Latest version of Daz locking up when I idle

Using the program is great, but any time I go into another tab for a little while and come back, the program freezes and it makes the same chiming system notification that happens when you try to click on something outside of a script window when a script is running. This has hapened to me four times today, twice on empty scenes. Task manager does not say it's not responding, but using about 7 gigs of RAM.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,097

Have you tried hitting esc to cancel any invisible dialogue box?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Have you tried hitting esc to cancel any invisible dialogue box?

Hadn't thought of that just yet, but if it happend again and that works, I will definitely let you know. Sometimes it really is just some stupid little thing.

• protosyntheticprotosynthetic Posts: 41
    edited March 3

Nope, didn't work. I was going through my library and it slowed to a crawl, then froze, chiming again, taking up vast system resources and running high power, viewport in plain texture shaded. I kept the previous Daz version, I'll try uninstalling this one and putting the old one back, see if it's that or something else.

Edit: Reverted back to the previous version of 4.22, and the memory issue ceased. I have no idea what was causing it. I suppose I'll have to wait to use those omni hairs...

Post edited by protosynthetic on

Well, I would suspect in that case that the chiming was because the event queue was full - I have had that occasionally with various applications. I don't, however, know why that would have happened - especially with only the one vesion of DS involved.

• PinkusPinkus Posts: 26

Same issue here, interface is getting terribly sluggish and in one occasion I had to terminate the application as it was sounding as if I clicked outside of a pop-up whenever and wherever I clicked. Couldn't "esc" it either.

• I'm having the latest version of Daz crash on me after going idle too. Looks like there's a bug somewhere.

• Submitted a ticket. Probably a good idea if everyone does.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,529

stripe6499_9253833ae8 said:

I'm having the latest version of Daz crash on me after going idle too. Looks like there's a bug somewhere.

Have you disabled all power saving features for the OS? 

• Looks like there's another thread with this issue Daz crashing frequently with new release. - Daz 3D Forums So it's not just idling that's causing crashes.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739

Same problem here with 4.22.0.16

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,529

Taoz said:

Have you uninstalled or updated the Heat-plugin?

The first version had a serious resource leak 

• PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

Uninstalling Heat is what fixed it for me, but I would like to try it out. Are you implying they have fixed the resource leak in a second version (which I would then give a try), or just informing the poster that it has an issue? 

primalsteam said:

PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

Uninstalling Heat is what fixed it for me, but I would like to try it out. Are you implying they have fixed the resource leak in a second version (which I would then give a try), or just informing the poster that it has an issue? 

The issue that was causing the problems was fixed but another leak has since been found, I assume less severe since most people seemed happy after the update - the info has been sent on to the HEAT developers, but there isn't yet an update.

edited March 21

PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

Just installed it a few days ago, and DIM hasn't shown updates since (just checked again), so I presume it's the latest.  I've uninstalled it now as Richard says there are issues with the update as well, to see if that helps.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited March 23

Taoz said:

PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

Just installed it a few days ago, and DIM hasn't shown updates since (just checked again), so I presume it's the latest.  I've uninstalled it now as Richard says there are issues with the update as well, to see if that helps.

No problems anymore, so it was the Heat plugin it seems.  Thanks! 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975

Heya! I haven't rendered OR updated in a bit, but I recently did that, nothing like a fresh updates to get creative juices flowing. Just like others, I have been getting crashes after DS has been idle for a bit (i.e. I left the scene loaded after I went to sleep; upon returning, Windows went LOL nope and killed DS when I tried to bring it up), and getting spammed with "QWidget::create: Failed to create window (The current process has used all of its system allowance of handles for Window Manager objects.)" in log.

I uninstalled Heat (it must have been the most recent version, since there was no update for it) and I'll see if that improves my situation. I already notice that DS is loading faster, rather than being stuck in 'Building interface...' opening window. This is tiny bit awkward, since I have a work project to do and I most certainly would like to leave my desktop rendering at night (since that's when cheap electricity happens over here).

Adding: after removing Heat plugin, I left the system rendering while I went to take a nap. Much to my delight, it was still there when I came back and had finished the render.

So check on what's up with it, please? yes

The initial release of HEAT had a major issue, that immediate issue was fixed in an update but there is still another issue that is being worked on.

Richard Haseltine said:

The initial release of HEAT had a major issue, that immediate issue was fixed in an update but there is still another issue that is being worked on.

Awesome! Have a good bug-hunt time!