Trying to upload an image to a forum always fails SOLVED

contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 238

Whenever I try to upload an image to a forum, DAZ3D reports that the file is uploading, an operation that is never completed. I have tried several times over the last week and, on one occasion, waited about fifteen before closing the browser without success. This happens with both the DAZ Studio Discussion and the Product Suggestions forums, and it happens with both the Opera and the Firefox browsers. Has anyone any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks to one and all.

Post edited by contedesfees on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,524

How big is the image? The forums list a 10MB limit for uploads, but in my experience it's closer to 8.

• contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 238
    edited February 4

One image is 65.6 KB (384x500 pixels); the second is 97 KB (365x500 pixels). I'm confident I'm not over-burdening DAZ3D's capacities. In fact, I always make a point of keeping the images as small as is reasonable.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

What is the exact filename and esxtension?  Is the extension all lower case?  Unicode characters?

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

File format and even the filename can mess up an upload.

Can you give an example of the file format and filename (with extension) that you're having troube uploading? For example, one of the last files I uploaded was "Head.png". I've uploaded files with an ".jpg" extension but may have had a problem wtih ".jpeg", but I don't remember for sure. You can always try both.

• contedesfeescontedesfees Posts: 238
    edited February 4

Thanks to Gordig, Fixmypcmike, and wsterdan for your replies. I hadn't given a thought to names. They are Jessaii & Raziel - Lindsey for Sunny-7.jpg and Zeddicuss - Reflections of Beauty Mirrors & Poses for G3F & G8F - Copy.jpg. I assumed DAZ3D would not have a problem with file names and special characters acceptable to Windows 10. I'll shorten the names and see what happens. And thanks again to one and all.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954

you are not using Safari on iOS by any chance?

• Thank you for your suggestions, Fixmypcmike and wsterdan. I shortened the file names to abc.jpg and abcd.jpg and both files uploaded without issue. Over-long file names seem to be troublesome. Thanks again to all for your assistance. WendyLuvsCatz, thank you for your concern; browsers too can be problematic.

contedesfees said:

Thanks again to all for your assistance. WendyLuvsCatz, thank you for your concern; browsers too can be problematic.

To Wendy's point, iOS and iPadiOS specifically appear to have had issues uploading files to the forums not related to their browsers or filenames. I haven't tested this with the latest iterations, but Wendy's pointing this out earlier this year probably saved some small portion of what's left of my sanity. Thanks again, Wendy.

• Aah. I see, wsterdan. I know absolutely nothing about iOS or iPADiOS, but every now and then, a web site informs me that Opera, my preferred browser, is not compatible or welcome. Those sites always suggest that I use another browser to experience untroubled access. In fact, I was unable to complete an order at one site because Opera declined to display its reCAPTCHA pop-up to verify my humanity. I had to repeat the order using FireFox.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954

wsterdan said:

contedesfees said:

Thanks again to all for your assistance. WendyLuvsCatz, thank you for your concern; browsers too can be problematic.

To Wendy's point, iOS and iPadiOS specifically appear to have had issues uploading files to the forums not related to their browsers or filenames. I haven't tested this with the latest iterations, but Wendy's pointing this out earlier this year probably saved some small portion of what's left of my sanity. Thanks again, Wendy.

the Firefox app on my iPad works 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

wsterdan said:

contedesfees said:

the Firefox app on my iPad works 

Noted, Wendy, thanks. Firefox is my backup.