[solved] Iden beard (g9) stopped working?

SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 439

Is anyone else encountering this issue? Suddenly my characters with the Iden beard freebie from the holidays have the beard no longer displaying. It looks like it should from the texture shaded view, but in iray & renders it just shows up as a few sparse, scraggly hairs. It was working fine as of a few days ago, and I haven't made any changes to the characters (I have multiple using it, same issue for all) since then.

Tried uninstalling & reinstalling. No dice.

Post edited by SilverGirl on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,413

This beard is a strand-based hair. If you wanna see it normally in Viewport, turn on Preview PR Hairs, set Viewport Line Tessellation Sides to >2. As below ~

It should be fine when rendering as Render Line Tessellation Sides has been already set to 3.

SNAG-2024-1-25-0002.png
    2014 x 1401 - 573K
    SNAG-2024-1-25-0003.png
    2017 x 1399 - 733K
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 439
    edited January 25

Okay, I take it back, it's not looking right in the viewport either (seeing yours to compare, I'm reminded that it didn't used to look like this.

Pics of viewport & render attached. Also worth noting that I altered the .png for where the hair goes (surface file? is that what it's called?) and it worked fine previously, but now it doesn't seem to make a difference. Pic of what it's supposed to look like also attached -- the little raised part above the base beard is edited ou. He's bald in this one, but as of 1/22 when I added the hair & saved him, it was still working, I just don't have a clear shot of the beard for that render.

wtf beard.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
    wtf beard texture shaded.jpg
    922 x 896 - 149K
    Gregaren - beard - angle2.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
    wtf beard smooth shaded.jpg
    956 x 911 - 173K
  • Which tool is active?

edited January 25

...apparently Mesh Grabber. I'd thought you needed to activate that when booting up Studio, and I wasn't seeing the little sphere, so it hadn't even dawned on me to check the tools tab. (Didn't know it would mess up the render like that, either!) Changing back to scene navigator fixed the issue entirely, and I learned something new! Thank you!!

Oh yeah, always remember to de-activate Mesh Grabber / Geometry Editor / Node Weight Bush before preview / render.

Just grateful it was an easy fix!

Yep ! Great !