Multiple ERCs On One Graft

I have two Conditional Grafts on a model to do a knot on a shirt that can be tied and untied, which also triggers a morph that causes the neck to open. The default state is to have the knot tied and neck closed.

I've set up two ERCs: First, turning off the "Laces Tied" graft turns on the "Laces Untied" graft. For the second, the Laces Untied graft being turned on activates the Morph to open the neck, as so:

If I turn the "Laces Tied" graft back on, everything resets to normal as it should.

Now, here's the problem: If, instead of turning the "Laces Tied" graft back on, I turn the "Untied" graft off, it turns off the untied laces and the morph, but doesn't turn the tied laces back on again. If I try to add a second ERC to the "Untied" graft to control this, one of two things happens:

1. The Laces Tied graft doesn't show up in the Freeze Properties list at all.
  2. If it DOES show up, trying to create a second ERC with it causes DS to crash. This also happens if I try to select both properties when creating the first ERC.

In this case I can work around it by hiding the Untied graft and Neck Open morph, so it can only be controlled with the "Tied" graft. However, I'm also working on another project with sword models where I'm going to be using grafts to create a modular weapon where you can switch out multiple different parts to create different swords. In which case I may have 4-5 different options for a given component, so I need each option to be visible in the Grafts list and set up so that enabling one option for a component disables the remaining options.

Is this a problem within DS that won't allow you to select multiple Freeze Properties under one particular graft? Why is it that sometimes a graft doesn't even appear in the list of available properties in the first place?

Closed.JPG
Open.JPG

Comments

• You cannot do two ERC Freezes on the same controller as it leads to duplicate4 formulas, leading to only one (the oriignal I think) working. If you want separate cotnrollers and a master then you need to set up the separate comtrollers first, then the master (at which you will see only the separate controllers, as their subcompinents will have their default values as far as the algorithm is concerned).

• Richard Haseltine said:

If you want separate cotnrollers and a master then you need to set up the separate comtrollers first, then the master (at which you will see only the separate controllers, as their subcompinents will have their default values as far as the algorithm is concerned).

How would I go about setting that up? I don't necessarily need to be able to do it, but it would make for a nice quality of life feature.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,413
    edited January 20

In your case, logically, when Untied is Off, Tied should be On... however, ERC does not support circular links in between properties on a single figure / prop. So, practically, your current method is appropriate,  i.e. : rename "Laces Tied" property to "Laces Untied / Tied" as a toggle, then hide "Laces Untied" property and related morphs. Besides, for such a case in which you set ERC in Property Hierarchy, you don't need to ERC Freeze any property...

As an alternative, you may use Enum Property type, in which you'll have more flexibility to define multiple controlling conditions with [Keyed] values. Then hide all Conditional Grafts and morph properties you don't wanna users to manually dial... (ss1)

Well, your modular sword case is different as there'll be separate objects (Props), so you shouldn't have issues of circular ERC links...

SNAG-2024-1-20-0059.png
    541 x 709 - 23K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • ambaryerno_f18cf8da31 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If you want separate cotnrollers and a master then you need to set up the separate comtrollers first, then the master (at which you will see only the separate controllers, as their subcompinents will have their default values as far as the algorithm is concerned).

How would I go about setting that up? I don't necessarily need to be able to do it, but it would make for a nice quality of life feature.

How many morphs/grafts are actually involved here? I was finding the description a little hard to follow, sorry.

• edited January 20

Richard Haseltine said:

ambaryerno_f18cf8da31 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

How many morphs/grafts are actually involved here? I was finding the description a little hard to follow, sorry.

In the case of the shirt, it's just the two: Tying and Untying the lacing at the neck. It's not a huge issue here because hiding the second craft accomplishes the same purpose. The multiple grafts come in on a different project. IE I'm making a sword that could have three crossguard styles to choose from, and each of those might have a couple variants (IE one has a square, round, or octogonal cross section).

Post edited by ambaryerno_f18cf8da31 on
  • crosswind said:

In your case, logically, when Untied is Off, Tied should be On... however, ERC does not support circular links in between properties on a single figure / prop. So, practically, your current method is appropriate,  i.e. : rename "Laces Tied" property to "Laces Untied / Tied" as a toggle, then hide "Laces Untied" property and related morphs. Besides, for such a case in which you set ERC in Property Hierarchy, you don't need to ERC Freeze any property...

As an alternative, you may use Enum Property type, in which you'll have more flexibility to define multiple controlling conditions with [Keyed] values. Then hide all Conditional Grafts and morph properties you don't wanna users to manually dial... (ss1)

Well, your modular sword case is different as there'll be separate objects (Props), so you shouldn't have issues of circular ERC links...

Enum looks promising. Will that one work for Props, too, or only on Figures like the Grafts?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,413
    edited January 20

ambaryerno_f18cf8da31 said:

crosswind said:

Enum looks promising. Will that one work for Props, too, or only on Figures like the Grafts?

Yup, that type works for both Figure and Props, with supporting all property types when you define ERC link. Pretty flexible.

SNAG-2024-1-21-0063.png
    1584 x 1159 - 233K
    Post edited by crosswind on