Linday's Classic Long Side Bangs Hair G9 going through objects

I seem to be having a problem with simulating Linday's Classic Long Side Bangs Hair G9 going through objects. I have my G9 in a laying down position on her back, and the floor slowly rising to meet it during a 60-frame timeline. The hair goes right through a plane. I then tried something thicker, just a random terrain piece, and that slowed it down a little, but the majority of it still went through. I know on previous versions you had to set the character to static in some cases (or was it dynamic?), but I've never had an issue like this before. I understand that the hair may have issues if it contacts G9 at the same time, but at this point the terrain hasn't yet made contact with the character and the hair is still penetrating the surface of it (see attached render). 

If I change the object's density, will that even have an effect ? Or do I need to be looking at another setting ? I just don't have enough experience to figure out how to prevent this.

Hair through surface.png
1251 x 1030 - 722K

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,853

What is the resolution on the plane?

It is the verteces that collide.

• I have found a few times that items with smaller facet sizes (closer to the facet size in the hair) are better at stopping the hair than facets ([say] 20x the size of the hair facets. My be worth checking.

Regards,

Richard

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,130
    edited February 7

Most of Linday's hairs were made with Tubes rather than Hair Cards / Hair Lines. Tubes (esp. low base poly) can easily be intersected with the geometory of other objects.... Like the draping result on a G9, you can see the hair also penetrates into the head and body of the figure... Of course you can tweak the properties on dynamic surfaces, however, as long as it drapes, the penetration can not be 100% prevented, unless you set high stiffness, as well as low dynamic strength, etc...But if go for that way, simulation will be meaningless...

So, my experience is: in your case, after simulation, if really needed, just push the back hair up with Mesh Grabber or in Blender, then import OBJ as a corrective morph.

SNAG-2024-2-8-0030.png
    2017 x 1396 - 756K
    SNAG-2024-2-8-0032.png
    1470 x 1302 - 2M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Thanks for the help. I ended up using dForce Classic Hair by Linday for G8 (which I hate to do because the conversion bloats the file size with the new morphs and bones) and did not have the issue. Yes, the hair does penetrate surfaces, but I never had it completely go through like the G9 version did. With the G9 hair one, the hair went completely through as if the object wasn't there at all, while if you look at the accompanying screenshot, you will see the older version penetrated just a little bit, but for the most part stopped. To me, this means the hair is not working correctly, as previous versions worked just fine. 

The image on the left is the G8 version, while the right one is the G9. 

Perhaps the newer hair is built slightly differently. I will try adjusting the vertices on the plane - I used this same plane in both hair simulations and got different results with the different hair types.

Linday makes wonderful hair and I use their hair all the time; I just think with this version, something is missing or a setting is off. As the end user, I should be able to use the hair in normal situations without having to monkey with it to get it to work right. That is my opinion for all products sold. If it does not, it should be updated. I hope this one will be in the future, because I both like it and want to use it. 

Hair.png
    2400 x 1600 - 4M
    Hair through surface.png
    1251 x 1030 - 722K
  • One trick I use to deal with simulated long hair and garments is to set up the item which the hair needs to detect and fall onto as a dForce Static Surface.

Select the object the hair's falling through:  Edit ->  Object ->  Geometry -> Add dForce Modifier Static Surface.

Sometimes the object's mesh is too coarse and dForce fabrics will still fall through, but this solves the problem for me 90% of the time.  Afterward, you can also go to the Surface dForce settings of the object and play with Friction, if needed.

Cheers,

Olo

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,130

Hexdrake21 said:

Thanks for the help. I ended up using dForce Classic Hair by Linday for G8 (which I hate to do because the conversion bloats the file size with the new morphs and bones) and did not have the issue. Yes, the hair does penetrate surfaces, but I never had it completely go through like the G9 version did. With the G9 hair one, the hair went completely through as if the object wasn't there at all, while if you look at the accompanying screenshot, you will see the older version penetrated just a little bit, but for the most part stopped. To me, this means the hair is not working correctly, as previous versions worked just fine. 

The image on the left is the G8 version, while the right one is the G9. 

Perhaps the newer hair is built slightly differently. I will try adjusting the vertices on the plane - I used this same plane in both hair simulations and got different results with the different hair types.

Linday makes wonderful hair and I use their hair all the time; I just think with this version, something is missing or a setting is off. As the end user, I should be able to use the hair in normal situations without having to monkey with it to get it to work right. That is my opinion for all products sold. If it does not, it should be updated. I hope this one will be in the future, because I both like it and want to use it. 

I just had more test with it. I think I mis-judged the case of this hair... The base faces of this hair is 54K, then I added a Plane with 150 devisions (22K faces) , then it worked fine on both of G8/G9 hairs. Pls have more experiment, even with more divisions.

SNAG-2024-2-11-0053.png
    2029 x 1397 - 1M
  • Hexdrake21Hexdrake21 Posts: 91

Ty Crosswind! I have just enough knowledge to get me into trouble. I recently had the same issue with a dForce outfit. I guess the newer items are going to have more subdivisions. Tbh, I am not sure how subdivions work, but I see now how that will fix the issue. Thank you very much for your help!