New User Question

I just loaded Bryce 7 Pro.  I have some items in my DIM that are for Bryce but I have no idea how to load them into Bryce.  Also, where would the files for freebies be placed in the program once they are downloaded?  After a couple of disasters (now resolved and will NEVER happen again lol) I am very hesitant to put files anywhere without knowing what I am doing.  This is the message I am getting.  I have no idea how to set the path or where to go to do this. 

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Stressed Metal Texture Kit Br" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.
  • Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Temple of the Pharaohs BryceCF" requires that the installed path for "Bryce 7 Pro, 7" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,288

Ice Dragon Art - welcome to Bryce. The Install Manager (DIM) is made for Studio and does a good job there. Bryce handles content a bit different and DIM is not helpful. If you use DIM to download Bryce content, set the install folder to any temporary you wish and then go from there. I never use DIM for Bryce content but just download the ZIP from my Product Library. Then I unpack the files and copy them to the required folders.

Here is a PDF that explains where things belong: https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf I hope this helps.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Horo said:

Ice Dragon Art - welcome to Bryce. The Install Manager (DIM) is made for Studio and does a good job there. Bryce handles content a bit different and DIM is not helpful. If you use DIM to download Bryce content, set the install folder to any temporary you wish and then go from there. I never use DIM for Bryce content but just download the ZIP from my Product Library. Then I unpack the files and copy them to the required folders.

Here is a PDF that explains where things belong: https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf I hope this helps.

Thank you!  That is exactly what I need.  I have no problem downloading them myself I just didn't know where to put them lol.  I'm excited to learn a bit more about this program and look forward to seeing what can be done with it.  Very impressed with what I have seen so far and am hoping to be able to use this in conjuction with Daz and Photoshop.

Thank you for reporting back. Good to hear that it helped. I wish you infinite fun with Bryce. There are more documents and links to videos on my website that may or may not help you.

edited December 2015
    Horo said:

Thank you for reporting back. Good to hear that it helped. I wish you infinite fun with Bryce. There are more documents and links to videos on my website that may or may not help you.

Thank you!  I will check them out.  One more quick question.  Does it matter that insatlled this completey backwards?  I think I installed half of it before I installed the Bryce 7.  I know I installed the Pro portion first, not realizing that they were separate pieces.  Seems to be working just fine but I can uninstall and re install since I haven't actually added anything to the program yet.  Oh and will content for previous versions of Bryce work with this one?

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

The "Pro" bits are just more extra materials and models. As long as hey show in your libraries from within Bryce, it'll be fine.

Yes, old stuff from all previous versions of Bryce will work... What you may find is that older stuff will benefit greatly from tweaking materials to suit better, the newest lighting and rendering options.

The "Pro" bits are just more extra materials and models. As long as hey show in your libraries from within Bryce, it'll be fine.

Yes, old stuff from all previous versions of Bryce will work... What you may find is that older stuff will benefit greatly from tweaking materials to suit better, the newest lighting and rendering options.

Great thank you! I'm off to see if i can the content I have from DAZ into the right folders now lol.  I will be following Horo's directions very carefully.

Okay.  Tried loading this Bryce file    Presets/Thecloister_companion.br5.  However if I just load it into the presets file it doesn't show up.  And there is no folder with .br5 to put it in.  Would it go in the .br7 file?  This is a the product http://www.daz3d.com/brc-the-cloister

Bryce scene files (br4, br5, br6, br7) can be anywhere, doesn't need to be in Presets (probably better in Content). Start Bryce and locate the file and load it. The open dialogue defaults to br7, just open the file type dropdown to select br5.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Sonja, what you have in that BCF is a light set basically.  so if you take the cloister over from DS  into the .br5 scene it will be lit correctly

Chohole said:

Sonja, what you have in that BCF is a light set basically.  so if you take the cloister over from DS  into the .br5 scene it will be lit correctly

Okay so, I would use the import from Daz to bring the cloister over and then this is what I would use to light that project then?  Sorry I'm trying hard to figure out what goes where.  So if that's the case how do I find the .br5 scene to use it?

"Bryce scene files (br4, br5, br6, br7) can be anywhere, doesn't need to be in Presets (probably better in Content). Start Bryce and locate the file and load it. The open dialogue defaults to br7, just open the file type dropdown to select br5."

I'm guessing this is how I would find it once I load it to the content folder then?

File them in a folder called what ever you like.   Mine, has the very original title of "Bryce Scene Files"

Chohole said:

File them in a folder called what ever you like.   Mine, has the very original title of "Bryce Scene Files"

Lol that makes senses.  So I load this first before I do anything else in the scene correct? Ugh my brain is starting to hurt lol.  Going to spend some time tonight reading through everything again and tracking down some more tutorials.  Starting with the ones listed here and then working my way through the ones on you tube. I get the basics of how to do a scene and watched some very good beginner you tube videos from David last night.  Its the adding content and getting it to where it needs to be that is throwing me off.  I figure if I have it I might as well use it.  And i have some beautiful HDRI's i would like to load as well.  But I can wait til I get a good handle on the tutorials.

And thank you!!  for the help and your patience everyone!

We are very friendly in this forum

I guess too soon for you at the moment,  but in the Bryce challenge we do give out a special prize for best New user, when we get a new user to give it to.

Chohole said:

We are very friendly in this forum

I guess too soon for you at the moment,  but in the Bryce challenge we do give out a special prize for best New user, when we get a new user to give it to.

I know everyone so far has been fantastic since I joined Daz in Sept.  Seriously just amazing how willing people are to help.  Ya I don't think day two qualifies me as ready to try for that particular honor but I am off work from Christmas Eve to New Years day so I am hoping to spend several long hours working on various projects in Bryce and Daz.

Well you have till the 31st of December to come up with a Surreal world for the challenge.   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65872/bryce-render-challenge-surreal-worlds/p1

I think I figured it out.  The sky and land are the preset from Daz for Fairytale Castle.  The rest of it is from Bryce, the planets, the trees and the bridge.  I am going to like this program I can tell already lol.

Bridge with Fog First Attempt.jpg
    864 x 582 - 87K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916

I just picked up Bryce Pro. Been probably... 20 years since I last owned Bryce? Heh.

So I primarily use Daz Studio, but I like the idea of making backdrops. Beyond that, though... are there any particularly cool things I can do to synergize the two products?

I assume the very cool procedural shaders are pretty much Bryce-only, right?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I just picked up Bryce Pro. Been probably... 20 years since I last owned Bryce? Heh.

So I primarily use Daz Studio, but I like the idea of making backdrops. Beyond that, though... are there any particularly cool things I can do to synergize the two products?

I assume the very cool procedural shaders are pretty much Bryce-only, right?

Yes. 

There's also some Bryce content (I think there are seashells somewhere) that's hard to find in obj form that you can export.  But for the most part you'll be importing things from Studio and rendering.

I really should get Bryce reinstalled...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916

... ugh, there's a render size limit? Dang it.

I got it because I was able to pick it up for $4.59 or so and thought that it would great for backgrounds.  But the more i look into the more I see just how much I can do with this.  Add in Daz and Photoshop and I think the possibilities will be limitless.  Even with render size limits.

Chohole said:

Well you have till the 31st of December to come up with a Surreal world for the challenge.   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/65872/bryce-render-challenge-surreal-worlds/p1

I will have to see what I can do.  Not sure how much time I will have but I might just give it a go.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2015

... ugh, there's a render size limit? Dang it.

Although the renderer will only render at a max of 4000 pixels, it is relatively easy to tile a render in as many 4000px sections as you wish to make an infinite sized render.

Having said that, a 4000px render will reproduce at a surprisingly large size on a large format digital colour printer without pixelation.

Post edited by Dave Savage on

Will - another limitation is the memory. Bryce is still a 32- bit application and has a 2 GB limit. However, if your system has more than 4 GB of memory, you can extend Bryce up to around 3.5 GB by making it large address aware. However, procedural materials (or shaders) don't use much memory.

Horo said:

Will - another limitation is the memory. Bryce is still a 32- bit application and has a 2 GB limit. However, if your system has more than 4 GB of memory, you can extend Bryce up to around 3.5 GB by making it large address aware. However, procedural materials (or shaders) don't use much memory.

What is the process of making it large address aware? (Mind you I have NO idea what that means but I do have a ton of memory on my PC.  I originally replaced my old pc with gaming in mind so I bought as much power and memory as I could afford.  Which is handy since I found DAZ about 3 months later lol.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Download Large Address Aware from somewhere.  I'm not sure where the official download location is... possibly http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ but I"m not sure, I have a copy saved locally and don't recall where I got it.  Hopefully another Brycer here can confirm or correct that download location?  Then:

Unzip "laa_2_0_4.zip" to a temporary folder and Run "Large Address Aware.exe".  In the first window, click the "..." button and paste the location of the Bryce executable (WINDOWS 7: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Bryce.exe") into the BOTTOM filename field.   Check the "Step 2" box, then press the Save button, then Exit.
        Delete the unzipped folder with the settings.save that got written to it.

sriesch said:

Download Large Address Aware from somewhere.  I'm not sure where the official download location is... possibly http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ but I"m not sure, I have a copy saved locally and don't recall where I got it.  Hopefully another Brycer here can confirm or correct that download location?  Then:

Unzip "laa_2_0_4.zip" to a temporary folder and Run "Large Address Aware.exe".  In the first window, click the "..." button and paste the location of the Bryce executable (WINDOWS 7: "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Bryce.exe") into the BOTTOM filename field.   Check the "Step 2" box, then press the Save button, then Exit.
        Delete the unzipped folder with the settings.save that got written to it.

Thank you!

edited December 2015

Here's a video I made a while ago: Bryce Memory Shortage - and what you can do about it 

Post edited by Horo on
    Horo said:

Here's a video I made a while ago: Bryce Memory Shortage - and what you can do about it 

Thank you.  I just ran into this today.  Had a (what I thought) was a pretty simple scene, terrain, sky, water, imported the steam boat from daz and then tried to import a figure from daz and it said it was out of memory.  Off to go watch

edited December 2015

Well that was most helpful thank you!  Off to download...Editing to add that the was incredibly easy to do. 

Post edited by IceDragonArt on