Aiko 8 & Many Other Genesis 8's Mouths Glowing [SOLVED]

suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173

How do I stop Aiko 8's mouth from glowing?  I can't make her smile or her teeth glow from the amount of light coming out of her mouth.

I've seen several threads related to glowing mouths, but all were using the 3 Delight renderer.  I don't use 3Delight.. those threads suggest disabling SSS (how? I get no "off" option for SSS), or making sure the lights in your scene are casting shadows (lights set to Raytracing and glowing mouth still persists).  I'm not sure these fixes even apply when using Iray anyway.

So what's up with the glowing mouth, and how do I put a stop to it?  The glow ends up moving to any model I create that I apply Aiko 8's skin to.

aiko8mouthglow00.jpg
1280 x 720 - 142K
Post edited by suffo85 on

Comments

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 173

Effects at least 3 other models that require Aiko 8 materials,

FWSA Celie HD for Aiko 8

FWSA Giada for Aiko 8

Aurora for Aiko 8

This issue is also present in Teen Kaylee 8, so I am assuming her spinoffs as well will have the same problem.  Looks like I'll be submitting a huge refund request after I finish going through my entire library of Genesis 8's.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

Select the mouth and teeth surfaces (window > Pane > Surfaces) and then dial the Translucency Weight Channel down to 0 to disable it.

suffo85 said:

FenixPhoenix said:

Select the mouth and teeth surfaces (window > Pane > Surfaces) and then dial the Translucency Weight Channel down to 0 to disable it.

Thank you!  Going through my library I was appalled at how many of my characters this was effecting.  I didn't even make it through 1/4th of my library of Genesis 8's before I had counted 10 more actors who can't smile without their mouths glowing.  Most of them I haven't used yet so I didn't even know this was going on.  I don't understand why these models are being sold this way.  Being new to Daz Studio I feel like I am troubleshooting problems with products I've purchased more than I get to actually render anything.  Anyway, thank you...

suffo85 said:

suffo85 said:

FenixPhoenix said:

Thank you!  Going through my library I was appalled at how many of my characters this was effecting.  I didn't even make it through 1/4th of my library of Genesis 8's before I had counted 10 more actors who can't smile without their mouths glowing.  Most of them I haven't used yet so I didn't even know this was going on.  I don't understand why these models are being sold this way.  Being new to Daz Studio I feel like I am troubleshooting problems with products I've purchased more than I get to actually render anything.  Anyway, thank you...

It's very weird that this is happening to so many characters. Are you applying the 3delight materials by any chance? try re-applying their iray materials when available to see if it fixes it. Otherwise, just turning translucency down to 0 on the affected surfaces should do the trick.

FenixPhoenix said:

It's very weird that this is happening to so many characters. Are you applying the 3delight materials by any chance? try re-applying their iray materials when available to see if it fixes it. Otherwise, just turning translucency down to 0 on the affected surfaces should do the trick.

Nope, I never use 3Delight materials.  All of them should be using Iray.  I'm running a batch conversion right now but I'll double check that they're using Iray when it's finished.  I know Aiko was using Iray because I had applied the Iray materials to her right away when I loaded her in.  The others were using their default materials on first load, I would like to think that G8's are defaulting to their Iray materials, but I don't know for certain.  I'll check in a few.

edited February 24

Eh, just loaded them on my laptop since I have everything installed there as well.

The first two I checked, Blaze HD and Carmelta HD are both using Iray materials, and both have the issue with their mouths as well.  Blaze doesn't appear to have any 3Delight/RSL materials at all.

Aleric HD also, using Iray.

CB Habben HD as well...

Most of my Gen8's are effected by this. :/

EDIT: CB Hala, Charlotte 8, Daisy 8 as well.

Have you tried un installing and reinstalling the Genesis 8 essentials? I can't imagine why the mouth is loading like that in so many characters for you. That would mean that something is amiss with you install. Perhaps sending a ticket in to Daz could help.
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,250

To me, some properties on Mouth surface are just wrongly set ... The vendor set Translucency Weight on Mouth surface but did not (or forgot to...) set Transmitted Color as well as SSS Amount, and certainly they did not check it either by "opening figure's Mouth"...

Your surely can request refund,  or simply set proper SSS values on Mouth surface... as below.

SNAG-2024-2-25-0006.png
    1831 x 1399 - 1M
    edited February 25

FenixPhoenix said:

Have you tried un installing and reinstalling the Genesis 8 essentials? I can't imagine why the mouth is loading like that in so many characters for you. That would mean that something is amiss with you install. Perhaps sending a ticket in to Daz could help.

I recently had just done that several days ago.  I loaded an 8.1 dev character and Daz Studio complained the eyelashes were missing, so I reinstalled Genesis 8 Female Essentials and all was well.  At that point I checked for missing files in other packages and there were actually quite a few, but I know how that happened.  It occurred when I migrated my installed products from my C drive to a much larger D drive (before I knew anything about metadata).  So DIM was complaining about missing files, but the files weren't actually missing, DIM was just looking for them in the wrong place because that's where the manifest files installed them to, and said they were.  Daz Studio wasn't looking for them in the wrong place, and the products worked just fine which is why I never noticed the issue.  But, I still fixed it.  I just did a mass reinstall of all the products who's manifest's said they installed to C to clear that up.

I'm having a lot of other odd issues with Daz Studio though.  Like clothing items clipping, but they're only clipping in the render.  They don't clip in the viewport or the Iray preview mode.  It's quite maddening to have to spot render to adjust clipping issues.  The amount of clipping problems I've had has pretty much quadrupled too.  Whereas I used to have little to no clipping issues with clothing, now pretty much everything clips somewhere or another on almost all my characters.  Well, at least the ones I've tried anyway.

Just earlier yesterday I had another forum topic up about a bloodstain LIE changing the color of things its applied to.  The only thing on the LIE is red, and yet it was turning items a cloudy white.  I don't see why a LIE should be doing that.  But it was changing the gamma of items it's applied to.  I need to check some others now that I think about it...

Earlier today I had a geoshell repeatedly toggling it's visibility to "On" without any interaction, despite my toggling it off multiple times.  This one is a new one to me, as this issue only started today, and rather frustrating to have to untoggle like 20 or 30 different buttons so your character's skin goes back to looking normal.

So I really don't know what's up with Daz Studio but it's been grinding on me for weeks now, and I've been getting rather fed up with it.  Every couple of days I'm faced with troubleshooting or working around some new issue that crops up out of nowhere and wasn't present prior.

I've considered reinstalling Daz entirely, I just dread reinstalling the more than a thousand products.  I'm up to around 1500 products now (not including custom content), or somewhere in that range.  I did install Daz Studio Beta to see if that helped clear up any issues, and a few days ago even updated my nVidia Drivers hoping that might help (while keeping the old ones in case I need to rollback).  Beta gives me a whole different set of issues, although I just checked and there seems to be an update so maybe that will solve some of them... or if it at least solves the most frustrating one (has to do with Beta locking up when loading Smart Content sometimes), I'll go back to using that.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,250
    edited February 25

Don't be frustrated as it's almost a routine to most of us in terms of "trouble-shooting" with using DS and these products... Pls bear in mind that there's either no perfect product or perfect service from this store (as well as other stores). We've been also building our skillset by "trouble-shooting"... blush

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

To me, some properties on Mouth surface are just wrongly set ... The vendor set Translucency Weight on Mouth surface but did not (or forgot to...) set Transmitted Color as well as SSS Amount, and certainly they did not check it either by "opening figure's Mouth"...

Your surely can request refund,  or simply set proper SSS values on Mouth surface... as below.

Thanks for the screenshot.  I'd rather not have to refund any of the characters.  I might not have used most of them yet, but had ideas or plans for use with most of them eventually.  Whether I ever get around to that eventual point or not remains to be seen lol.  Since dialing down the translucency weight to 0 works to rid myself of the glow I'll just do that, but it's one more reminder that half of the characters I have were sold to me with glowing mouths and to be wary of purchasing more content moving forward.  Nobody new to Daz Studio and 3D applications is going to be able to figure that out on their own, and to be fair, I spent quite a lot of time Googling for an answer before coming to the forum.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

If you use the figures with any HDRI the glowing issue is much less visible, this is probably why the PAs didn't notice it. The issue is much more visible with scene lights only, especially with a strong backlight. But yes, setting translucency without volume is wrong in terms of pbr material, at least if you want to make a human skin.

edited February 29

Anyone have an idea about this one?  Materials that show up in Texture Shaded view but don't show up in Iray Preview or in a render.  This is also plaguing most of my Genesis 8 characters, and Skin Builder is great.  I've used it for a while now and its always worked.  In the Iray screenshot, there's also this really weird moisture effect/shiny effect that begins to gather around their mouths,  It doesn't look real bad there but if I were to render that it would come out looking like morning dew or something.  I can't help but feel like there's some deeper problem causing multiple issues, but my Daz logfile is silent because I've nuked any packages I couldn't fix myself straight out of it...and in general things seem to load ok, maybe a little on the slow side for my system specs (14th gen i7, 64gb ddr5 ram, 32gb vram), but that's probably because of lots of morphs.  A few weeks ago none of this stuff was happening, or maybe now that I've become more comfortable with Daz I'm just doing more with it than I was then....idk... either way it sorta sucks that I can't use materials like freckles?

Freckles are applied...

But this is what I end up with....

frecklesnotshowingup00.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 754K
    frecklesnotshowingup200.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 539K
    edited February 29

suffo85 said:

Anyone have an idea about this one?  Materials that show up in Texture Shaded view but don't show up in Iray Preview or in a render.  This is also plaguing most of my Genesis 8 characters, and Skin Builder is great.  I've used it for a while now and its always worked.  In the Iray screenshot, there's also this really weird moisture effect/shiny effect that begins to gather around their mouths,  It doesn't look real bad there but if I were to render that it would come out looking like morning dew or something.  I can't help but feel like there's some deeper problem causing multiple issues, but my Daz logfile is silent because I've nuked any packages I couldn't fix myself straight out of it...and in general things seem to load ok, maybe a little on the slow side for my system specs (14th gen i7, 64gb ddr5 ram, 32gb vram), but that's probably because of lots of morphs.  A few weeks ago none of this stuff was happening, or maybe now that I've become more comfortable with Daz I'm just doing more with it than I was then....idk... either way it sorta sucks that I can't use materials like freckles?

Freckles are applied...

But this is what I end up with....

Check the Translucency Map. If the extra detail is being applied only to the diffuse map (base color channel) and you have a character with high translucency (which is the case for most G8 characters), then you need also to apply that LIE Texture to the map set in translucency color for the texture to also show in render.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on