[SOLVED] Saving assets for product for sale

arthenicsarthenics Posts: 142

Hello,

Considering a character (figure shape, materials), in a product we can usually see (I will simplifiy) :

- apply all

- apply shape

- apply material

What is the proper way to save them in order to make a product for sale? I'm fine with the runtime/people/data/documentation paths but... I always end with a warning about links. It works as "local" but as soon as it's build as "for sale", that's when problems come. It's not it can't find files, it's rather that it sees them twice.

Help!!! XD

Post edited by arthenics on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381

I would recommend the way I use:
    - Create a separate Daz Library, name it as "My Daz Products". Configure the path in F2 - Content - Content Directory Manager.
    - Build your product assets, save all the user-facing files (various types of Presets) into the folders accordingly, e.g. People / Props / Env. under "My Daz Products"
    - Save all non user-facing assets into the folders: data / runtime as usual, under "My Daz Products"
    - After full testing, pack them up from "My Daz Products" into a separate product folder and ZIP them.

Be noted, never replicate these product folders / files from "My Daz Product" to other Daz Libraries. And of course, you may use some tool like - https://www.daz3d.com/content-package-assist

• arthenicsarthenics Posts: 142

[...]

Oh, ok, thanks.

The "product" part is probably where I was mistaken. I just have to test now ^_^

• If you are saying it works for you but not others the first suspicion would be that you are using a content directory inside another content directory, so DS doesn't know where to start the relative path. It may also be that you are applying the maps from a location that isn't in a content directory at all. Using a separate content directory, that isn't nested, would resolve both issues.

edited January 24

In fact, it's likely because I was creating a product (I mean with the DAZ option) and it probably generates a double entry.

UPDATE :

I have another problem : when I try to save my custom morph, it saves morphs from other products, even if I don't use them... Any tips?

• Which save command are you using? Which options are you setting?

edited January 25

The SOP for saving Morph Asset is usually as below:

- in Parameter Settings of the custom morph(s), correctly define Name, Label, Path, Type... as well as other settings as needed.
    - Save as Morph Assets... in Morph Asset(s) Save Options dialogue, correctly choose Asset Directory, define your Vendor Name, Product Name, as well as select the morph(s) you wanna save...
    - After saving, double check the path in Parameter Settings of the saved morph(s)...to make sure they're correct.

If you do these steps right, there won't be such an issue as you mentioned... Pls delete the wrongly-saved DSF files from data folder and try again.

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited January 25

I've checked twice, "currently used" displays only my morph but when it comes to save as morph assets, it takes everything :-s, I have to delete a lot of useless files in the data folder ...

I start from the default genesis 9, I don't add anything except my morph from a .obj...

Is there an option I don't see somewhere?

• Currently Used shows properties with non-default values - it doesn't show proeprties with non-zero va;ues thata re the default (I thought that at one stage it did, and it is a feature that would be useful).

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,063

arthenics said:

I've checked twice, "currently used" displays only my morph but when it comes to save as morph assets, it takes everything :-s, I have to delete a lot of useless files in the data folder ...

I start from the default genesis 9, I don't add anything except my morph from a .obj...

If you're saving the morphs, you should dial everything out (including your morphs), and then when you go to save your morphs (file > save as... support assets... > morph asset(s)...), you should open the Genesis 9 node in the Morph Asset(s) Save Options window and select only your morphs. If you're doing this but still other morphs are getting saved, it might be that those products are not saved properly. What you could do is uninstall those products that are affecting things for now.

edited January 26

arthenics said:

I'm confused...what do you mean by "...it takes everything" ?  It's just simple to save a Morph Asset as I said above...(like the attached screenshots). It has nothing to do with "Currently Used" or sth...

SNAG-2024-1-26-0002.png
    1320 x 1117 - 298K
    SNAG-2024-1-26-0005.png
    762 x 1165 - 116K
    SNAG-2024-1-26-0004.png
    784 x 1326 - 143K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Check out my tutorial, it might help. There's also some free reference info linked in the description.  https://rumble.com/v46c9cn-tutorial-creating-custom-characters-in-daz-studio.html

edited January 26

@G3Renderworks Unfortunatly, I can't access the site because of area restriction...

Ooops... I guess I'm mistaken when it come to the "dependencies tree" (I mean the properties hierarchy).

Thanks. I think I get the whole process now.

UPDATE :

The morph seems to be OK... but "figure asset" don't show any properties tree (and then save everything).

For materials and for figure "applied", do I have to save as "normal" preset instead of "support" (see picture)?

save_as.png
    513 x 681 - 57K

Normally you don't need to save Genesis figures as Figure Assets. On the contrary, you have to be cautious about doing so. You just need to save Morph Assets.

Well, Assets and Presets are different things. The former are supporting files saved in Data folder, the latter are user-facing files you may repetitively load from Content Library to target objects. For instance, as for custom figure, you can save Character Presets or Properties Preset, etc.

So as a common user, most of the time you just need to well utilize Presets rather than Assets. But if you aim to be a content creator or need more customization, you'll need to deal with both of them.

edited January 26

If I understand properly :

- all "normal" presets for user-facing "option-to-apply" (apply/remove as we can see in smart content)

- "saved morphs" as support morphs (that appears as sliders in parameters/shaping)

- textures files in runtime/textures (placed there before call by user-facing presets)

Yea, that's right ~

Ok; Thanks a lot.

Hello,

There's something that keeps bothering me :

I can save materials, shapes BUT... it never saves as we can see in DAZ. I mean, products from DAZ have "MDL", "Actor" and this kind of mentions on the icons, but I don't have that. I've managed to get it one time but I can't find the method anymore.

• That is metadata, accessed by right-click on its folder then select the files and adjust their Content Type in the dialogue box, using the field in the middle.Though DS should geenrally do that for you, as long as you don't move the files from outside DS.

OK.

DAZ has a weird behavior, I can't manage to save a whole character materials or apply all materials, I mean, it keeps saving separetely "genesis 9"/"eyes"/"eyebrows"/"anatomical".

Select all, save as > materials, save as "character preset> materials" lead to the same result...

• felisfelis Posts: 3,907

To apply all materials, you should save as Hieracical material preset.

Ok, thanks.

Now the still missing part is the "MDL" indication.

arthenics said:

Ok, thanks.

Now the still missing part is the "MDL" indication.

As Richard said, in Content DB Editor, Type field, select Presets/Materials/MDL, Accept.

SNAG-2024-2-4-0001.png
    1124 x 960 - 78K