problem display in viewport obj file and fbx file

hi! sorry to disturb you. i've a little problem;

i bought two products (Big City lowpoly on 3dexport.com) to use them with the DAZ software to render. but when i import the OBJ file nothing appears in the viewport and with the FBX file only the greybox of the city appears but without the textures. i saw that you had used the same cities in some of your renders ( like "New Landmark" Published: Feb 27, 2022) do you know by any chance where the problem comes from? or if you did something in particular to display it on the viewport.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,909

Ref the obj that does not appear. Try to select it in the scene tab and click view frame. It might just be very tiny, if it is imported in wrong scale.

Ref import in general, imported materials will be very simple. Usually you have to allocate the textures manually.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

as above, usually if an obj is not appearing in viewport is because it is either tiny or enormous, so click the view in frame button to find it and confirm it imported, then either reimport at appropraite scale or scale in properties panel.

fbx import is very hit-or-miss, so usually i would always stick to obj.

Uusally i manually assign textures.  The automatic texturing of imported obj relies on .mtl (material library file that accompanies .obj) which is not very good at assigning textures correctly to the Iray Uber Shader and necessarily lacks Normal map assignment in material definitions.  It is better to assign textures manually in Surfaces tab (Drag and drop method being easiest) or, if you can be bothered, you can rewrite the .mtl file declarations to help with the material set up if you feel so inclined but will still probably need to do some manual reassignment for things that arent covered in the .mtl file.