extend selection gradient across surfaces

I'm attempting to apply dForce to hair. The hair has a skull cap, and I can select that okay. How do I extend that selection by a certain amount in a gradient across the other surfaces of the hair so I can freeze the skull cap and a little bit of the other geometry around it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381

What do you mean by gradient...? Are you painting the weight on a dForce modifier weight node or you just wanna smooth some weight ?

Be noted, a hair cap doesn't have to be simulated or given any weight...

• Okay, so here's what I'm wanting to do. Hopefully, this makes a little more sense. (Please forgive the crude mock-ups.)

I can select the cap (shown in yellow). I'm wondering if there's a way I can 'grow' the selection as a gradient or radius out from the current selection (shown in red) as opposed to just selecting the next polygons immediately around the selection.
    Now here's the thing: that geometry isn't directly 'attached' to the cap. (They don't share any edges.) It's part of the same object, but not attached to the cap.

My hope is that I can do this, then freeze the gradient selection along with the cap so that it doesn't move during the simulation while the rest of the hair does.

daz hair 1.jpg
    1535 x 861 - 1M
    daz hair 2.jpg
    1535 x 861 - 1M
    daz hair 3.jpg
    1535 x 861 - 962K
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381
    edited February 3

In such a case, I'm afraid there's no way to do so as the geometry of Cap is not connected with hair card Surfaces... grow selection or select connected / boundary won't work. You have to carefully Drag to select....

Besides, Freeze Simulation only works on a dForce item rather than dynamic surfaces. You need to add a dForce Modifier Weight Node then add weight maps as well as fill and smooth the weight as needed.

Post edited by crosswind on