How to transfer copy/pasted references to different computer???

So it took me a while to figure out how to correctly transfer my script and favorites menues from one computer to another. Now what I'm trying to figure out is if i can get all of my pasted references to move over as well. In case i need to explain exactly what I mean here goes. Lets say I have an outfit and that outfit has a texture package made by another creator and does show up in the smart conent with that outfit. You open that material package up in Products in the content library. Fromt the smart contente window you right click on an item Show Asset In>Content Library>Products. Once in this window you can right click on and item(s) and click Copy. Then you can navigate to the product that has the outfit for this example. Once in the product that you want to move the copied items to you right click in the pane and select Paste Reference. This will create copies of those items in that product that will show up in smart content so things are grouped together nice and neat rather that having to go to different products in smart content. So, with all that being said my question now is when i transfer to a differenct computer, how do i also transfer that information. I use the same portable hard drive on both computers, I've exported and imported metadata to get my smart content working. Ive got my custom menues working on both computers now but not these references. Also for that matter, Items such as custom materials that I've created no longer show in smart content on the other computer I've transfered to either. Please help.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277
    edited February 6

Yes, after you Pasted Reference, the reference metadata of that material preset was updated to cms database but not to the shared XML file of metadata (*.dsx file in: runtime\support folder) of the main product.

You just right click on the main product to "Edit Metadata", you'll see the added material preset in Assets list, then tick Auto Export on the bottom of the diaologue box, Accept. Then the main product's dsx file will be updated. In this way, you can re-import metadata of the products in other PC, after replicating your Daz Library from current PC to that PC...

Another way is: you can backup the whole cms database and restore it into other PCs... then all metadata can be synchronized.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

Yes, after you Pasted Reference, the reference metadata of that material preset was updated to cms database but not to the shared XML file of metadata (*.dsx file in: runtime\support folder) of the main product.

You just right click on the main product to "Edit Metadata", you'll see the added material preset in Assets list, then tick Auto Export on the bottom of the diaologue box, Accept. Then the main product's dsx file will be updated. In this way, you can re-import metadata of the products in other PC, after replicating your Daz Library from current PC to that PC...

Another way is: you can backup the whole cms database and restore it into other PCs... then all metadata can be synchronized.

If I'm using the same hard drive and just moving it from one computer to the next is this still the process i need to follow. Ive done this to a lot of products so im looking at the second option. What would be the file path for the cms database? Also thank you for your help.

Directly moving the disk will be much more convenient. So, as default, cms database locates in your C drive with the path: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\

Paste the above path in File Browser, you'll find a sub-folder: cms. Copy this folder to the drive where your Daz Library locates. In another PC, after installing DS and postgreSQL cms, press F2 in DS, CMS Settings tab, configure Cluster folder to that "cms" folder on the drive of your Daz Libray. Start the connection and check your Smart Content to make sure you find those products well.

If everything is OK, you can replicate that "cms" folder to %appdata%\DAZ 3D\ if you'd like... Remember to synchronize the settings of cms path in Install Manger !

• crosswind said:

Directly moving the disk will be much more convenient. So, as default, cms database locates in your C drive with the path: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\

Paste the above path in File Browser, you'll find a sub-folder: cms. Copy this folder to the drive where your Daz Library locates. In another PC, after installing DS and postgreSQL cms, press F2 in DS, CMS Settings tab, configure Cluster folder to that "cms" folder on the drive of your Daz Libray. Start the connection and check your Smart Content to make sure you find those products well.

If everything is OK, you can replicate that "cms" folder to %appdata%\DAZ 3D\ if you'd like... Remember to synchronize the settings of cms path in Install Manger !

Cms on the origional pc is located where you said and I have it copied to the portable drive so i can move it. Do i copy the cms database to the appdata\DAZ 3D\ location on the next computer?

reubendgonzales81 said:

crosswind said:

Cms on the origional pc is located where you said and I have it copied to the portable drive so i can move it. Do i copy the cms database to the appdata\DAZ 3D\ location on the next computer?

As I mentioned above, you first of all test everything by just connecting to cms database on the portable drive. Then if you'd like, you may copy it to %appdata%\DAZ 3D\, or just keep it on your portable drive to save the space on your C drive. It's up to you.

• crosswind said:

reubendgonzales81 said:

crosswind said:

As I mentioned above, you first of all test everything by just connecting to cms database on the portable drive. Then if you'd like, you may copy it to %appdata%\DAZ 3D\, or just keep it on your portable drive to save the space on your C drive. It's up to you.

That is working correcty. Hopefully final question here, how do i syncronize settings of cms path in install manager?

edited February 6

That is working correcty. Hopefully final question here, how do i syncronize settings of cms path in install manager?

Normally after you configuring cms path in DS, Install Manager will read that path directly. But you better further check it. Open Install Manager, click the gear icon in the upper right corner, Advanced Settings - Installation tab. Check if the path in "Content Database Base" is correct... It should be as same as the path you set in DS, as well as the port number.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • crosswind said:

Normally after you configuring cms path in DS, Install Manager will read that path directly. But you better further check it. Open Install Manager, click the gear icon in the upper right corner, Advanced Settings - Installation tab. Check if the path in "Content Database Base" is correct... It should be as same as the path you set in DS, as well as the port number.

Everything worked correctly. Thank you for your time and patience!

You're welcome. yes