Scope of License Application

vrcreationvrcreation Posts: 3
edited February 20 in Art Studio

Regarding the interactive license, I would like to inquire if it is necessary for users of the service to make a purchase in the following cases:

• When manipulating assets from DAZ within a service that incorporates those assets (for example, characters in a game, existing avatars in a metaverse service).
  • When a service that incorporates DAZ assets is separated and used commercially by service users (for example, individual operation of an AI dialogue robot service by a user, operation of a proprietary server in a metaverse service).

Additionally, is it correct to assume that a license for a product can be applied to multiple uses? In other words, is my understanding correct that purchasing a single license allows for the creation of any number of various final products using that asset?

Thank you for your assistance.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Art Studio as it is a usage question, not a Daz Studio application question.

The question is where is the 3D work done? If it is all done on your machine (pre-rendering artwork or animations, for example) then the base license suffices - if 3D data iss ent to the end user then an Interactive License would be needed if anything - but note that the EULA does exclude tools thata re themselves for creating artwork, since that would be competing with DS and content sales.

• Thank you so much all.
    I'm confused because the interactive licence includes operating assets, but clients using the service are allowed to operate that game character without the interactive license, right?

https://www.daz3d.com/interactive-license-info#:~:text=This is because apps and video games use, alter, or manipulate the original 3D data

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

Read the text listed under 3.0 Interactive License Addendum on

https://www.daz3d.com/eula/

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,486

As far as I have understood, the interactive license is needed and can be used when one is making a game that uses Daz assets in 3D format.
    The Interactive License does not allow incorporating the assets to games someone else has created (making mods)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,073
    edited February 21

Interesting.

When thinking about it (and I've never really considered it before), in some ways I'd expect there to be two standards of interactive license.

1. When you are uploading your 3d user avatar to represent yourself in a game (ie only you will be controlling the 3d content and it only responds to your commands even though it may appear on a number of machines in a multi-player game) and
    2. When it's content to be used in a game that's distributed to many other people and there may be thousands of copies distributed and each copy may be controlled by a different person.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,037

richardandtracy said:

Interesting.

When thinking about it (and I've never really considered it before), in some ways I'd expect there to be two standards of interactive license.

1. When you are uploading your 3d user avatar to represent yourself in a game (ie only you will be controlling the 3d content and it only responds to your commands even though it may appear on a number of machines in a multi-player game) and
    2. When it's content to be used in a game that's distributed to many other people and there may be thousands of copies distributed and each copy may be controlled by a different person.

Food for thought.

First case wouldn't be allowed by the licence since it's not using the content in a game you created, it's an add-on to someone else's game.

Also, AFAIK in a lot of (most ?) cases uploading a 3D mesh to avatar system or virtual world means granting some ownership rights on that content to the system's owner, which would be a problem for content from the Daz store since you don't actually own that content, you only have a licence to use it in specific ways.

For example, using Daz content in Second Life was not allowed as they claimed ownership of all meshes uploaded there (no idea if SL still does that nowadays).

• Leanna,

I agree that option 1 is not acceptable under current DAZ copyright, but I was mulling over options for what seems to be a current thing, where people personalise their appearance in game. And I was thinking that sort of license should probably be kept separate from the content that is used in a game and possibly cost the user a different amount.

Regards,

Richard

• So, what is the conclusion?
    We would like to make sure if we can use these DAZ assets for our services with peace of mind.
    The only concern and question is whether users will need to purchase an interactive license when incorporating 3D assets into our service that require an interactive license for use or operation.

無名 - コピー.png
    2437 x 2074 - 157K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,943
    edited February 21

vrcreation said:

So, what is the conclusion?
    We would like to make sure if we can use these DAZ assets for our services with peace of mind.
    The only concern and question is whether users will need to purchase an interactive license when incorporating 3D assets into our service that require an interactive license for use or operation.

You need to explain more about how the content will be used before anyone can give an answer. But yes, if the use is permitted at all then it is the developer not the player who needs the applicable license(s).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • vrcreationvrcreation Posts: 3
    edited February 22

Thank you for your cooperation.

Let's say we create an avatar using DAZ assets.
    We then publish it on a metaverse service for everyone to use.
    Wouldn't it require an interactive license for anyone to use it?

Post edited by vrcreation on
    edited February 22

vrcreation said:

Thank you for your cooperation.

Let's say we create an avatar using DAZ assets.
    We then publish it on a metaverse service for everyone to use.
    Wouldn't it require an interactive license for anyone to use it?

What do you mean with "Avatar"?
    Is it a 2D representation of a figure, or is it using the 3D mesh and the textures from a Daz bought character inside the whatever service.
    if it's using a 2D representation (renders), interactive license is not needed. (see; https://www.daz3d.com/d-talks--realtime-talking-chatbot-for-daz-characters)
    If it's a 3D mesh, I don't think the interactive license allows such use, unless you are the one that has created the service/application where the "avatars" are used.

Post edited by PerttiA on

I am not a lawyer, but have purchased many of the interactive licenses,
    so the topic is interesting for me, as well.
    As stated in https://www.daz3d.com/eula/
    under point 3.0 Interactive License Addendum:

If the game only provides Two-Dimensional Works,
    so it is not a 3D design tool using Daz 3D assets
    to create or modify such items, then if developer
    of the game has purchased interactive license may:

(i) incorporate, copy and modify such Content
     in the creation and presentation of two-dimensional animations and renderings
     which may require access to the Content by the User's customer
     during electronic execution of the User's application

(ii) incorporate two dimensional images
     (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects)
     derived by User from the Content in User's other two-dimensional works

(iii) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense
     such two-dimensional animations, renderings and other works;
     provided that User may NOT in any case:
     publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any renderings,
     animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any Content,
     or any part thereof, or any substantially SIMILAR version of the Content
     can be separately exported, extracted, or de-compiled
     into any re-distributable form or format.

It is also good to know, that you cannot sell items in the game
    made from Daz 3D content, even when you have purchased interactive license.
    "CRT Content" means all Content that can be identified
    according to the criteria stated in Addendum 3.0 at
    https://www.daz3d.com/eula/

While incorporation of the CRT Content into User's applications is authorized
     as set forth above, User expressly agrees and acknowledges
     that any discrete sale of CRT Content separate from a purchase
     of the User's application is allowable ONLY with express written consent of DAZ.
     Thus, for example, within the context of a game,
     the sale or purchase of the CRT Content, portions thereof,
     or either two-dimensional or three-dimensional derivatives
     thereof as a separately-purchased commodity
     or upgrade using items of actual or virtual worth is prohibited
     without prior written consent of DAZ.

vrcreation said:

Regarding the interactive license, I would like to inquire if it is necessary for users of the service to make a purchase in the following cases:

• When manipulating assets from DAZ within a service that incorporates those assets (for example, characters in a game, existing avatars in a metaverse service).
    • When a service that incorporates DAZ assets is separated and used commercially by service users (for example, individual operation of an AI dialogue robot service by a user, operation of a proprietary server in a metaverse service).

Additionally, is it correct to assume that a license for a product can be applied to multiple uses? In other words, is my understanding correct that purchasing a single license allows for the creation of any number of various final products using that asset?

Thank you for your assistance.

In my opinion, you cannot use Daz assets as you described, even if you purchase interactve licenses for them.

Probably you need to contact Daz office directly to be sure.

Artini said:

I agree, we are just fellow users in here, if one wants to get real answers, one should contact Daz.

• PerttiA said:

Artini said:

I agree, we are just fellow users in here, if one wants to get real answers, one should contact Daz.

Sales support, please, since it is a licensing question.

• Okay, Thank you, everyone.
    I simply wanted to know whether it would be possible to develop a service using DAZ 3D assets without considering the customers.
    In other words, there was concern that if an interactive license is required for customers to manipulate or use 3D characters within the service, as stated in the terms and conditions, then it would not be possible to develop a service using DAZ assets.
    I understand that as long as the assets remain within the service and don't leak out, it's considered okay.