Setting Object in Viewport as White

How do I adjust the white point to make an obect white?

Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933

In a render or draw? Iray, 3delight, Filament, OpenGL?

• PatroklosPatroklos Posts: 533

iray, setting up a render 

If Iray is active in the Viewport you should, in theory, just click the exposure meter icon (the +/- icon next to the drawstyle button) and then click in the Viewport (the area being rendered, that is) to set the white point - though I always seem to get it wrong (but I had the same issue in Photoshop, so that is probably a persistent grasp of the wrong end of the stick).

Hello Richard,

that seems to do something to exposure level (and not good in this case) but nothing to white point, any other ideas?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,672

Not sure if that is what you are after.

But in Render Settings > Tone Mapping, you have White Point, whhere you can set the color of what you consider white.

Hi Fells, thanks, and yes, I have tried that, I can get an acceptable result that way after a dozen adjustments, but its not precise, and it is tedious.

There has, surely, got to be a one click way of doing this.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

If you try zeroing Saturation, the object should be purely white.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,672

Patroklos said:

Hi Fells, thanks, and yes, I have tried that, I can get an acceptable result that way after a dozen adjustments, but its not precise, and it is tedious.

There has, surely, got to be a one click way of doing this.

Have you tried setting viewport in Iray preview.

And then hoover over White Point color bar. Press and hold <Shift> and move your cursor out on the cube and then release <Shift>?

hello Felis, this is changing the exposure, but not the white point

crosswind said:

If you try zeroing Saturation, the object should be purely white

but that makes everything white

edited March 6

Patroklos said:

crosswind said:

If you try zeroing Saturation, the object should be purely white

but that makes everything white

That's the only way to make a 100% pure white, and you can easily render with Canvases and merge them together with post work. It's a commonly-used technique...

Or... you don't have to do so in DS, tweaking all of them as you wish with post-work would be also a doable way...

Post edited by crosswind on

Yes, however I am trying to set the white point

What Felis says is per the onscreen instructions, but it does not work as it says it will;-  it does change the exposure (completely wrongly) but ir does NOT touch the white point.

There's no White Point adjustment for preview within Viewport but only a White Balance auto-adj. With Iray drawstyel, Draw Settings pane, Advanced tab, turn on White Balance.

What are yiou trying to do? Achieve white, or achieve a neutral grey (but not blown out to white)?

Hello Richard, setting the white point/balance, as the picture looks wrong, far too orange in this case.

When working on a photo which has this problem, I would most often select the white of the persons eye, or some other reliably white/true grey object, and the colour of the whole photo then looks good.

Momma Photography says;-

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 15.07.42.png
    1450 x 1264 - 2M
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 15.07.55.png
    1446 x 1128 - 2M
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 15.09.11.png
    566 x 394 - 126K

So you are wanting to eliminate a colour cast. I am not aware of a tool that will auto-adjust for that, sadly.

Yes, colour cast, you surprise me that there is no tool, I can always post process the pictures I guess

edited March 6

As Richard said, there's no tool in DS for such an auto-adjustment. Rendering is not like photography with photosensitive elements (CMOS/CCD) as well as light and white balance metering, etc.... Render results mostly come from the scene setup and render settings.

For instance, the light temperature, as shown in your 1st screenshot. If you want to have the result in the 2nd screenshot, just adjust the lighing pattern by increasing light Temperature, as well as settings in Tone Mapping even Environment Tint with exterior or interior HDR. You can easily make it work.

Certainly it's also easy to tweak the render results with post-work. I personally prefer to this way.

Post edited by crosswind on

Thanks for help

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@Patroklos

As @crosswind said

Draw Settings pane, Advanced tab, turn on White Balance. Then you can use the widget in the viewport.

I knew I had used this before and had completely forgot about it, but it works :)

• eric suscheric susch Posts: 130

The best way to fix this problem in DAZ Studio is to change the room light and make it white (6500K) before you render.  Then everything in the room will be the correct color.