What can I do to improve my quality

Hello everyone,

I haven't been rendering anything for the pass few weeks and i just got the urge to work on my lighting. So here i am. I'm going to share a few renders i did(pictures will have captions). Please note that these renders are done by a i5 12600k, no GPU. Saving up for a 3080 Ti.

r/Daz3D - What can i do to improve this?

My first render that I felt proud of. The eyes turned out odd. I love what i did with the lighting. I don't remember what i did. i haven't been able to replicated since. Stock Render Settings. Time:: Less than 13 minutes(if i remember correctly)

I used an account of mine that had enough Karma to post and i posted this. I Lighting isn't the best by i took some advice and got this. Pretty happy, removed the pixels out of the eyes. Still a having pixels in render. Render Settings: Luminance 1000, NDF: 3, NFR: 2, Degrain: .80, PF: Mitchell. PFR: 10.50, PDSl: 750. Time: Not sure, Render would rush job once it got to 10% to 100%

I use the Render tool to see how it looks. I figured it may have been me, so I ended up trying something different. so i ended up rendering into a full render. Time: ~5 minutes

Same settings as above. Nut sure if its because of the leggings it looks like that. This is just a test pose to see what i can improve on with the lighting.

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

First two pictures: skin, hair, and eyes are grainy because you need to render longer. This is not surprising since you're only rendering for a very short time and without GPU.

Last picture: Grainy renders are a common problem with IRAY but this image is not grainy, it's pixellated. I'm afraid I can't help you, I don't know what's going on here!

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 154

You have some rendering filters going on that I've never seen used (practically), before.  I usually render with GPUs, but I'll take a stab at this on my cpu-only laptop and see what I come up with.  I'm waiting on some insanely long dforce weight node anyway and half falling asleep, it'll give me something to do.  lol. :)  Also the post denoiser from what I'm to understand requires an nVidia GPU, I've been told it uses the nVidia denoiser which is AI enchanced in some aspects.  You have that turned on (but not enabled?), so I'm not sure if that's having any odd effects or not.  One of the gurus floating around might know.

As far as quality goes, more iterations will increase the quality for sure.  On CPU five minutes seems like a really short amount of time.  I'm running x2 4060 titans (the 16GB ones), and some of my renders can easily take over an hour if I start fussing over some quality settings like sampling.  They come out looking amazing, but, lol, it takes time.  I dread to think what those kinda settings would do to my poor laptop.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777
    edited March 6

For the last image of Preview, there're a couple of settings you have to tweak:
    1)  Though it's not a root cause but with Sun-Only or HDR, no need to set Nominal Luminance let alone such a high value...Check this thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/640171/effects-of-nominal-luminance-on-render-quality. Zero it as well as Noise related properties. If you want to make a brighter peview, reduce Exposure Value a bit in Tone Mapping.
    2)  With Pixel Filter - mitchell, setting 0 value in Pixel Filter Radius will bring your very sharp and pixellated render result. The good value range for it is 0.75 ~ 1.0
    3)  As for that leggings.. if they're with Bump or Normal map with low quality, there'll be such a harsh shadow. You may try setting High Resolution level, increasing the value of Render SubD Level and add Smoothing Modifier to them.
    4) Not sure if you wanted to activate Post Denoiser... leaving Post Denoiser Enable - Off would not bring you any denoiser effect... but with such a lighting environment, I don't think you need Post Denoiser...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited March 6

So.. I see what you mean now.  Iray gave me better cpu results before I reset my system probaly around two months ago.  I had to really jack up a lot of settings to get it to even render for more than five minutes.  It was like Intel just wanted to give up at that point... "bruh, just go on without me..," soo, I'm gonna try one more thing here.  But this was the best thing my craptop could produce..

bruhgoonwithoutme.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by suffo85 on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

Normally, rendering a same scene with CPU will not bring you significantly different quality as long as you necessarily leave adequate time for DS to render...

edited March 6

Okay.  So.  The first posted render was at 720p and went for ~1500 iterations where iray really wanted to stop sub 600.  Settings posted.  But, it seemed Iray started to produce better results with increased resolution.  Here's the 2k one I began rendering, but stopped it at around 250 iterations (it was rendering to file, so I didn't even have it in a new window to see what it was doing).  It took it ~11 minutes to get to 250 iterations, and probably would've gone on for a long while yet as rendering progress had slowed significantly.  I usually don't like to use the settings I'm posting here because it can make renders go on for really long periods of time, and they usually have to be manually canceled because they're completed way before Iray says they are.  So, use with discretion. :)

Honestly you'd probably only need to turn rendering quality to 3 and convergence to 100% without even changing the sampling.

bruhcantfindmywayhome00.png
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    settings.png
    1920 x 1080 - 413K
    Post edited by suffo85 on

crosswind said:

Normally, rendering a same scene with CPU will not bring you significantly different quality as long as you necessarily leave adequate time for DS to render...

Wow Daz forums messing up on me again.  It never even showed me anyone else had replied or I wouldn't have spent so much time rendering stuff on my overheating plastic fire hazard...lol.

And yeah I agree with that, it was weird that it kept wanting to stop rendering though even when I began jacking up settings.  Even my GPUs will start to render longer then.. idk.  Anyway, I hope the guy gets it sorted out and I shall depart. :)

• ProtegeArtsProtegeArts Posts: 36
    edited March 30

Hylas said:

First two pictures: skin, hair, and eyes are grainy because you need to render longer. This is not surprising since you're only rendering for a very short time and without GPU.

Last picture: Grainy renders are a common problem with IRAY but this image is not grainy, it's pixellated. I'm afraid I can't help you, I don't know what's going on here!

Sorry about not responding on here, I didn't know if anyone responded to my post and since I don't usually navigate this website besides the shop. I someone got it figured it out, the rendering wise, it took a bit but it seems that Babina's eyes isn't that great when it comes to rendering. I have an example, but I will attach it once I get home. Which explains why her eyes was always the hardest part to get rendered correctly.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    crosswind said:

For the last image of Preview, there're a couple of settings you have to tweak:
    1)  Though it's not a root cause but with Sun-Only or HDR, no need to set Nominal Luminance let alone such a high value...Check this thread - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/640171/effects-of-nominal-luminance-on-render-quality. Zero it as well as Noise related properties. If you want to make a brighter peview, reduce Exposure Value a bit in Tone Mapping.
    2)  With Pixel Filter - mitchell, setting 0 value in Pixel Filter Radius will bring your very sharp and pixellated render result. The good value range for it is 0.75 ~ 1.0
    3)  As for that leggings.. if they're with Bump or Normal map with low quality, there'll be such a harsh shadow. You may try setting High Resolution level, increasing the value of Render SubD Level and add Smoothing Modifier to them.
    4) Not sure if you wanted to activate Post Denoiser... leaving Post Denoiser Enable - Off would not bring you any denoiser effect... but with such a lighting environment, I don't think you need Post Denoiser...

I will try this out with this render. I have it saved, since their my test renders. I will respond with results. Sorry for not answering to this post. I didn't know there was a notification thing on here(cog wheel) since I only use the shop and thought there would be a notification as soon as I log on.
    suffo85 said:

Okay.  So.  The first posted render was at 720p and went for ~1500 iterations where iray really wanted to stop sub 600.  Settings posted.  But, it seemed Iray started to produce better results with increased resolution.  Here's the 2k one I began rendering, but stopped it at around 250 iterations (it was rendering to file, so I didn't even have it in a new window to see what it was doing).  It took it ~11 minutes to get to 250 iterations, and probably would've gone on for a long while yet as rendering progress had slowed significantly.  I usually don't like to use the settings I'm posting here because it can make renders go on for really long periods of time, and they usually have to be manually canceled because they're completed way before Iray says they are.  So, use with discretion. :)

Honestly you'd probably only need to turn rendering quality to 3 and convergence to 100% without even changing the sampling.

Sorry for not responding. I thought I would be notified as soon as I log on to the website. I will try out these settings. I'm still trying out and testing things with my 12600k. My renders have gotten better but sometimes, some times they come out grainy/pixelated.