Make a hard piece of clothing with Dforce modifier

starkadhstarkadh Posts: 52

Hello. I need to drape a clothing on another, on the ground. But the fabric I need to drape isn't as light as silk. It has to be more like a sheet of rubber. But I can't find the parameters to manipulate in order to get a more rigid piece of fabric.
I found these values:
- stretch stiffness
- shear stiffness
- bend stiffness
- buckling stiffness

They should be pretty clear to use and I tried many combinations with a plane with 500 subdivisions. But nothing seems to change from a simulation to another. The fabric that falls, is draped always as if it were silk.
How can I increase the rigidity of the clothing simulation?

Post edited by starkadh on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,097
    edited January 16

Just a quick test using a 25 division plane (because I hit enter too soon, though for stiff fabrics you want to limit the divisions if you can) - the Surfaces pane shows the values I changed for the plane on the left of the image, and i gave it 32 subframes and 5s stabilisation time too.

dForce stifness.jpg
    1459 x 768 - 160K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,410
    edited January 16

Yes, 1st of all, pls don't add too many divisions. As an alternative, try with Buckling Stiffness only, or Bucking Stiffness + Velocity Smoothing. The latter can significantly make the surface more rigid.

The examples below are with a primitive plane of 40 divisions. 1. Default draping 2. High Buckling Stiffness, 3. + Velocity Smoothing. You may further tweak the value to have more subtle change of draping result.

SNAG-2024-1-16-0034.png
    2560 x 1400 - 426K
    SNAG-2024-1-16-0035.png
    2560 x 1400 - 428K
    SNAG-2024-1-16-0036.png
    2560 x 1400 - 412K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • starkadhstarkadh Posts: 52

thank you all ^__^
    It works