Barista-style apron for G9?

SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 178
edited February 9 in Product Suggestions

I'm slamming into a wall with this one... I've found waist-only aprons, sexy aprons, bulky/long aprons, really narrow aprons, and BBQ-style guy aprons for earlier generations that don't look at all good on my gal.

I'd love to see a nice, functional worker's apron of the sort worn by workers at coffee shops, home improvement stores, etc. Something that can move with someone who's doing more than standing at a counter. Bonus points for a few decal options that have a generic sort of coffee cup, hammer, bag of groceries, or the like that could make it look like the store uniform without getting into any copyright issues.

Thank you for your consideration!

Post edited by SilverGirl on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,675
    edited February 9

cheeky

Chef_apron_V9_2.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by felis on
  • ElorElor Posts: 700

Apron 1 and 2 from this set for G8F looks like what you want, but for some reasons, autofitting apron 2 to a Genesis 9 figure result in Daz studio crashing and I have no idea why. Apron 3 doesn't crash Daz studio, but it's more frilly than the other two. Maybe you'll get luckier than me.

https://sharecg.com/v/98936/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/dForce-apron-set-for-G8F%21

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 178

Elor said:

Apron 1 and 2 from this set for G8F looks like what you want, but for some reasons, autofitting apron 2 to a Genesis 9 figure result in Daz studio crashing and I have no idea why. Apron 3 doesn't crash Daz studio, but it's more frilly than the other two. Maybe you'll get luckier than me.

https://sharecg.com/v/98936/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/dForce-apron-set-for-G8F%21

Those are a bit more femmed-up than I'm looking for, but thank you! 

edited February 9

felis said:

cheeky

Maybe that's my problem. My character just needs to go to work naked.

Because (assuming that's the G8M chef's apron from the link previous) trying to outfit it on my character with clothes underneath got horrible poke-through, and trying to adjust it just... well, maybe I'm not good enough at it yet, but I couldn't get it to look right.

• This works every now & again:

Fit the clothing to the next layer down rather than the character. That way the normal gap that's present between the article you're fitting & the character instead happens between the article being fitted and the outer clothing. Hopefully this gives more room and less poke through. Sometimes it works, sometimes there is too much gap. 

Regards,

Richard

edited February 9

richardandtracy said:

This works every now & again:

Fit the clothing to the next layer down rather than the character. That way the normal gap that's present between the article you're fitting & the character instead happens between the article being fitted and the outer clothing. Hopefully this gives more room and less poke through. Sometimes it works, sometimes there is too much gap. 

Regards,

Richard 

Holy crap, I didn't even know you could do that! Regardless of whether it works for this one, I have a new tool in my pocket. Thank you!!! 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,968
    edited February 9

SilverGirl said:

felis said:

cheeky

Because (assuming that's the G8M chef's apron from the link previous) trying to outfit it on my character with clothes underneath got horrible poke-through, and trying to adjust it just... well, maybe I'm not good enough at it yet, but I couldn't get it to look right.

Have ypu tried a Push Modifer (Edit>Figure>Apply Push Modifier)? If it works in some places and not others you can weight-map it to rstrict the effect (Create>New Push Modifier Weight Node). You could apply the Push Modifier to the clothes under the apron, especially for any straps/ties at the back of the apron as (depending on the mesh structure) that might allow a reawlistic-looking dent.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Richard Haseltine said:

SilverGirl said:

felis said:

cheeky

Have ypu tried a Push Modifer (Edit>Figure>Apply Push Modifier)? If it works in some places and not others you can weight-map it to rstrict the effect (Create>New Push Modifier Weight Node). You could apply the Push Modifier to the clothes under the apron, especially for any straps/ties at the back of the apron as (depending on the mesh structure) that might allow a reawlistic-looking dent.

I have not! I will look into that, thank you... I'm sitll new enough that I don't even know that most of this stuff even exists, or the terminology to use to search for it. I was pretty proud of myself for figuring out how to edit a freckle off of a character's face the other day, but lighting and getting clothes to fit still has me cussing. (Would probably help if my youngest kiddo wasn't somehow morally opposed to me watching YouTube tutorials. Maybe if Cookie Monster was doing them I could get a pass... heh.)

edited February 9

It was just for fun.

But truth is, the apron neither behave too nicely to autofit, nor to simulations with other cloth under.

Here I have used a push modifier before running simulation.

Chef_apron_V9_3.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by felis on

felis said:

It was just for fun.

But truth is, the apron neither behave too nicely to autofit, nor to simulations with other cloth under.

Here I have used a push modifier before running simulation.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case... I tried the suggestions in this thread, and it just doesn't seem to be able to cope with either the folds in her T-shirt or the fact that she isn't flat-chested, and the options on the Fit Control For G9F utility don't seem to be able to compensate either, not even messing with both the shirt and the apron.

...so I guess I'm back to still needing an apron.

But! I now knowing some additional stuff I didn't know, so I'll definitely count that part a win. Thank you to folks for taking time to educate me. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,968
    edited February 10

You can simply hide areas that are covered by the apron (after all, the folds would probably be flattened). For bones thata re wholly obscured you can use the eye icon next to the unwanted bone in the Scene pane (or the Visible button in the Parameters pane if you select the bones).

Where only part of a bone is to be hidden, or where the outfit doesn't have nice selection groups assigned to the bones, you can hide selected areas though it is a bit fiddly to make it persist.

1. First, activate the Geometry Editor tool with the outfit you want to hide selected, then drag across the surface to select areas to be Hidden; once you have as much as you can conveniently select right-click>Geometry Assignment>Create Face Group from Selected and give it a name like Hidden Parts.
    2. Select more areas you want hidden, if you didn't get them all on the first go, and this time right-click>Geometry Assignment>Assign To Face Group>Hidden Parts until you have more-or less all of it (you can always add or remove polygons later). (You could just use right-click>Geoemtry Visibility>Hide Selected, but that doesn't stay hidden between session so you would have to rehide it each time.)
    3. What I would do is activate the Joint Editor tool, then right-click>Create>Create Child Bone, then give it a name like VisibilityToggle (it isn't going to affect posing, it is just going to be a way to switch some parts of the model off, so you can ignore the rotation order and just create it as a child of the Hip even if the area to be affected is far from the hip).
    4. Once you have the bone, select (with the Joint editor still active) it and then at top-right of the Tool Settings pane click the Selection Group button and pick the Hidden Parts group you just created

Now you can hide the selected areas as you could a regular bone, and the state will be remembered between sessions. (You can also assign the polygons to a new surface group and make that wholly transparent in the Surfaces pane, but things you actually hide don't get sent to the render engine at all while invisible surfaces do - so my method saves a bit of memory.)

Once done with the Geometry Selection tool and Joint Edior switch back to a regular posing tool - certain featuers, like strand-based hair and Geoemtry Grafts, do not show their end results while the geometry/rig-level editing tools are active.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Oh... wow, that seems complicated but probably worth figuring out. (And probably a lot easier/intuitive once I've done it a time or three.) Thank you! That'll be my next move. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750
    edited February 10

My go to apron is the dForce H&C Apron and Casual Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s) | Daz 3D so I converted it to G9 this morning on my Win 11 and then loaded it up on Victoria 9. There is two ways to load the apron, as a  set with the tee shirt and by itself. Both converted just fine, along with the jeans and boots, I ran into two issues of the breast area and then the triangle at the crotch. For some reason the SY DeTriangulator can't find the installed files I need. But I tried the manual auto-fit of the tee and apron and used the loose fit template and it worked better in this case. The breasts, well I just accepted what I got. For a canvas type apron, this shouldn't be the look. Maybe someone has some suggestions? I didn't bother with Mesh Grabber, I have to get to work. But the apron has two deep pockets, not sure if they are real or not. I have attached the render I did after simulation for you on V9. 

Mary

Test of HnC Apron n Casual Outfit for G8M on V9.png
    900 x 1456 - 2M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited February 10

I admit I looked at that one and passed because all the promo images were standing straight and it looked kind of stiff... she needs to do sword fights in it. Does it flow okay when posed?

edited February 10

devil

G9_apron.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by felis on

LOL Well alrighty then! Problem solved! Thank you so much!

SilverGirl said:

Sorry, that is not H&C apron. That is one I modelled for G9.

I can pack it. Just be aware dependant on which close there is below, there might be some pokethrough that needs fixing. 

edited February 10

felis said:

SilverGirl said:

Sorry, that is not H&C apron. That is one I modelled for G9.

I can pack it. Just be aware dependant on which close there is below, there might be some pokethrough that needs fixing. 

Oh, sorry, my bad, that'll teach me to answer while I'm multitasking and not look more closely at who's posting. 

Thanks for the offer, but no need to trouble yourself... I'm still fighting with it and getting closer with the pokethrough issue. Seems like it shouldn't have to be so hard, but c'est la vie.