polygons and pixels

Hi, I have two questions, people.

1. I assume (but could be wrong) that if a model has a high number of polygons it'll take longer to render, if so is there a way to check how many polygons a model has after I've loaded it into DS, and what would people consider a "high" number of polygons?

2. My renders used to take a while and be blank and then render in rows of the final image, now the image turns up all pixellated and then refines to a final image (I'm using 3Delight). Have I changed a setting by accident?

Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,169

Polygons can impact render times, but not as substantially as the number and resolution of textures and certain other factors. My limited experience in 3Delight suggests to me that the thing that inflates your render times the most is hair.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148

(1)  The scene info tab will show you the total number of polygons in the scene and/or the number on a specific model if you select it first.

(2) I seem to recall there is a "progressive" setting somewhere that makes the difference - I've not used 3Delight for a while so can't remember exactly. Perhaps take a close look at the "Render Settings" tab?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

(2) yes, it's progressive rendering, and it's actually faster with progressive on.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

Thanks for the replies. I turned off progressive and my renders went back to how they used to be. Did a couple of 3Delight tests using a random prop, with progressive off a  render took between 9 and 11 seconds, with progressive on it took over thirty seconds. Maybe progressive is quicker for Iray but slower for 3Delight?