Mesh disfigured with geometry deletion?

Mesh disfigured with geometry deletion?

Normally you can delete mesh from most objects with geomedtry editor with no problem, but occasionally when you delete mesh from an object the mesh becomes distorted.

Anyone know what causes this?

Comments

• Distorted how? Is it a SubD item, with numeic sliders for Mesh Resolution?

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,212

Richard Haseltine said:

Distorted how? Is it a SubD item, with numeic sliders for Mesh Resolution?

I think SubD is usually involved when this happens but I am not sure the cause of it. 

I wonder if it is a weight map maybe.

• If you happen to delete loops of polygons thata re designed to keep an edge sharp under SubD then it may turn from a more-or-less angular section to a curved section. That would be especially true if the edges were weighted (not the same as weight maps).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,450
    What are weighted edges? I don't think I've ever heard of it before. It sounds interesting.
    1. Create a Cube promitive with one division (Create>New Primitive) and select it
    2. Edit>Object>Geoemtry>Convert to SubD - it will look a bit of a mess, but if you turn the View SubD level up to 4 or 5 it will be a sphere.
    3. Tools>Geometry Editor, then switch the mode to Edges from the Tool Settings pane or the right-click>Selection Type menu
    4. Select the four edges around the top of the ex-cube (easiest, perhaps, in Wireframe Drawstyle with marquee selection mode (right-click>Selection Mode>Marquee)
    5. Right-click>Subdivision Weight>Set Subdivision Weight, try a value of 1 or even 2.

You should end up with something a bit like a bullet. Editing edge weights is a way to turn the softening of SubD down in places.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,450

Richard Haseltine said:

1. Create a Cube promitive with one division (Create>New Primitive) and select it
    2. Edit>Object>Geoemtry>Convert to SubD - it will look a bit of a mess, but if you turn the View SubD level up to 4 or 5 it will be a sphere.
    3. Tools>Geometry Editor, then switch the mode to Edges from the Tool Settings pane or the right-click>Selection Type menu
    4. Select the four edges around the top of the ex-cube (easiest, perhaps, in Wireframe Drawstyle with marquee selection mode (right-click>Selection Mode>Marquee)
    5. Right-click>Subdivision Weight>Set Subdivision Weight, try a value of 1 or even 2.

You should end up with something a bit like a bullet. Editing edge weights is a way to turn the softening of SubD down in places.

Wow, thanks, I had never heard of that. I'm going to save your description for reference.How did you find out about the existence of this and how to use it?

• barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Wow, thanks, I had never heard of that. I'm going to save your description for reference.How did you find out about the existence of this and how to use it?

I think it was duiscussed in the release/update threads when it was added (Geoemtry Editor was originally Polygon Group editor, the features for handling edges and vertices came later but I can't recall the exact timing). It is also a feature that exists in some modelling applications - including modo, which I was using.