[SOLVED] Morph loader - partial morph

arthenicsarthenics Posts: 142

Hello,

I try to load my morph for head but it keeps loading morph for the whole body. I've selected the node "head" both for my character and the loader but with no avail. Any tips? I don't really have the possibility to "reset" the body  part in my .obj... Should I just... "bebody" my .obj? XD

I don't really mind if it is tedious, I wish to know how it works.

Post edited by arthenics on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,524

Morph loader only works on whole geometry, so if your created morph covers multiple body parts, you'll have to either attenuate the morph or use the head split deformer, but I have no experience doing either of those myself, so you can try Googling, or hopefully someone else will pop in to give you more detail.

• arthenicsarthenics Posts: 142

Is there any PDF version? XD

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381

Ah.. sorry. I've seen no PDF version so far.

• The geometry belongs to the figure, not the bones. If your OBJ has chnaged other parts it will affect them, if not it won't - morphs stack (they just move the vertices along a line between the bse location and shape's location) so having a don-nothing morph on the unchanged parts is harmless. You can use various attenuation options in Morph Loader Pro to limit the effect of the morph, Genesis 8 (or 3, I can't recall) and later have a special "Head Split" dForm set up for just that purpose for separating head and body effects (but watch the transition - if the morph scales the figure up splitting will do weird things to the neck).

Yeah, I see that, I have weird things with the neck (girafe or crushed XD)

• echristopherclarkechristopherclark Posts: 235
    edited January 28

I figured that out recently. Trying to figure out how to describe it, but it basically involves adjusting the height of the figure when loading the morph so that it matches the height of the figure the morph was coming from. It's something like that. If I can find the YouTube video, I'll link it.

Post edited by echristopherclark on
  • Yes. I think it was this one from BenAlive

• 57331.fury57331.fury Posts: 11
    edited January 31

To split a FBM into a separate head and body morph, this is the best method (Quick note: It is best to shut down Daz Studio after each step, and be aware when exporting a model, it is always best to make sure 'Mouth realism' is set to 0%) :

1. Load the model you wish to split, alongside a standard version of the genesis figure it is based on. Make sure your model is as close to the standard Genesis figure size as possible (Shoulder and head position is most important, so pay most attention to these parts when resizing your figure). When you are done, export an obj of your figure, ofcause making sure that it is set to base resolution and there is nothing like eyebrows / eyelashes / clothes / hair etc being exported

2. Load in a Dev version of the Genesis figure, apply the Dformer Headsplit from the Smart content panel, under 'Utilities'.

3 Goto 'Edit' - 'Morphloader Pro' and click on 'Load Morph File'. Select your .obj file. Give the morph a suitable name such as 'VendorName-CharName Head', select a location for the morph to be accessible, select 'Yes' to create a control property, select 'Yes' to reverse deformations', then at the bottom where it shows 'Attenuate by', click it and select 'Dformer' then select 'Infuence weights', then click the arrow by the side to get extra drop-down options. You should see an option there called 'Strength'. If strength is set to 1 then it will create a morph dial that controls only the head. If the strength is set to -1 then it will instead create a morph dial that only controls the body.

4. Once you have created the first morph for the head, test it to make sure it works. If it does, then 'Save as' - 'Support asset' - 'Morph asset' and save it to a suitable location (Never make this the standard Daz library folder). Shut down Daz, and then repeat steps 2 and 3 to create the body morph remembering to change the strength to -1 to get the body morph.

5. So now you have a separate head and body morph, but they currently won`t be correctly rigged, or at the correct size. First lets setup the head morph. Load the standard Genesis figure (Whatever version your model is based on), and apply the head morph. Click the 'Tools' dropdown from the top of Daz and select 'Joint editor', right click the preview window and select 'Edit' - 'Adjust rigging to shape'. Leave the options as they come and click 'Okay'. You should see the control bones in the head move to match the new shape. Once you have done this, right click your newly created head morph dial and select 'Edit mode' to get extra options and when you next right click on your head morph dial you should now see an option called 'ERC Freeze'. Select this and then click okay to start the ERC freeze. The ERC freeze can take quite a long time to complete so don`t panic if it becomes unresponsive for 5 minutes. Once it has completed, then re-save the head morph naming everything the same as it was, so it just copies over the old one ('File' - 'Save as' - 'Support asset' - 'Morph asset'). The head morph is now complete!

6. Same as with step 5, only this time after loading the standard Genesis figure, apply the body morph instead of the head morph. Now load up a copy of your original FBM model, and resize Genesis figure (The one we just applied the body morph to) so the body matches the body size of your original model. Once you`re happy with the resize, you`ll need to export that figure back out as an obj, so just make sure to hide or delete eyelashes / eyebrows / hair / clothes (on G9 also the eyes and mouth need to be hidden / removed), and set to base resolution.

7. Final step. Load in a fresh Genesis figure, then goto 'Edit' - 'Figure' - 'Morphloader Pro' and make sure the settings are the same as when you first created the body morph so named something like 'VendorName-CharName Body', and make sure to load the newly created resized body morph obj. The only setting that needs to be different is the 'Attenuate by', which this time you can leave blank. Once the morph has been created, dial it in and if you`re not already in Joint editor mode, then swap to it in the 'Tools' dropdown, right click the preview window, 'Edit' - 'Adjust rigging to shape', and click 'Okay'. Once the rigging has completed, again we need to ERC freeze it, so right click the body morph dial and enter 'Edit mode', then right click again and select 'ERC Freeze', click 'Okay' and let it run its course. Once that has finished you just need to save the updated body morph as described above.

You should now have a fully working separate head and body morph, well unless you`re working on G9, and then you`ll still need to do endless more setting up to get the eyes and mouth in the correct location, and working correctly with separate head and body morphs, but that`s a story for another day ...

Post edited by 57331.fury on
    edited February 4

To be fair, since all my characters start from a "slider-adjusted" genesis (G9), it's faster for me to just export a genesis with only the body modified and another with only the head modified and I join the two morphs sliders in a third one when I reload everything from Blender.

(for combined morphs : see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/495356/combine-morphs)

Post edited by arthenics on
  • arthenics said:

To be fair, since all my characters start from a "slider-adjusted" genesis (G9), it's faster for me to just export a genesis with only the body modified and another with only the head modified and I join the two morphs sliders in a third one when I reload everything from Blender.

(for combined morphs : see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/495356/combine-morphs)

If you are using standard morphs, rather than your own custom morphs, then that kind of baking has several drawbacks:

• you cannot distribute the morph, which may or may not matter for you
    • you lose all joint adjustments, though those are fairly simple to redo
    • you lose all corrective morphs (improving joint bends, or making sure that things like eyes closed or mouth closed work without gaps or intersection), rebuilding those will be a pain.