'My Daz 3D Library' folders and contents got deleted

Hi,

A few days ago I discovered that everything from "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" has been deleted.The folders and all the contents are gone completely and I cant find any trace even using recovery tools on the hard drive.

This is was years of work and thousands of hours of custom texture / figure content lost.

Content remains in 'My Library'

I had updated to the latest Daz Studio after accidentaly clicking the update button.

So I started reinstalling some basic things over the last few days.

Today once again all my content has been deleted.I'm looking to see if another windows program could be responsible but I havn't really installed anything lately I can think of.

Any ideas?

It's the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" thats twice been deleted.I'll try moving the location for my content to see if it help.

Comments

• Daz Studio and DIM would have no occasion to do that, unless you selected everytghing in the Installed tab and clicked the process Queue button (but that would remove only the things DIM placed, not cutom content or manually isntalled content). It sounds like a rogue utility or malware, or possibly a disc error.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,919

Is this a One Drive problem, moving the files to the cloud?

• jimfunkjimfunk Posts: 3

Richard Haseltine said:

Daz Studio and DIM would have no occasion to do that, unless you selected everytghing in the Installed tab and clicked the process Queue button (but that would remove only the things DIM placed, not cutom content or manually isntalled content). It sounds like a rogue utility or malware, or possibly a disc error.

Hi and thanks for your reply,

I'll scan my computer again and see if something turns up.Seems odd that the same folder gets deleted within a few days.I'll try moving the folder location to a separate drive in the mean time.

barbult said:

HI,I don't use use online storage at all.Kept files for years on the C drive or another hard drive for safety.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

jimfunk said:

barbult said:

HI,I don't use use online storage at all.Kept files for years on the C drive or another hard drive for safety.

It's not asking for your permission 

Hi,

I uninstalled Onedrive ages ago.

Seems the contents of C/Users/Public folder have all been deleted.Only a folder dated 27/1/2024 which was probably when my stuff vanished first.

I'll get the scanning tools out and see what I can find.Thanks for the help.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

Are you certain that Windows Update didn't graciously re-install it for you? Files and folders don't disappear for no reason...

NorthOf45 said:

Are you certain that Windows Update didn't graciously re-install it for you? Files and folders don't disappear for no reason...

Hi, am certain Onedrive isn't running or installed.Agreed things don't just disappear with no trace.Like I said there is nothing recent remotely Daz related when I searched recovery data.I'd have expected to find something surviving from about 180GB of stuff from far back as V4.

I've run a scan and found a few nasties hiding in the registry and removed them all.

Also moved content location out of public documents.See if the issue is resolved.Some positives as I did have a lot of junk and Duplicate ID's from custom figures.

• All of my Daz Studio Genesis figures and saved content disappeared right off my computer hard drive for no reason after years, days and hours of hard work!   The Genesis figures and saved content are still listed in my Daz Studio account, but disappeared right off my computer hard drive!  Whenever I try to open my Daz studio figures in my Daz content library, a message would pop up on my computer screen and say 'File Does Not Exist', even though the DIM would have the Daz Studio Genesis figures listed as installed!    If they're installed, then why are they not opening?  Why does my computer keep saying 'File Does Not Exist'?  This is a lot of hard work which I need to bring back!

How do I get my missing or deleted files back on my hard drive?   I would hate to have to start the process all over again!

Gemini

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,917

geneva104_76631df59f said:

All of my Daz Studio Genesis figures and saved content disappeared right off my computer hard drive for no reason after years, days and hours of hard work!   The Genesis figures and saved content are still listed in my Daz Studio account, but disappeared right off my computer hard drive!  Whenever I try to open my Daz studio figures in my Daz content library, a message would pop up on my computer screen and say 'File Does Not Exist', even though the DIM would have the Daz Studio Genesis figures listed as installed!    If they're installed, then why are they not opening?  Why does my computer keep saying 'File Does Not Exist'?  This is a lot of hard work which I need to bring back!

How do I get my missing or deleted files back on my hard drive?   I would hate to have to start the process all over again!

Gemini

Check and make sure your manifest folder is still where DIM is pointing and that there are files within it. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,413

Most likely the path on the system no longer matches the path used by Daz Studio - if it is not on the boot drive the drive letter assigned may have changed, for example. Assuming you can still see the isntalled files check that the drive letter and folders still match those set in the Content Directory Manager - Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager button.

DIM uses the manifest files to track what is installed, it doesn't look at the CMS database or the actual installed files to check (the CMS doesn't store the full path and scanning files would be far too slow).