Is there a way to save a scene without the default HDRI ?

Hello,

I removed the default HDRI from a scene (after watching a video by Jay Versluis, explaing it allowed access to the sun and sky from Daz while keeping lights in a scene) but each time I'm loading that scene, Daz is loading the default HDRI… I don't understand why it does it, when it also remember the hour I chose for the sun and when I only saved that scene with the HDRI removed.

It's not hard to remove it again (it's clearly visible there is a problem the minute I try to render or preview the scene with iRay) but if I get back to this scene in a couple of months, I may not remember I removed the HDRI and will likely scratch my head searching for the reason it does'nt look like it did in my render blush

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    edited January 29

This is something that was posted in the forum, but I have lost track of the original thread and original poster info. It works, but is a hassle. I've never understood why Daz doesn't recognize that silently restoring an HDRI deleted by a user, is a bug. I submitted a help request long long ago, but nothing came of it.

How to hand edit scene file to keep Dome and Scene ENV from loading the default HDRI on scene open, even though the scene was saved with no HDRI. Change “Invalid_without_map” to false and add “image” : null. I’m not sure whether both are needed.
                                                                                                                    "channel" : {
                                                                                                                                    "id" : "Environment Map",
                                                                                                                                    "type" : "float",
                                                                                                                                    "label" : "Environment Map",
                                                                                                                                    "value" : 2,
                                                                                                                                    "current_value" : 2,
                                                                                                                                    "min" : 0,
                                                                                                                                    "max" : 10000,
                                                                                                                                    "step_size" : 0.1,
                                                                                                                                    "default_image_gamma" : 1,
                                                                                                                                    "mappable" : true,
                                                                                                                                    "invalid_without_map" : false,
                                                                                                                                    "image" : null
                                                                                                                    },
    Post edited by barbult on
  • SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

When you save a scene an options box comes up - make sure you have "Include Render Settings" checked.

Also, in the Scene section of the Preferences make sure you do not have "Ignore Render Settings" checked. On this page you can also ensure "Record Render Settings" is checked so that they will be saved by default.

SofaCitizen said:

When you save a scene an options box comes up - make sure you have "Include Render Settings" checked.

Also, in the Scene section of the Preferences make sure you do not have "Ignore Render Settings" checked. On this page you can also ensure "Record Render Settings" is checked so that they will be saved by default.

Unfortunately, that doesn't fix this problem.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,249

That "issue" has been there for a long time. If you set no HDRI in Environment Map with your Scene, after loading the scene, DS reset that default "ruinsb-500" HDRI for you...

You may either delete that default HDRI map from Daz application folder... or, there's a new feature in latest Public Build (F2 - Scene tabp - On Load - Post Open...), save a Render Setting with only the slot of Environment Map with empty HDRI. Put the Render Setting into Post Open.

A better way is to write a Daz script for Post Open, add codes to check various conditions to determine loading or not loading what Presets.. for instance, checking other properties in Enviroment or you just put a "mark" in the file name of the scene, like: My Scene 001 ndh (no default HDRI). Then the script will check if there's ndh in the file name, it will load that Render Setting with no default map.

edited January 29

This forum is weird... before I posted, I saw no post in the thread. After posting, I saw your guys' posts.... surprise

I've not tried barbult's way before but editing the duf file is always the untimate way! Will try, haha ~

Edit: @barbult  It didn't work with 4.22 ~~ I don't know why for the time being. I would suggest change mappable to false... leave no chance to DS to reset the map for such a type of scene. devil

SNAG-2024-1-30-0043.png
    678 x 350 - 19K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,781

Yeah, I guess it's the caching that takes a while to refresh. I was about to post that it seemed to fix the bug if you rename the default HDRI but checked again just before to see that you'd already posted about that.

crosswind said:

This forum is weird... before I posted, I saw no post in the thread. After posting, I saw your guys' posts.... surprise

I've not tried barbult's way before but editing the duf file is always the untimate way! Will try, haha ~

Edit: Unfortunately barbult's way didn't work for me with 4.22... I don't know why for the time being. I would suggest change "mappable" to false... leave no chance to DS to reset the map....haha

Did you miss the part about adding "image" : null ? It isn't really "my" way, but I forgot who originally posted it. I thought maybe it was you.

edited January 29

barbult said:

crosswind said:

Edit: Unfortunately barbult's way didn't work for me with 4.22... I don't know why for the time being. I would suggest change "mappable" to false... leave no chance to DS to reset the map....haha

Did you miss the part about adding "image" : null ? It isn't really "my" way, but I forgot who originally posted it. I thought maybe it was you.

I strictly followed and pasted the codes that you posted...

Edit: My fault ! there's still some "residual" in the scene, after removing them, it worked! haha ~ Thanks a lot!

SNAG-2024-1-30-0044.png
    2552 x 1274 - 87K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

I have a scene all set up, and saved as _my default scene, with my render settings and no HDRI, I delete the default one from my hard drive, that scene loads on Startup and New Scene. I also saved the render settings and saved them to the Script Menu and, even if something changes the render settings, I open the Script Menu, scroll down to MY Render Settings and load them.

edited January 29

Fishtales said:

I have a scene all set up, and saved as _my default scene, with my render settings and no HDRI, I delete the default one from my hard drive, that scene loads on Startup and New Scene. I also saved the render settings and saved them to the Script Menu and, even if something changes the render settings, I open the Script Menu, scroll down to MY Render Settings and load them.

Yeah, I used to do nearly the same. Then from a certain time point, I never set null into Environment Map if I use Dome...'cause I found that good HDRI always give me high quality source of lights.

@barbult

You're right. Only adding "image": null just works fine.yes

SNAG-2024-1-30-0045.png
    1026 x 352 - 18K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

crosswind said:

Fishtales said:

Yeah, I used to do nearly the same. Then from a certain time point, I never set null into Environment Map if I use Dome...'cause I found that good HDRI always give me high quality source of lights.

If I want a HDRI I add it, if something else adds it, and I don't want it, I delete it. If something changes my default Render Settings I change them back. I use what I want and not what DAZ or a PA thinks I should :) 

Fishtales said:

crosswind said:

Fishtales said:

If I want a HDRI I add it, if something else adds it, and I don't want it, I delete it. If something changes my default Render Settings I change them back. I use what I want and not what DAZ or a PA thinks I should :) 

laughyes 

edited January 30

Follow-up:

The way of adding code won't work if one saves the scene file after re-opening...those code lines will be removed.  So if one goes for modifying the scene file but still needs to save the file later on..., better delete the line: "mappable" : true to completely block it.  When need it,  add "mappable" : true back...

• ElorElor Posts: 1,136
    edited January 30

Thank you for all your answers. I'll see how to use them smiley

In the meantime, I simply added a piece of paper visible only in the viewport saying something like that:

To future me,

You need to remove the default HDRI,

XOXO,

past you

laugh

Post edited by Elor on
  • pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 182

Just a random thought - would loading an all-black HDRI dome that emits no light (such as the one included in Render Studio 2.0 -Volumetric Plus) give the same results as just using scene lights? I did use that HDRI in one scene to create a sort of shadowbox to make sure only the lights I placed were illuminating anything.

If it did give the same effect, then saving with the all-black HDRI should prevent the default DS HDRI from loading?

Then again, if using Sun-Sky mode, it could still block that, and you would have to create a new "sun" and position it yourself inside the dome.

Well, actually that'll depend on the case.... The above case is for the people who want to have Sun-Sky + scene lights... With a no matter what type of HDRI there in the map slot, there'll be no sun-sky settings... and with a pitch black HDRI, yea it'll prevent the default RUINSB from being loaded, but it's just as same as the env. mode of Scene Only, so ~~