dForce simulations in animations

I see a lot of artists using DAZ Studio with its dForce physics engine for still image renders but few trying to tackle full-on animations. My main issue with dForce is that you can only simulate so many frames before things start to break down. Not sure if I'm missing something crucial in the workflow or just expecting too much from my present hardware. My simulations are only 2 secs. at the longest!

Ryzan7 5800X

64GB DDR4 ram

2 ASUS 3060 GEFORCE RTX cards

2TB M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS

Sample hair animation: (would not load!)

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,308

More info. is needed ~
    - you simulated with the Timeline?
    - what do you mean by "break down" ... explosion, crash or sth. ?

I don't think there's any problem or limitation with your hardware in terms of a simulation.

• DForce is OK for certain things but can be very temperamental, with so many dials it's very hard to know what needs fixing.  Most important thing is to ensure there's no self-intersections or intersections with the character mesh (from the pose) before you start it.  It works in animations fine otherwise.  If you want to loop it you really need to get into scripting, exporting each frame as .obj and importing back as a morph on the clothing, fading it out towards the end back to the first frame.  So, non-trivial.

• crosswind said:

More info. is needed ~
    - you simulated with the Timeline?
    - what do you mean by "break down" ... explosion, crash or sth. ?

I don't think there's any problem or limitation with your hardware in terms of a simulate

When I'm simulating the hair of my character with 130 frames the hair strips start to break off.  And after 200 frames the character is bolder than I am!

• felisfelis Posts: 4,212

Which hair are you simulating?

I have never seen hair strips breaking off.

Or are you doing something radical along the timeline, where the hair doesn't have time to settle?