Problem with custom character eyelids / eyes

Hey fellas, I've got a weird problem with the XF Jane model. Basically, I think something is wrong with her eyes/eyelids that glitches out when the "Eyes Up/Down" and "Eyes Closed" controls are applied.

As a reference image, I'm attaching how the normal G8F character behaves when her eyes are closed.

Now, when XF Jane is applied, her upper eyelids extend way outwards while her lower eyelids contract inwards. During testing, I noticed that if only the head was applied (no XF Jane body) to the G8F, the eyelids behave normally. However, the eyes themselves get bugged out when looking up or down. Attached every variant in the images below.

This problem does not occur on any other custom character that I have.

Has anyone else using this model come across this issue? Is the model itself bugged?

G8F Normal.PNG
1157 x 1128 - 2M
XF Jane Head+Body Eyelids.PNG
1068 x 1130 - 2M
XF Jane Head Only Eyelids.PNG
1078 x 1134 - 2M

Comments

• That looks as if the bone positions have not adjusted correctly to the new shape - if you select the Left Eyelid Upper bone (select the ehad in the Viewport, then in the Scene pane expand Upper Face Rig) and switch to the Joint Editor (Tools menu) where are the green cross-hairs (marking the point about which the bone rotates)? Do they stay in the same relative position with the XF Jane character applied as in the default shape?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,277

- Press Alt + Shift + G, then Ctrl + \
    - Select the figure, go to Parameters pane, right click to turn on Edit mode. Then right click on XF Jane's body morph slider, near the bottom of the menu, click Select Morph Vertices.

If you see some vertices are highlighted in yellowish color, esp. around the eyes or eyelids, that means the body morph was wrongly made or splitted... Just submit a ticket asking for a fix.

Then if the body morph doesn't change the character's height, you may fix it by referring to this tutorial - https://youtu.be/XuQwnTd4Fok?si=HH_vKMYv_wVr5U4v

• Thank you for the suggestions, fellas! 

I'm actually completely retarded and don't know what I'm doing. :D

So, the solution was to just do the Adjust Rigging to Shape from the Joint Editor tool. I guess this step should be done for every custom character in Daz3D? 

Good news that there's nothing wrong with the model itself, just a case of useridiotitis.

• Generally morphs you buy (or freebies) should already have had the rigging adjustment made and linked to the controller - it's only custom morphs you make (via dForm or importing an OBJ) that will need the adjustment. If you use third party morphs, then export as OBJ and load as a new morph - don't: not only do you lose all the rigging adjustments, which are not too hard to redo, but you also lose all links to corrective morphs that improve the bending, and those would be a lot of work to rebuild.

edited February 4

If you had the body morph dialed, adjusted rigging to shape and the distortion was gone... it still means the body morph was wongly made 'cause it affected the rigging and vertices of the character's head.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

crosswind said:

If you had the body morph dialed, adjusted rigging to shape and the distortion was gone... it still means the body morph was wongly made 'cause it affected the rigging and vertices of the character's head.

Nothing unusual about that, haven't found a G8+ character that wasn't "wrongly done".

My own custom characters are a single DSF file with just over 1k formula, but with separate head and body morphs you have just over 1500 formula, yep that's roughly 500 duplicate formula messing with the rigging.

Oh and Richard, you'd be surprised at the number of "store" bought G8+ characters I've had to rig, I have two friends who also use DS, and they regularly buy from everywhere, so barely a week goes by where I'm not "fixing" something they've bought. Which includes no rigging adjustments in the DSF files, bad rigging adjustments in the DSF file, and lets not forget the character presets that don't load the geografts.

edited February 4

Bejaymac said:

crosswind said:

Nothing unusual about that, haven't found a G8+ character that wasn't "wrongly done".

My own custom characters are a single DSF file with just over 1k formula, but with separate head and body morphs you have just over 1500 formula, yep that's roughly 500 duplicate formula messing with the rigging.

Oh and Richard, you'd be surprised at the number of "store" bought G8+ characters I've had to rig, I have two friends who also use DS, and they regularly buy from everywhere, so barely a week goes by where I'm not "fixing" something they've bought. Which includes no rigging adjustments in the DSF files, bad rigging adjustments in the DSF file, and lets not forget the character presets that don't load the geografts.

Well, I don't think they're unusual nowadays but just routine... Though I also fixed a lot... I'd rather say most of them were "inappropriately done" than "wrongly done" (of course some of them were...)

And Character Presets can load geografts as well as their material presets as long as Post Load script is correctly configured...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Bejaymac said:

crosswind said:

I did say "should" - if not, from Daz at least and with an actual character set or end-user morph set, I would report it as a bug.