How to align sleeves when texturing clothes

rezafrezaf Posts: 23

Hi everyone. This most probably being a pretty basic question, I hope I'm asking it in the right subforum.

My problem is I know so little about this process, I don't even know the proper terms to use, so if you can enlighten me, I'd be happy to learn.

On to the actual question - as mentioned in the title, say I have a template for any piece of clothing, say a sweater. Imagine I want to give it a rainbow striped texture. Front and back are easy. But that's where the trouble starts - how do I properly align the stripes on the sleeves?
I've been trying drawing little numbers on the texture to see where one color needs to start and end, but it's really tiresome and I can't help but think there must be a tool or otherwise easier way to do it. Could someone enlighten me?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers
Reza

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,908

Unfortunately if you are using a 2D image editor then that is pretty much it - you need to work out where the joins are and then apply your texture to match. This is why a lot of people use tools which allow painting onto a 3D model, such as Substance Painter, 3D Coat/Textura, or Mari for dedicated software though Blender and other general tools often have at least some basic tools.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,774

My two cents: ~

1. Now Blender's Texture Paint can almost handle all these similar requirements and there're quite a few free and paid add-ons to enhance the painting fuctionality.

2. In real world, patterns / textures on sleeves are mostly not seamlessly aligned with Front/Back esp. when they're not a single piece..., so depending on the cases, you don't have to make them 100% aligned...

• rezafrezaf Posts: 23

Thanks guys, these responses at the very least gave me some starting points on what to look for.
    Blender is even free, so I'll check this out at the very least.
    Much appreciated. :)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,774
    edited March 7

rezaf said:

Thanks guys, these responses at the very least gave me some starting points on what to look for.
    Blender is even free, so I'll check this out at the very least.
    Much appreciated. :)

I'm a Blender user. I recommend this free but pretty good add-on which supports Blender 4.0 - https://github.com/ucupumar/ucupaint

Just try it.

Post edited by crosswind on