February 2024 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797

Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest render challenge!

Each month, there are two different challenges: A Beginner Challenge and an Intermediate Challenge.

So which "Challenge" should you choose?

Follow the Beginner Challenge if you are:

• New to the New User Challenges
  • New to Daz Studio
  • Newer to 3D Rendering in General
  • Or if you have not participated in the February Lighting Challenge

Follow the Intermediate Challenge if you have:

• Participated in the New User Challenge for awhile
  • Know the basics of Daz Studio and would like to learn more in depth topics
  • Been using 3D Rendering Applications for awhile and feel comfortable with learning Intermediate Topics
  • Or if you have all ready participated in the February Lighting Challenge

*Please be sure to list in your post which Challenge you are participating in*

Post edited by Linwelly on

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797
    edited January 31

Beginner Challenge:

"Lighting"

This month's focus will be on how you light your image. Lighting is what defines and enhances the viewer's experience when looking at an image. Lighting helps a viewer to "see" the story. The presence of light, or the lack thereof, provides us with the ability to believe the world we are looking at. It can tell us if an object is round, whether it is close or far away, what colors were used and even if the surface is reflective. As an artist, it will be your ability to master the use of light, that will set you apart from the others. Below is a source list of lighting tutorials, articles and videos that will help you understand how to use your software, the different techniques used to light a scene, and the theory behind why lighting is needed. This list is not comprehensive; it is just a starting point.

Also, keep in mind the topics we've covered during previous challenges. Build upon what you have learned to create a compelling image to light this month.

This year of New User challenges is just getting started. So far this year we have covered :

Composition

Inspiration:

Check out the amazing entries and discussion in last year's Lighting Challenge.

Other Helpful Links:

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another.

How to Use Your Software:

DAZ Studio

VII - Lights
    Daz 101: Lighting (video)
    Point Lights, the Basics

DAZ Studio Lights Tutorial - Presets - 3D Software (this contains undressed characters that's why it has a warning at the start, just so you know)

3Delight IBL or HDR type lighting environments
    UberEnvironment2 - Made Easy
    UberEnvironment2 Basics
    Learning UberEnvironment 2 Return to Topic
    Uber Area Lighting: The Basics

commercial for 3Delight

IBL Master  (store link) IBL Master Discussion (forum discussion)

Iray
    Creating and Lighting a Scene with Iray in DAZ Studio by SickleYield  
    Lighting and Tone Mapping in Iray by SickleYield

commercial for Iray
    Emission Profile Master (store link) Emission Profile Master Discussion (forum discussion)

Regarding ghostlights which had some changes since we last had this challenge: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551301/ghost-lights-what-s-happening-and-what-s-next/p1

Poser
    Poser Pro 11 Tutorial: Lighting, Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCkDHWX6VM
    Poser Pro 11 Tutorial: Lighting, Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_paY90kz40
    POSER Tutorial Lesson 3: Lights  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3m4Xy5lPrE

Bryce
    Artist’s guide page 125
    Thoughts on Lighting in Bryce 7.1 by Rashad
    Bryce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C772CuZ6RgI
    Bryce: http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/lighting-and-skies.html#
    Bryce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Pe-IVp_dY

Theory:
    Mastering Lighting in Blender the first 25 minutes of the video is relevant for everyone not just blender users.

Lighting Basics:

http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
    http://bensimonds.com/2010/06/03/lighting-tips-from-the-masters/

I will be checking in as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this threadChallenge Rules

Closing Date: February 29, 2024

one example for the use of lights

edited January 31

Intermediate Challenge:

"Light Effects"

This is a general render challenge with the focus on using varous Light Effects, such as Gels and Gobos. We are providing you with some links on the topics from a variety of sources.

Gobos can be used to make interesting shadows and patterns, such as leaves, window blinds, geometric shapes, etc.  Your imagination is the only limitation.

Gobos and Gels can be used in both 3Delight and Iray.  There are many products in the DAZ Store or, if you are really adventurous, you can try to make your own.

This is as well where you can play around with bloom and all the fancy sliders in the tone mapping and environment settings

Gobo and Color Gel Lights Definition, Explanations and Examples

Gobo / Gel Light Definition

Color Gel

Gobo Light Portrait Examples

Gel Light Portrait images Examples

Gobo vs Light Gel

Gel Light Tutorials:

DAZ Studio Tutorial – Light Gels and “no poke through”

Daz Studio Lighting Tutorial - Gel Lights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-BUXBjeQ9w

Daz Studio Iray Tutorial:  How to Make Your Own Gel Light - text tutorial

Tone mapping and environment:

Tone Mapping DAZ Documentation

DazStudio Iray Render Settings - Tone Mapping - Guide With Examples (DAZ Forum Discussion)

Daz3d Tutorial | How To Use Tone Mapping (youtube by Steven Davis)

[Tutorial] Lighting and Tone Mapping In Iray (DeviantArt tutorial by SickleYield)

Environment (DAZ Documentation)

Closing Date: February 29, 2024

gobo -gel light combination

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 172
    edited February 2

Intermediate.

I have started using DAZ again after  being verry ill for the last couple of years. During that time I just lost interest in everything.

This is still a WIP, I want to put a prop to the right of the character but not sure what.

Hope you like it.

Gobo-01.jpg
    900 x 1273 - 252K
    Post edited by berriboy on
  • berriboy said:

Intermediate.

I have started using DAZ again after  being verry ill for the last couple of years. During that time I just lost interest in everything.

This is still a WIP, I want to put a prop to the right of the character but not sure what.

Hope you like it.

The image hasn't attached, possibly because you were stuck in the queue and tried again - the forum seems to lose attachments if you repost without refreshing, which is a pain.

Richard Haseltine said:

berriboy said:

Intermediate.

Hope you like it.

The image hasn't attached, possibly because you were stuck in the queue and tried again - the forum seems to lose attachments if you repost without refreshing, which is a pain.

Thank you Richard

edited February 2

Sorry

• Here's my start for the month.

feb2024a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 614K

berriboy said:

Intermediate.

Hope you like it.

welcome and lovely start! it looks a bit like a stage lighting with the gobo light and the dust and the rest being lost in darkness, so maybe some stage prop would work? Looking forward to where this goes

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Here's my start for the month.

what are we shooting at? The set looks very nice, I suppose that is some ritual magic in red on the floor? If yes you might try to reduce the emissive intensity of it so we can see more of the pattern

edited February 5

Title: What is it

Intermeadiate

Used Gobos and Gells. Would love some feedback.

What is it

Gobo.jpg
    800 x 1132 - 346K

I absolutely love what you did with the lights here, went in a different direction than what I expected from your first piece but great use off effect lights. The posing and expressions are very on spot at well, the only thing that bugs me a bit is how his foot is outside the image, so maybe you can try to change the camera to a position where we can see him whole as well

you could try to apply Depth of field as well to make the wall in the back unsharp but I'm not sure if that will make it better to how it is now

berriboy said:

Title: What is it

Intermeadiate

Used Gobos and Gells. Would love some feedbac

What is it

Thanks Linwelly, didn't think of DOF, great idea. Working on it now.

• Used gobos and gels

Caprica5.png
    1536 x 2048 - 6M
  • Version b here, with the demon that was being summoned added.  The "Summoning Circle" they are in is actualy a stone calander on the floor that I added lighting to so as to help iluminate the area. I might have to move our character closer so we see some more detail (we're at the enterance to the space we are in) but that's for another version.

fwb2024b.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 619K

snowcrow19 said:

Used gobos and gels

Welcome to the new user challenge and great start with the special light effects here. For now, they all seem to take effect in the backkground while the character is standing in some rather undefinded and boring light, alse she doesn't seem to cast a shadow. So to give your character the lightshow she deserves maybe try getting the light action more on her, if you are using a HDRI for the background you probably want to turn on the "ground" in the environment tab of the render settings

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version b here, with the demon that was being summoned added.  The "Summoning Circle" they are in is actualy a stone calander on the floor that I added lighting to so as to help iluminate the area. I might have to move our character closer so we see some more detail (we're at the enterance to the space we are in) but that's for another version.

I like the idea very much to have something that already exists in the scene to make it emmissive and the red light from below is a great idea, you're running into a special challenge here, getting enough light on your demon character while still trying to show of the patter that is on the ground.

One solution might be to reduce the emissive of the enchantement circle and then add some point lights in a circle around the demon, abot a foot above the floor. You might even think about adding some smoke rising around the demon from the "portal"

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version b here, with the demon that was being summoned added.  The "Summoning Circle" they are in is actualy a stone calander on the floor that I added lighting to so as to help iluminate the area. I might have to move our character closer so we see some more detail (we're at the enterance to the space we are in) but that's for another version.

I like the idea very much to have something that already exists in the scene to make it emmissive and the red light from below is a great idea, you're running into a special challenge here, getting enough light on your demon character while still trying to show of the patter that is on the ground.

One solution might be to reduce the emissive of the enchantement circle and then add some point lights in a circle around the demon, abot a foot above the floor. You might even think about adding some smoke rising around the demon from the "portal"

• I have a question about the beginner challenge.  Can we use lighting products or do we need to make the lights from scratch?

edited February 9

Bastet's Muse said:

I have a question about the beginner challenge.  Can we use lighting products or do we need to make the lights from scratch?

yes, you can use products, often they are a great way to understand what makes a light set good and useful so it it afterwards easier to adapt things to your own needs, I learnde a lot by using producs and try to understand how they work

• Title: That's a cute sword

Beginner challenge. 

I've been working in Daz since August of last year -- comments/critiques/suggestions are welcome.

Also, fun note: I had a heck of a time getting the back of the dress and her right wrist out of shadow without causing weirdness with lighting elsewhere. What finally fixed it was making the dress itself luminescent. (Still not sure how that fixed the wrist, but it did.) 

Dragon Final.png
    1667 x 2500 - 7M

ljcygnet said:

Title: That's a cute sword

Beginner challenge. 

I've been working in Daz since August of last year -- comments/critiques/suggestions are welcome.

Also, fun note: I had a heck of a time getting the back of the dress and her right wrist out of shadow without causing weirdness with lighting elsewhere. What finally fixed it was making the dress itself luminescent. (Still not sure how that fixed the wrist, but it did.) 

welcome to the new user challenge and cery creative start, I love how the glow comes out of the dragons mouth and nostrils like the flame is to errupt every moment now and making something emissive is a fun solution to the problem. Another trick if you want a special area lighted up but not from a visible light source is to use point lights, which you can place individually where you need them. very good choice on the use of opposing light colours for drama. I notice that you used Depth of field but I would suggest to reduce the area in which the image is sharp to closer to the head of the dragon and the lady.

There is something about the composition that itches me a little and that is that the current main lines of action (the sword pointing up and the dragon head pointing down) are parralel to each other, the dramatic effect would be better if they either cross or point toards each other at an angle. I understand that you chose this to make it all fit in the close space we're looking at which is a good idea, but maybe you can play around with the pose she's holding the sword a little.

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 155
    edited February 14

Challenge: Beginner

Title: Bed Head

Software: Daz Studio 4.22 & Caesium Image Compressor (no postwork, lots of colors going on as it is lol)

Format: jpg

Made my own gel light and scene. :)  It was pretty simple once I realized what it was.  The scene was only a primitive scaled to be huge since I needed something to throw my gel light on.  Scene only environment, all light provided by the home made gel.  Still working on the masterclass videos, going through them a bit slower than I expected, but getting through them all the same.

EDIT: Meant two primitive scene.  Needed one other primitive to act as the gel for the spotlight.. :)

bed head 02-14-24.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by suffo85 on

suffo85 said:

Challenge: Beginner

Title: Bed Head

Software: Daz Studio 4.22 & Caesium Image Compressor (no postwork, lots of colors going on as it is lol)

Format: jpg

Made my own gel light and scene. :)  It was pretty simple once I realized what it was.  The scene was only a primitive scaled to be huge since I needed something to throw my gel light on.  Scene only environment, all light provided by the home made gel.  Still working on the masterclass videos, going through them a bit slower than I expected, but getting through them all the same.

EDIT: Meant two primitive scene.  Needed one other primitive to act as the gel for the spotlight.. :)

very cool work on the colour splash! those are some intense colours. Maybe try moving the plane a bit further in the back so we get a more separate look on the character and the dark shadow silhouette on the wall? Of course this is just an idea, but I think it might give a nice effect.

edited February 15

Forums are messing up on me, not letting me post...lol.  I think the images were too big to attach more than one a post, it kept erroring on me.

bed head re-do 02-15-24-v500.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
    edited February 15

Linwelly said:

very cool work on the colour splash! those are some intense colours. Maybe try moving the plane a bit further in the back so we get a more separate look on the character and the dark shadow silhouette on the wall? Of course this is just an idea, but I think it might give a nice effect.

This was an awesome suggestion.  Thanks. :)  I probably wouldn't have thought to move the plane back for quite a while, since I was using it as a backdrop for the gel I was in a mindset where I thought the model needed to be very close to it.  Honestly not sure why I was stuck in that frame of mind...

I had already played a little bit with the shadowing by moving the camera around when she was close to the plane, but it was just that much easier to control where I wanted it to go when the plane was much further away.  It also let me capture more of the gel's colors which blend together so well.  I originally fired up Daz just to do your idea, but then ended up spending all morning messing with that scene.  By noon I had built an entire nightclub out of random props from other environments haha.  Anyway, here were the best ones I think that came out of it.

I dunno why I was thinking of Night at the Roxbury lol, I would have named this "Night at..." if it were an entry.

bed head re-do 02-15-24-v1000.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M

that looks amazing @suffo85 nice work!

• YinaYina Posts: 10
    edited February 16

This is my entry for the intermediate challenge. This was really insightful and I feel like I learned a whole lot from this challenge. I'd love some feedback and suggestions!

Edit: I only used Gel Lights, no post processing.

GelLightChallenge.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Yina on

Yina said:

This is my entry for the intermediate challenge. This was really insightful and I feel like I learned a whole lot from this challenge. I'd love some feedback and suggestions!

welcome to the new user challenge and very nice effect with the stained glass type gel, I like as well that you added some sort of particles to the atmosphere to show the "godrays" 

you could think of some building structures in the back like the interior of a church, columns or similar, esp  on the right side of the character

edited February 17

Linwelly said:

Yina said:

welcome to the new user challenge and very nice effect with the stained glass type gel, I like as well that you added some sort of particles to the atmosphere to show the "godrays" 

you could think of some building structures in the back like the interior of a church, columns or similar, esp  on the right side of the character

Hey, thanks for the nice feedback and the suggestion. I assume you meant that her right side was a bit empty? I totally agree. Since I have only one spotlight (and intend to keep it like this), I tried to find something that catches the Gel Light and subtedly repeats the pattern. I think this really helps fill the void.

GelLightChallenge.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Yina on
    edited February 17

Edit: I got an error when posting comment above and I didn't realize it got through. Apologies. Could you delete this post? (I don't think I can do it myself)

Post edited by Yina on