3D Modeling - Do you add a little gap between a door and its frame?

JamesJames Posts: 929

I'm an amateur.
So I would like to know the practice.

When modeling interior, do you add a little gap between a door and it's frame?

Because when given a texture, without a gap they become like one solid object.

Post edited by James on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,909

I would leave a small space between the door and the frame.

In real life, there need to be a gap, so you can open the door.

• Yes, it bugs me when a (pivotting) door is tight to the fram since it then clips slightly when being opened.

• RurisRuris Posts: 123

James said:

I'm an amateur.
    So I would like to know the practice.

When modeling interior, do you add a little gap between a door and it's frame?

Because when given a texture, without a gap they become like one solid object.

Definitely leave a gap, it will create a nice shadow when you test render it.

• Model hinges for the door. That creates a space.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,883

I would recommend that you bevel the edges of the door and frame so they are not exactly 90 degree edges.  this will help add realizm to the model

• When doing my little rigged door & wall model over at Rendo, I measured the door I was copying. Widthwise it was 3mm narrower than the frame and 6mm shorter, with a 2mm gap at the bottom and 4 at the top. The bevel that Mattymanx mentions was not something I did, instead I played with the Uber shader and set the 'Angle' at 90.1 degrees and the radius as 0.2cm, this leaves Iray to put in a 2mm fillet at all points where the surfaces came together. I set it NOT to blend across materials. When rigging it, the pivot was at the centre of the hinge model.

Regards,

Richard