and so on.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited March 12

Closing for no reason? Isn't that the exact definition of crashing?

(Sorry, not helpful, but, yeah...)

Post edited by 3WC on

3WC said:

Closing for no reason? Isn't that the exact definition of crashing?

(Sorry, not helpful, but, yeah...)

Yes, I pointed that out above - I guess the point is there is not crash dialogue box.

• CAV_18687CAV_18687 Posts: 75

Im getting this, ive disabled heat which at best caused an improvement (pehaps just a placebo effect, too soon to say for certain)...  In other words im still expereiencing 'crashing for nothing daz syndrome' for next to no reason, not even necessarily after a render (which is how this seemed to start for me -crashing during or relatively quickly after a render)

Is the crash soon after launch, or after DS has been open for a while (even if idle)?