Recovery software

PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

Ok, the day did come... One of my external drives stopped working and doesn't show up in Windows Exprorer.
In Computer Management, I can find it, but it's showing "Not Iniatilized"
Removed the drive from it's enclosure and used a docking station, no success
Haven't tried connecting it to internal SATA yet and don't think it will change anything

It has been a quite a number of years since I had to use recovery software and can't remember which one(s) I used the last time

Which software has been successfully used in recovering files from such drive (no subscription licenses)
I'm looking one that's free or up to $100 for one that makes me coffee and my first born.

Post edited by PerttiA on

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,066

Have you tried to Rebuild MBR? Open the Command Prompt and run as administrator, then run the command lines bootrec/fixmbr and bootrec/fixboot.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,746

Didn't try as I have bad experience with included tools to 'fix' anything, but will check.

The drive was formated with NTFS and wasn't bootable. There were no symptoms before, so I don't think the problem is physical.

I have used the EaseUS programmes and find them good and they do a Data Recovery programme.

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/

Thanks, downloaded the free trial executable, lifetime license doesn't mention anything about making coffee wink

PerttiA said:

Thanks, downloaded the free trial executable, lifetime license doesn't mention anything about making coffee wink

Thay are doing a nice priced bundle just now.

https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/drw-pro-buy.html?linkid=e_drw_win_family

I have Backup Home and it runs in the background. 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881

It may be a good idea to check the manufacture of the hard drive and see if their website has any software that can help, including software to do a SMART test.

You may consider downloading the bootable Gparted image and seeing if it can access the drive at all - https://gparted.org/livecd.php - boots from USB as well.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517

Hi,

I use Lazesoft Recovery Suite (free for home use):-  https://lazesoft.com/

edited March 3

stem_athome said:

I use Lazesoft Recovery Suite (free for home use):-  https://lazesoft.com/

Thanks, checking it out.
    Scanning the 4TB drive goes very slow and I may have to wait for the next weekend to finish.

Edit; So far the only program that is able to see the drive

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 969

Probably not the cheapest ... probably not the best ... but when I had a drive fail I tried Recoverit ... cost was about $75 and was good for a year. It did salvage most of my files - though the folder structures were laregly gone. But it was slow - it was a 4 or 5 TB drive - it scanned the drive for almost 24 hours and took another 12 to copy them to a new drive ... and I dared not stop the thing once it started because I think it would start over.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    edited March 4

since this thread is fresh

I just accidently permenantly deleted a folder in Win10

Winfr C: J: /regular /n \Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 6 Custom\

gives me 

There was an error parsing your command. Please check /? for more information and try again.

in Windows File Recovery tool, I have no idea what I have wrong in the syntax reading the instructions

it was a huge folder too with heaps of user data mostly DAZ imports to iClone, just about everything I ever imported basically and all my scenes

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

since this thread is fresh

I just accidently permenantly deleted a folder in Win10

Winfr C: J: /regular /n \Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 6 Custom\

gives me 

There was an error parsing your command. Please check /? for more information and try again.

When reading the Microsoft guide, they give conflicting advice (surprice) about the syntax.
    In one place they say the syntax is "Winfr C: E: /regular /n \Users\<username>\Documents\"
    In another place they say it's "/n /users/<username>/Documents/"

The bad thing is that the files are on C-drive, where Windows is constantly writing over those files, so installing new programs is a bad idea.
    Removing the drive and connecting it to another (Windows) computer may not work either because it is the OS drive with MS specified standard folders - One may not even see the folders on that drive, but the ones on the OS drive of that other computer.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    edited March 4

I eventually did get it to work skipping the subfolder paths

ie Winfr C: J: /regular /n \Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\, but it did not recover all of it and not in a folder hierarchy either

so yeah SSD too and overwritten

but got all my iMotions back by looks which is a huge help as I can export those to DAZ now for Genesis 9 with bone minion and M4 

as I was slowly doing

I was also rendering this in DAZ when I did it cheeky 

(accidently deleted folder)

a 4K video!!! but I was rendering to an external drive

probably didn't help though

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on