Mattymanx - a detailed .22lr spy pistol

Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
edited March 1 in Product Suggestions

I love MMX's detailed and immersive work in making these stuff. Maybe he is interested in making a "MMX9A1 .22 Pistol" with a silencer? .22 territory is not touched by his work as far as I can see.

Post edited by Dolce Saito on

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Hey Dolce Saito, 

Thank you for the suggestion but I dont currently have any plans for modeling at the moment.

However, there is a set of spy pistols already in the store by DZFire - https://www.daz3d.com/spy-pistols - and his products are well made.

• Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited March 2

Mattymanx said:

Hey Dolce Saito, 

Thank you for the suggestion but I dont currently have any plans for modeling at the moment.

However, there is a set of spy pistols already in the store by DZFire - https://www.daz3d.com/spy-pistols - and his products are well made.

Hey MattyManx;

I already own that product. Unfortunately, they're lacking the inner modelling and slide morphs, also the bullet/casing in chamber/cartridge like your models do. I use all of these features from your products that I own. And unfortunately these were exactly what I needed. I appreciate your answer though. Fingers crossed.

Edit: BTW, I've just noticed, also no 1:1 sized .22 exists in that product range neither.

Post edited by Dolce Saito on
  • guitarecguitarec Posts: 43
    edited March 9
    I did some work converting a Beretta 950B (.22 short) 3D CAD object I found online. Was quite the learning experience. Ultimately, I modified a duplicated barrel object to add a treaded extension, rigged everything with sliders, created a few material presets, etc. Unfortunately, the mesh is high poly, and because I didn't make the mesh myself, I don't believe I can release it. Also, I didn't unwrap the meshes for UV maps, so the materials look flat. I did post a suggestion here for "Modern Compact/Concealed Weapons", hoping Porsimo sees it...
    Post edited by guitarec on

guitarec said:

I did some work converting a Beretta 950B (.22 short) 3D CAD object I found online. Was quite the learning experience. Ultimately, I modified a duplicated barrel object to add a treaded extension, rigged everything with sliders, created a few material presets, etc. Unfortunately, the mesh is high poly, and because I didn't make the mesh myself, I don't believe I can release it. Also, I didn't unwrap the meshes for UV maps, so the materials look flat. I did post a suggestion here for "Modern Compact/Concealed Weapons", hoping Porsimo sees it...

If the original artist grants permission or has a license allowing modifications then you would be ok to post it online.  I have many conversions of Star Trek and Star Wars models for Daz Studio that were done because there was permission granted before I downloaded the model

• guitarecguitarec Posts: 43

Mattymanx said:

If the original artist grants permission or has a license allowing modifications then you would be ok to post it online.  I have many conversions of Star Trek and Star Wars models for Daz Studio that were done because there was permission granted before I downloaded the model

Hey there @Mattymanx - I'm a big fan of your work!  The site I pulled the model from does not explicitly list any licenses for use, so I've reached out to the author to find out directly from them.  I'll update when and if I hear anything back.  I'd want to UV map the model before I released it, and I'm fairly novice at that - do you think you could help me out if it comes back favorable? 

edited March 23

I am going to say No for two reasons.

1. UV Mapping is a good skill to learn.  I know it seems scary at first but really its not.  Once you understand it, its really easy.  And if you get in to 3D modeling in the future, knowing UV mapping already will help you design your models better.  So I would encourage you to learn it.

2. Not all models are made to the same standard simply because of the program they were made in and/or the person who made it.  If the gun is in a CAD format, chance are its heavily triangulated which will make UV Mapping difficult.  If its in STL format, chances are it would be too time consuming and not worth it.

If however there is already textures with it then you should not need to worry about uv mapping at all.  If its mapped, chances are the only thing you need to look out for is making sure that the textures can be applied in DS with out it looking wrong.  I say looking wrong as sometimes when converting a model, you end up with every part of the model sharing the same surface when they should not.  You would need to separate them in a modeler or using the geometry editor in DS.  a modeler would be easier I think.

ps, you don't have to UV map it if it doesn't come with any maps.  just make sure its got separate surfaces for the different types of materials and you should be good to go.

Post edited by Mattymanx on