Iray render looks very pink (technical problem)

I'm very new to Daz and I just downloaded it. I'm currently trying out the Barefoot Dancer tutorial, and when i try to render it using Iray, the resulting image looks very pink.

I searched and thought that it might have something to do with a freeimage.dll, but i unistalled and deleted and reinstalled Daz Studio and there is no freeimage.dll in the folder. And I've also turned off my antivirus to prevent it from snatching away any dlls

So I'm still getting the pink render problem and any help would be much appreciated, thank you. the filepath that i was looking at is C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray

Comments

• Are you using the materials from the tutorial? There is an issue with the replacement for freeimage, usedin the current version of Iray, not supporting the compression used by FlipMode in many of their sets - most have now been updated to use a different compression method.

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 520

Usually when we see the pink render it can be one of a couple of issues:
    1. Path length for the needed file(s) 256 max length including spaces and file names
    2. Shader base may need to be updated
    3. Actual image file says it's loading but it isn't

Can you empty your log file (Help/Troubleshooting/View Log File) and reload the scene then upload the new log file here please? That should help narrow it down!

• desfendesfen Posts: 75

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you using the materials from the tutorial? There is an issue with the replacement for freeimage, usedin the current version of Iray, not supporting the compression used by FlipMode in many of their sets - most have now been updated to use a different compression method.

yeah i just followed the tutorial steps exactly

Elliandra said:

Usually when we see the pink render it can be one of a couple of issues:
    1. Path length for the needed file(s) 256 max length including spaces and file names
    2. Shader base may need to be updated
    3. Actual image file says it's loading but it isn't

Can you empty your log file (Help/Troubleshooting/View Log File) and reload the scene then upload the new log file here please? That should help narrow it down!

ok i've uploaded it

and i've got some forum questions, when will my posts no longer require approval, and how do i change my forum username, thanks

txt
    txt
    pink log.txt
  • That doesn't include a render, nor does it include the start up messages which might have been helpful.

You can edit your user name here https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/edit/

Richard Haseltine said:

That doesn't include a render, nor does it include the start up messages which might have been helpful.

You can edit your user name here https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/edit/

thanks, and ok hope this log helps

txt
    txt
    pink log 2.txt

Morning!
    Ok looking at the full log file it looks like you may need to update your nvidia drivers.
    If you scroll down to line 490 that section there is saying that Studio can't access the needed Nvidia API and that your Cuda driver version is 0.0 instead of the 11.8 that is required. You will also need to update your video card drivers to 522.06 at the minimum which you can do at www.nvidia.com.
    Just plug in the video card information in the dropdown boxes on the page linked above to get started with the updates.
    This should also take care of the missing Nvidia dll files from lines 514 (nv_openimageio.dll) and 515 (nvcuvid_video_decoder.dll).

Once you have the updates done and restarted your PC if you could retry the tutorial and let us know if it's working for you please? This helps narrow down the possible causes!
    Elli

Elliandra said:

Morning!
    Ok looking at the full log file it looks like you may need to update your nvidia drivers.
    If you scroll down to line 490 that section there is saying that Studio can't access the needed Nvidia API and that your Cuda driver version is 0.0 instead of the 11.8 that is required. You will also need to update your video card drivers to 522.06 at the minimum which you can do at www.nvidia.com.
    Just plug in the video card information in the dropdown boxes on the page linked above to get started with the updates.
    This should also take care of the missing Nvidia dll files from lines 514 (nv_openimageio.dll) and 515 (nvcuvid_video_decoder.dll).

Once you have the updates done and restarted your PC if you could retry the tutorial and let us know if it's working for you please? This helps narrow down the possible causes!
    Elli

oh i see, i'm using a laptop and its GPU is AMD Radeon

should i switch to another ray-tracer or should i try to do CPU rendering

and the CPU is Intel

and oh yeah, to clarify, its integrated graphics, consisting of both Intel HD and AMD Radeon GPUs

and my bad, looks like only CPU rendering is available in my Daz Studio

edited January 19

Morning sorry for the delay in replying!
    Yea the Cuda/GPU rendering is for Nvidia cards. I'm not sure on the Radeon GPU's so lemme go see if I can track down someone that does know for you!

I grabbed the link for the Iray Benchmark Page it has tons of info on the different CPU's/GPU's that it works with and if you check the links in the first post they have render times and other info that might be helpful to see if your system will be able to run it without bogging down on the render.

Post edited by Elliandra on

Elliandra said:

Morning sorry for the delay in replying!
    Yea the Cuda/GPU rendering is for Nvidia cards. I'm not sure on the Radeon GPU's so lemme go see if I can track down someone that does know for you!

I grabbed the link for the Iray Benchmark Page it has tons of info on the different CPU's/GPU's that it works with and if you check the links in the first post they have render times and other info that might be helpful to see if your system will be able to run it without bogging down on the render.

thanks, so apparently it works with Intel CPUs, which is my laptop's, do you know where to get such drivers to update my CPU with 

Morning!

Check out Intel's Site here for driver updates and support!

Elliandra said:

Morning!

Check out Intel's Site here for driver updates and support!

nice thanks, i think mine is already fully updated, hmm

and just wondering Gordig said that i shouldn't need any special drivers to CPU render in Iray

You shouldn't but sometimes having the current drivers will help the overall system performance wink

edited January 24

Elliandra said:

You shouldn't but sometimes having the current drivers will help the overall system performance wink

oh yeah, i'm wondering, how come the error log says that i'm lacking nvidia stuff even though its supposed to be CPU rendering

Post edited by desfen on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

desfen said:

Elliandra said:

oh yeah, i'm wondering, how come the error log says that i'm lacking nvidia stuff even though its supposed to be CPU rendering

Iray is developed by nvidia, so there might be mentions of nvidia related to iray itself, not a GPU.

edited January 25

Leana said:

desfen said:

Elliandra said:

Iray is developed by nvidia, so there might be mentions of nvidia related to iray itself, not a GPU.

hmm, what do you think i need to get in order to stop my render from being all pink and magenta 

Post edited by desfen on

robertswww said:

@desfen See the following...

PINK Renders
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/115221/pink-renders

Iray Pink Render Problem (Solved)
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/98756/iray-pink-render-problem-solved

thanks, yeah i came across those already

what i'm curious about is whether i need additional drivers when i'm already doing CPU rendering

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 790

desfen said:

what i'm curious about is whether i need additional drivers when i'm already doing CPU rendering

@desfen You don't need any additional drivers for CPU rendering, as CPU rendering will work fine with Intel CPU, AMD processor, Mac Silicon, etc.

Have you tried to create a basic 1-figure scene to see if you still get the pink render?

Try adding items, one-at-a-time, to see if you can determine if it's a lighting issue, HDRI issue, shader, texture, or material issue, etc.

robertswww said:

desfen said:

@desfen You don't need any additional drivers for CPU rendering, as CPU rendering will work fine with Intel CPU, AMD processor, Mac Silicon, etc.

Have you tried to create a basic 1-figure scene to see if you still get the pink render?

Try adding items, one-at-a-time, to see if you can determine if it's a lighting issue, HDRI issue, shader, texture, or material issue, etc.

oh i see, so i was just following the Barefoot Dancer introductory tutorial and the entire render is solidly awash with magenta

and Ellandria also took a look at my log file

Elliandra said:

by the way i'm currently using some scripted renderers in case this problem is intractable 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,008
    Check your Tone Mapping settings and make sure your white balance is white and not some blue or cyan value.

barbult said:

Check your Tone Mapping settings and make sure your white balance is white and not some blue or cyan value.

well its like just awash in pure bright magenta, kinda like some of those earlier magenta errors, though i think those issues were with nvidia gpus 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,008

desfen said:

barbult said:

well its like just awash in pure bright magenta, kinda like some of those earlier magenta errors, though i think those issues were with nvidia gpus 

Did you look at the Tone Mapping settings? It can totally change the overall color of the render if it is set incorrectly.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,075

You may be interested in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8581051/

FenixPhoenix said:

You may be interested in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8581051/

yeah its exactly like those pink errors, though i lack an nvidia GPU and am using CPU rendering 

barbult said:

desfen said:

barbult said:

Did you look at the Tone Mapping settings? It can totally change the overall color of the render if it is set incorrectly.

cos Elliandra suggested from my error log that its some missing nvidia components