Capacity Limit?

I have over 8000 content items.

I have previously created a lot of scene subsets to try out content and ideas. I am in the process of creating a series of character group scene subsets to load into a scene to make up a story. Recently, some of the content pictures started to disappear but would show if I hovered over icon. Now no pictures seem to be saving, which I could get around, but it seems some of the actual scenes are disappearing when I overwrite them with an updated version.

Have I reached some sort of capacity limit for the program and, if so, do I need to reduce content or just saved scenes?

The disk holding the content has about 300Gb of free space.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,907

I have not heard of any capacity limit caused by DS.

If you look with a file browser, can you then see whether the scene files and icons files are there.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

What is the full path you're saving to, and what Operating System?  Also note that in DS4.22 you can specify whether the .png and .tip.png are replaced when you save over an existing file (F2 > Content)

• valkanvalkan Posts: 20

Fixmypcmike said:

What is the full path you're saving to, and what Operating System?  Also note that in DS4.22 you can specify whether the .png and .tip.png are replaced when you save over an existing file (F2 > Content)

I thought that might be what I was missing but it is set to save/replace thumbnail images.

I'm running Windows 10. File path for the ones I'm having problems with is:  I:/Daz 3d/Scene Subsets/Multi Character/EG Protest.

As far as I can see it is only sub folders of Multi Character that are affected. Is the path too long?

I found if I type in the file name, rather than select existing file, it seems to show the thumbnail, but that can disappear when I save another file.

Daz File List.jpg
    1394 x 994 - 269K
    Preferences.jpg
    502 x 691 - 79K

The path doesn't look too long.  What security software do you have running?  Do the permissions and ownership on files in that folder look normal?

Moving the folders up a level seemed to be making it more reliable. 4 saves in a row created proper thumbnails. Then I saved another with a name not even close and the last thumbnail produced disappeared.

I'd had this structure for some time so I can't understand why it should suddenly be a problem. Nothing on my system has changed as far as I'm aware. As well as virus protection, I run a virus check on "critical files" if I have the slightest concern about online interactions.

The only common thing among the files now being a problem is that I've saved a lot within a short time. After later sets in a sequence involved more movement, I went back and replaced the hair with a dforce style that I then ran a simulation on and saved.

• DS has a display limit. If there are more than 1000 items in a directory (which may have a duf, duf.png & tip.png for each item), then the last ones won't display in the library list. But you have 79 in that directory, so it shouldn't be the problem. Pass.

Regards,

Richard

I suspect either your hard drive is failing or an overzealous security program is blocking DS from editing files.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381
    edited February 1

There's no so-called capacity limit in terms of displaying or saving DUF files. When you browse the files in Content Library, the file list memorizes the latest display number that you defined (by clicking that "+" sign each time to add more 12 asset items to display) . If you define it as 2000, it'll be always 2000.

As for the missing thumbnails, I can see in the screenshot 1, there're a couple of files have no 91x91 thumbnail file. I don't know if you used to update the DS version to 4.22.0.1. This version had bug with saving thumbnail function..which may be the culprit.

Anyway, with 4.22.0.15, you just resave the scene file, the thumnails will be re-created...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited February 1

Fixmypcmike said:

I suspect either your hard drive is failing or an overzealous security program is blocking DS from editing files.

Hard Drive is only a couple of months old, and checks out as having no errors, and why would security stop editing of only some files?

I'm managing to get thumbnails in the new folder location most of the time, by loading and saving the files, but still can't understand why saving unrelated files should clear a thumbnail.

I am on the latest version of DAZ. 

Post edited by valkan on