March 2024 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Puppeteer/PowerPose

Comments

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 172
    edited March 12

suffo85 said:

jumbotron.nkna said:

suffo85 said:

Curiously, I was wondering if you or someone else here might know a way to "lock" different sections of a model's body in place when posing, or really anytime?  Since this month is about posing it seems an appropriate place to ask.  Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I might click a part of the body instead of selecting a bone in the scene tab, and sometimes that causes DS to spaz a little bit and it'll freeze for 5-10 secs and my actor zooms off screen somewhere, or twists in some violent way lol.  With limits on it still looks like it had to hurt lol.  I've just been doing Undo whenever it happens but it'd be nice if I could just lock parts of the body I'm finished with posing already, if that's even possible?

Hi,

I don't know if this is what you were asking for, but you can lock specific nodes by selecting them in the scene tab and then right-clicking on the Parameters tab and selecting: Lock>Lock Selected Node(s).

omg I have to go try this out right away haha, thank you!  oh and love the pose too by the way I meant to say something earlier but kept forgetting, i get distracted by shiny things

edit.. sadly no go. :(  I tried...doesn't work.  I think that's the same option in the Edit -> Figure -> Lock as well, just another way to get to it.  but thanks for suggesting anyway, appreciated :)

Hi Suffo85, In the Parameters tab put your mouse on the top right corner of the transform you want to lock. A lock icon will show, click on it and it will be locked. Do that to all the transforms that you want to stay in place.

Hope this helps.

LockTransforms.png
    810 x 678 - 83K
    Post edited by berriboy on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,270

Use the Pin Option on the joint if you don't want to move.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 205059.png
    186 x 153 - 43K
    edited March 13

Some of you might want to know power poses can be used anywhere on the actors.

Edited: Example of what power posing can achieve. The picture utilized was of my face. I would like to keep it Private.

power.png
    667 x 1080 - 1001K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • suffo85suffo85 Posts: 160
    edited March 13

@berriboy - thanks!  I didn't even think of that even though I've used those locks for other things before... geez.  If it's really been that simple all this time I will *facepalm* lol.

@AgitatedRiot - I've seen that pin there before but never knew what it did, one less item to be confused over now..

I'll try both of ya'll's suggestions, thanks. :)  Oh, Riot, I still haven't messed with the fog yet but I promise I will get at it.  Doing a collaboration project and I was falling some behind in it so had to pick up the slack.  Rendering an animation atm.  I wish my laptop was powerful enough to actually work on other then just browse my stuff.

After I finish this one I need to figure out if I can actually make animated rain or not... I have a few ideas about that, but idk, that one might be a lil rough.  Either way, I will make it back to the fog. :)

edit.. actually i think the masterclass videos explained that pin and i just forgot.  i should go watch those again while i wait on this crazy long animation to render

Post edited by suffo85 on
  • ElliandraElliandra Posts: 483

@jumbotron.nkna - Actually the pose looks great! You did a really good job with it for the using pose architect that is fine wink

Also everyone don't forget to make sure you put your reference pose image in the post with your renders!!

edited March 13

Reference pose for Proud Puddingwife (lol), was from memory but I dug this up in some dark dank long forgotten corner of the internet :)

aaand looking at this, my memory has clearly deteriorated.  Oh well.  No surprise. ^_^

pose2.jpg
    432 x 533 - 21K
  • JumbotronJumbotron Posts: 47

@Elliandra

Thank you. Very happy to read that everything looks good. smiley

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Version 2

I have changed the pose in line with some of the advice given.

I have also dimmed and changed the position of the spotlight.

Elliandra said:

Also everyone don't forget to make sure you put your reference pose image in the post with your renders!!

I didn't use a reference pose on my image. Just worked on it till it looked right.

edited March 15

Intermeadiate.

I used a reference this time. I found once I got the hip into the right position the rest just flowed from there.

Title: Gladiator

Gladiator_01.jpg
    842 x 1190 - 155K
    Reference.jpg
    808 x 900 - 156K
    Post edited by berriboy on

@sueya - really nice adjustments hun!! Just a quick note that the male has some pokethrough on his shirt you may want to turn on smoothing set to 1 or 2 iterations!

@berriboy - That's cool on the first image. I really like the fierceness and movement you captured with your gladiator image!!

@sueya I would love to suggest that you group the actors. Then, select the male's foot in perspective mode. Click the View frame button to focus the viewport on the foot. When looking at the gap on the floor, reselect the whole group. Lower the Y axis of the group until the feet touch the floor. Your actor will not be floating unless you are using an IBL.

@berriboy - Your Gladiator is my favorite so far. :D

@AgitatedRiot - okay so I got back into my stuff today and, no good news to report. :(  I eradicated everything in the Surfaces tab, all maps removed, all whites to black, all values to default and then if no change occurred I tried negative values.  After Surfaces for every object in the environment was drawn and quartered, I started in on the environment tab.. I had little luck there either, my final result is that there is no way to remove the glow without removing the fog.  Considering this is a new thing added by daz in 4.20 (i think?), idk if it's supposed to behave this way or not.  Especially since it's my first time ever using it.  Either way, if this is an intentional behavior of it, then daz3d should really take a look into environments like "The Dark Forest" because as you can see from the screenshot below, this is how people load into it by default.  I found with this environment, one can turn the default height of the fog down from 1000 to 200 and your eyes won't start to bleed for maybe an hour or two, but you still won't want to render in it.

As for using matte instead, the matte fog ended up looking completely different.  I didn't see any sort of volumetric effects at all with matte fog, instead it just seemed to change the color tone of the environment to whatever I set the matte fog's color to.  But raising the matte fog's height and things of that nature typically did nothing to the naked eye, until you set a different color for it than the default of white.  I thought pink and red looked kinda neat in that forest, but it still wasn't like... fog.

If you have any other ideas, I'd be happy to try them, I'd love to get to the bottom of whatever is causing this, because apparently I can't use fog, and that sort of sucks, and I have no idea why I can't use it.  My hardware is all supported, and insofar as I can tell, nothing is interfering with Daz Studio.....

getridofthefogDAZgeezlol.png
    3840 x 2160 - 3M

Do you have bloom on?

@AgitatedRiot - No, I wish it were simply that lol... I realized I had not checked my laptop for the same behavior but it also glows the same way,  I don't even really use my laptop for Daz so all the settings for it are just default, it's just a backup of my library basically.

Hi Suffo85, first - thanks for the nice comment. Second - to me it looks like the fog density can come down a bit same with the light intensity.

One other thought. Have a look at the Tonemapping in Render Settings, it could be over exposed.

Elliandra said

@berriboy - That's cool on the first image. I really like the fierceness and movement you captured with your gladiator image!!

Thank you Elliandra.

berriboy said:

Hi Suffo85, first - thanks for the nice comment. Second - to me it looks like the fog density can come down a bit same with the light intensity.

One other thought. Have a look at the Tonemapping in Render Settings, it could be over exposed.

I didn't even think about tone mapping  

edited March 17

berriboy said:

This was it.  There were lots of non-default settings in Tonemapping.  It was overexposed, shutter speed was way off, film iso had been turned way up, and while I had checked for bloom yesterday on my laptop and didn't see it turned on it was also enabled as well.  I had checked for Bloom from the Filtering tab and not Tonemapping Currently Used (where I'd found it today), but that shouldn't have made a difference.  Film ISO had to be reset to default first before exposure and shutter speed could be, otherwise those two could not be fully reset.  Resetting one would cause the other to change and vice versa in a loop.

I don't do much in Tonemapping yet... anything I do in there is like fumbling around.  I only have a real basic understanding of those settings, but since I have no photography experience I don't really mess with them.  Definitions and explanations, but no real practical use for those.. yet.  Those tend to do some really neat things I've seen, so I am eager to getting around to finding uses for them eventually. :) Environments tend to come with their own preloaded settings and I need to remember to go check over tonemapping in the future if I run into oddities like this again.

@AgitatedRiot and @berriboy - thank you both, at least now I know where to go and check for that.  I hadn't really seen this before, I don't think I have many environments that make use of the built in fog features so this was a new "problem" for me to figure out...lol.

AgitatedRiot said:

@sueya I would love to suggest that you group the actors. Then, select the male's foot in perspective mode. Click the View frame button to focus the viewport on the foot. When looking at the gap on the floor, reselect the whole group. Lower the Y axis of the group until the feet touch the floor. Your actor will not be floating unless you are using an IBL.

I am using an IBl and I have already checked that his feet are on the floor. I can try and re-position the light to see if i can get a shadow.

@sueya - Have you looked at pwCatch? It's an older product but was created for catching the shadows in 3Delight and was my go-to for anything I rendered in Studio!

edited March 18

suffo85, I don't know which version of Daz you got.

If you have time, look at this; only if you have one of the newer versions of Daz.

AgitatedRiot said:

suffo85, I don't know which version of Daz you got.

If you have time, look at this; only if you have one of the newer versions of Daz.

This was what I followed to put the fog into the environment with Cloud. :)  That's the mansion in the swamp I was referring to haha.

Did you use Emmission on the Fog? If so, turn Emissions off.

edited March 19

AgitatedRiot said:

Did you use Emmission on the Fog? If so, turn Emissions off.

You mean like an emissive ghost light?  The fog is not a selectable object so it's not something I can toggle emissions on or off...

I have my ghost lights, and the environment itself has a few emissive objects like switches and the like, but yeah there's no way for me to actually toggle the fog itself.

... I did manage to figure it out partially though.  I didn't have much time to look once I saw your post asking about emissives, but I loaded it up and did the following:

• Removed unnecessary HDRI because indoor environment only (not sure why PA set that)
    • Removed all my ghost lights
    • Found floor to have glossy properties and removed all those

Surprisingly there was nothing in Tone Mapping to remove, that was the first place I looked after The Dark Forest fiasco.

Not sure yet which one of the above did the trick, but I'm leaning towards the glossy floor.  I only turned on one glossy setting of the three I disabled while my one and only spotlight in the room was sorta shining at the floor and then the floor just suddenly lit up.  Soooo yeah, glossy floors and fog apparently don't play well with one another.  It didn't quite light up as badly as it was before I turned all those things off, so I can't say for certain until I have more time to come back and test each thing individually. 

I can't really point my finger at the PA and blame them for this one, I doubt they even considered someone may try to use fog in a strictly indoor environment....until I came along, and broke the mold with all my nooby methods of going about things, heh.  *touches the Save button and Studio explodes*  Yup, saw that one coming.... :)

edit... the new daily problem for me to figure out now is why the website keeps throwing errors at me everytime I post something in the forum.  This began yesterday, and is super annoying.

forumerror.png
    1920 x 1080 - 143K
    edited March 19

LOL I'm never right when it comes to Daz Studio.  After I finished up my last task I went in to finish doing final adjustments to Cloud since I discovered his "true" 1990's pose wasn't as cool as the way I remembered it, lol, and narrowed down the cause of the bright fog.  Yup yup, @AgitatedRiot - completely my emissive ghost lights.  So I nixxed those and re-did his rim lighting with Spotlights as was initially suggested. :)

edit.. Oh and I'm on current versions of Studio.  Public and Beta, usually use Beta.

edited March 19

Challenge: Intermediate

Title: Overcompensator [final]

Software: Daz Studio 4.22.1.99 Beta, Gimp 2.10.36, Caesium Image Compressor

...jpg...

03-19-24 Overcompensator [postwork].jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    cloud-reposed.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 660K
    edited March 19

Wow, impressive. suffo85

I created the samples for The Dark Forest: Matte Fog, No Fog, and Volumetric Fog. I've also noticed that Bloom is activated when you load The Dark Forest.

Dark Foest F.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    Dark Foest NF.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    Dark Foest V.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M

AgitatedRiot said:

Wow, impressive. suffo85

I created the samples for The Dark Forest: Matte Fog, No Fog, and Volumetric Fog. I've also noticed that Bloom is activated when you load The Dark Forest.

Mine had all sorts of tone mapping options enabled when you load in addition to the bloom.  I didn't turn all that stuff on........

and thanks. :)

edited March 28

I have used pwCatch to alter the shadows in my image. I have also fixed the poke through on the man's T Shirt

This is the final version of my image.

Post edited by sueya on