Genesis 3 Expressions to Genesis 8

This may seem like a really stupid question, but is there a quick and easy way to convert Genesis 3 expressions to Genesis 8? Perhaps some sort of equivalent to the X-Transfer utility for morphs? 

I remember trying this quite some time ago, and ended up copying folders from G3 over to G8 and editing the files so the expression sliders appeared for G8.. I did this as a test on a selection of expression presets, but now for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it. Yes, I know I can probably save each expression as a pose preset, load them into G8, and then save again - but ideally I'd like sliders as I rarely set expressions to 100%. I tend to mix and match until I have a result I'm satisfied with. 

The expression pack I'm particularly interested in converting is Z Childhood Wonder for Genesis 3 https://www.daz3d.com/z-childhood-wonder-expressions-for-genesis-3-female. A batch conversion would be great. :)

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,780
    edited February 23

Dial an expression property from this product, Edit mode in Parameters pane, right-click on the property - ERC Bake, then save a Pose Preset with Pose Controls under Head node only (Figure Head node + Pose Control - Head path...)  AFAIK, there's no batch converter for converting expressions from G3 to G8... I'm afraid you have to do it one by one.

Then apply the Pose Preset on G8, create a Control property and ERC Freeze. Save a Morph asset for the Control property. Done ~

An alternative: replicate the product folder under "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female\Morphs\Zeddicuss\..." and edit DSF files by replacing strings: "Genesis3Female" with Genesis8Female, as well as "Genesis 3/Female" with "Genesis 8/Female".  Then copy the product folder to "data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\Zeddicuss...." , accordingly. Then test.  Suggest you use Notepad++ to edit DSF files with which you can batch replace strings and save the files. That'll be pretty fast.

Be noted that depending on the expressions... there might be some tiny difference even if G8 has the same facial joints as G3. And this way won't work on a G8.1 with default FACS... ( i.e. if you haven't removed those dummy aliases in data folder of G8.1...)

Post edited by crosswind on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,845

you cannot easily if they are morphs because the geometry will not match but ones using bones only could be saved as pose presets

edited February 23

That's right ~ if an expression is a pure morph rather than using Pose Control properties, you have to do morph conversion instead. As for the product from Zeddicuss as you mentioned, they're Pose Controls.

• amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 98
    edited February 23

I figured it out.

The expressions I wish to convert are all slider presets that use combinations of the partial facial expressions (In Pose Control) that come with the Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 packages. They're all the same so they're easily converted over. 

Anyway, I tried converting the expressions I linked to in my original post, and everything went smoothly. It just took an agonizingly long time becuase I had to copy over two folders and manually edit the files in each.

What I did was:

Copy over the folder in People/Genesis 3 Female/Expressions to my Daz Library People/Genesis 8 Female/

Create the Expressions folder if it doesn't exist and do copy-paste.

Navigate to data/Daz3d/People/Genesis3/Female/ ... and copy over to data/People/Genesis8/Female ... create the same directory path in Genesis 8 if it doesn't exist in Genesis 3. (These create the sliders)

That was the easy bit. Next comes the manually editing of each expression in both folders. Open each duf file with notepad and find-replace all instances of Genesis3Female to Genesis8Female and Genesis%203 to Genesis%208. (CTRL+H on Windows 10)

Save each edited file. 

It took me about an hour to convert every expression in the Childhood Wonder folders, but it's up and running now and the sliders work flawlessly.  

Post edited by amysparkles on
    edited February 23

Yep ~ and I strongly recommend using the freeware - Notepad++, to replace the strings from G3 to G8... Batch open DSF files, batch replace and Save All.  It'll only take less than a minute, even shorter...

• amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 98
    edited February 23

crosswind said:

Yep ~ and I strongly recommend using the freeware - Notepad++, to replace the strings from G3 to G8... Batch open DSF files, batch replace and Save All.  It'll only take less than a minute, even shorter...

Thanks for the notepad++ suggestion. I completely forgot about that one. :)

It'll certainly make life easier the next time I have to batch convert some expression presets. 

Post edited by amysparkles on