For cpu rendering is core count threads or speed most important?

Because I can't and will never be able to afford RTX or a render farm because well I'm poor I'm forced to use cpu rendering for Daz Studio. So what is most important faster cpu clock speed more cores more threads or some combination of the three? I'm looking at i7 12700k or i5 13600k because that's the best I can afford I have 32gb ddr5 5600mhz a 1tb 2.5 ssd boot drive and 8tb hard drive and i5 12400 non k cpu now 

Comments

• I have an i9 14900k somewhere in one of my backup rigs if it'll do me any good for faster cpu rendering. Let me know if that is the best option too as I don't have any pressing needs for it otherwise.

• Both matter - more threads allows for mor steps in parallel, more speed allows eachs tep to complete faster. I would suspect that threads often matter more than speed, but it will probably depend on the exact numbers. Not having a GPU will also lock you out of the built-in denoring, but there are other options - if you  cancel the render, without closing the window, then use File>Save Last Render to save it (so that the render window stays open) you will then be able to run an external denoiser, and if the image still needs more iterations you will be able to click the resume button on the render window.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited February 10

PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

While different applications stress the CPU in different ways, I've found these benchmarks are a pretty good indicator of relative speed of 3Delight rendering.  This thread:

Daz Studio Iray - Rendering Hardware Benchmarking - Daz 3D Forums

may have some CPU benchmark information using Iray.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,178

milliethegreat said:

Because I can't and will never be able to afford RTX or a render farm because well I'm poor I'm forced to use cpu rendering for Daz Studio. So what is most important faster cpu clock speed more cores more threads or some combination of the three? I'm looking at i7 12700k or i5 13600k because that's the best I can afford I have 32gb ddr5 5600mhz a 1tb 2.5 ssd boot drive and 8tb hard drive and i5 12400 non k cpu now 

It doesn't cost that much more than either of those two processors (and less than the 14900K you already have) to get an RTX 4060ti with 16GB of VRAM, which will make a much bigger difference in your render speeds than any CPU upgrade.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

Of the three options you listed, based on specs, the i9 14900k would be the best option, and you already have it.

Another option that would provide an extreme increase in rendering speed at the same price point of the first two options you listed (assuming you are buying retail and not used) would be a RTX 3060 - 12gb. You would need enough room in your case/mother board as it requires 2 slots (just connects to one, so the second slot would be just room for the fans).

• airjoeairjoe Posts: 13

There are some sites that provide benchmark data for GPUs, which are orders of magnitude faster at Iray rendering.

One reliable source for hardware benching information in the creative space is Pugetsystems. They have loads of benchmarks, among them GPU rendering tests. They just put out an article on the Nvidia 40xx super series cards and they have plenty of articles on CPUs as well.

• Gordig said:

milliethegreat said:

It doesn't cost that much more than either of those two processors (and less than the 14900K you already have) to get an RTX 4060ti with 16GB of VRAM, which will make a much bigger difference in your render speeds than any CPU upgrade.

On what planet do you live on/country do you live in? A 13600k is sub $300 on Amazon prime in the USA a 4060ti is going for more than that. Heck an Intel arc 770 is at bare minimum $300 on Amazon prime around here! And I hear they ain't very good!

• @gordig Those are over $100 more dude! I don't have money like that! I'm on a fixed income!

• @dustrider my i9 died a few months after having it. A few other customers complained of the same issues I'm having so now I'm down to the two CPUs I mentioned. I'm NOT looking for any gpu or more expensive CPU or amd cpu as the CPUs I mentioned are the MOST expensive I can afford guys 

• Between the two cpus which should I go with ?

There isn't a lot of performance different between the two, but the  i5 13600k consistently outperforms the i7 12700k on various CineBench tests. The i5 13600k also has more L2 cache (20Mb vs 10Mb) and slightly higher max memory bandwidth (89.6 GB/s vs 76.8 GB/s). These differences plus being a generation newer are no doubt are what helps it get the slight performance boost at lower clock speeds. The i5 13600k also has a slightly lower TDP - PL2 (181 W vs 190 W) which could indicate a bit better efficiency (which you would expect with a newer generation processor).

I would go with the i5 13600k, but the differences aren't huge, so either one would be good. I think what edges out the i5 13600k in my mind is it has better multi-thread performance which should translate well to rendering with Iray..

• kprkpr Posts: 47

Whichever chip you have, CPU-only rendering just means leaving your machine on "over night"... Sometimes all day too smiley

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer <-- Buy this when on sale and you can afford (and spend a while figuring how to use it!). You will get better/faster results (per $) than with a replacement CPU

Richard's tip is great too.

• It's so difficult to judge performance these days, with boost clock behaviour and clock frequency dependent upon temperature.  There are so many variables, including thermal paste (!), cooling, case air flow, etc.

• DustRider said:

There isn't a lot of performance different between the two, but the  i5 13600k consistently outperforms the i7 12700k on various CineBench tests. The i5 13600k also has more L2 cache (20Mb vs 10Mb) and slightly higher max memory bandwidth (89.6 GB/s vs 76.8 GB/s). These differences plus being a generation newer are no doubt are what helps it get the slight performance boost at lower clock speeds. The i5 13600k also has a slightly lower TDP - PL2 (181 W vs 190 W) which could indicate a bit better efficiency (which you would expect with a newer generation processor).

I would go with the i5 13600k, but the differences aren't huge, so either one would be good. I think what edges out the i5 13600k in my mind is it has better multi-thread performance which should translate well to rendering with Iray..

It i can fix my i9 14900k 14th gen (which i think I did) will that be my best option? A $400 gpu is horrendously expensive for me. I'd be lucky to afford $350 (including tax and shipping) gpu but I don't think anything in that price range is worth it for this.

Yes, the i9 14900k would be your best option. For multi-thread performance it averages around 10% or better (up to around 35%) than the i5 13600k.

If you get it working, that might enable you to invest in a GPU. A RTX 3060 !2GB would be lightning fast compared to CPU rendering. If you're in the US, you can find them on line new for just under $300. You could go for a card with just 8GB to save some cost, but they might be too limiting (everything in my gallery here was done on a GPU with 8GB or less, except for the last two images, to give you an Idea what can be done). Unfortunately a lot of the newer content is a lot more memory intensive, so you might not be able to fit as much in a scene if you are using G9. But, if you can't afford a GPU I fully understand. I just know that it makes the whole creative experience in DAZ much better.

Good luck, Hopefully your i9 14900k is working again. That's definitely the best option for performance.

• airjoeairjoe Posts: 13
    edited February 20

I have to second any GPU you can get that has at least 12 GB Vram. A second hand (non-bitcoin-farming) 3060 12 GB has an enormous impact.

The Youtube channel Hardware Unboxed puts out a monthly GPU pricing video for most major markets. They're a good testing channel in general though Pudgetsystems does a more thorough workup of rendering benchmarks. They just put out a new pricing video.

Check out 9:00 for info on the current 30 series pricing, which includes the 3060 12 GB.

Has anyone tried the 4060 Ti 16 GB ? I don't hear great things about it for gaming but for rendering it may be a decent inexpensive option just for its larger VRAM capacity ? I don't have $1000 for a 4080 Super 16 GB. The 4060 Ti in overall gaming benchmarks is about 45% faster than the 3060. Might be worth a look for rendering.

Post edited by airjoe on
  • Spending more than $300 for a graphics card is insane period!! I think people should stop and think do I really need it? If not look for alternatives. Millie I would try using the Daz to Blender bridge and render there. Blender does not penalize you for not having a Iray video card.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

Silver Dolphin said:

Spending more than $300 for a graphics card is insane period!! I think people should stop and think do I really need it? If not look for alternatives. Millie I would try using the Daz to Blender bridge and render there. Blender does not penalize you for not having a Iray video card.

Up here one can buy a 12GB RTX 3060 brand new from a retail store for less than 250eur. I would expect one to find it for less than $250 in the states.

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 164

Speed, not core count for me.

• milliethegreatmilliethegreat Posts: 156

Silver Dolphin said:

Spending more than $300 for a graphics card is insane period!! I think people should stop and think do I really need it? If not look for alternatives. Millie I would try using the Daz to Blender bridge and render there. Blender does not penalize you for not having a Iray video card.

I use unreal engine a lot but like unreal engine you lose important (at least to me) features like geoshells certain hairs and furs and stuff like that which are all important to me. I'm trying to figure out a way to afford a 16gb gpu Nvidia version preferably RTX as 12gb is cutting it way too close. I have a 12gb Titan x and it almost always kicks it to the cpu which is why I'm just trying to do CPU only rendering. Unless I use a render farm (which I WILL NOT use) it's gonna always kick it to the cpu. Especially with the new stuff out there for Daz on top of stuff I imported from other software 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

milliethegreat said:

Silver Dolphin said:

I use unreal engine a lot but like unreal engine you lose important (at least to me) features like geoshells certain hairs and furs and stuff like that which are all important to me. I'm trying to figure out a way to afford a 16gb gpu Nvidia version preferably RTX as 12gb is cutting it way too close. I have a 12gb Titan x and it almost always kicks it to the cpu which is why I'm just trying to do CPU only rendering. Unless I use a render farm (which I WILL NOT use) it's gonna always kick it to the cpu. Especially with the new stuff out there for Daz on top of stuff I imported from other software 

Because your Titan is not an RTX card, about 1GB of additional VRAM is used for the emulation of RTX features.