Saving a file takes long (SOLVED)

plarffplarff Posts: 256

Hi all.

I have mention it before but it's just rediculous. I just made a save with NOTHING in it and it took just over 3min to save the empty file. 
Yes i have 2600 assets that are all on my NAS / SSD device connected on my Workgroup 1gb LAN network.
My PC is no slouch either and I just cannot see it being that. Actually I'm not convinced it's DAZ or if its not DAZ that is the bottleneck. Clearing a scene is almost as long.
My OS is on a 512 SSD drive. My actual .duf files are on a M.2 drive. All my drives are between 40-50% used. I am using latest DAZ v4.22.

I have done what I can to have Win11 cache speed up drive access. Anyone have some advice? Honestly seperating my assets onto another drive in smaller portions, I'm not really willing to do.

I  just cleared the cache temp and log file in Preferences no difference.

Post edited by plarff on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,412
    edited January 14

That sounds rediculous indeed...with just an empty scene. It's irrelevant to the number of assets you have. Everything in your scene file are stacked in RAM...

I would suggest:

- 1st, check the file size, it should be less than 20K (uncompressed) or 4K (compressed) if it was an empty scene. If it's not, that means the scene was not really empty. Dbl-check your scene...
    - 2nd, retry a saving with unchecking "Compress File" in Scene Save Options dialogue, see if there's any difference...
    - 3rd, retry a saving to your local disk rather than NAS / SSD...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • plarffplarff Posts: 256

crosswind said:

That sounds rediculous indeed...with just an empty scene. It's irrelevant to the number of assets you have. Everything in your scene file are stacked in RAM...

I would suggest:

- 1st, check the file size, it should be less than 20K (uncompressed) or 4K (compressed) if it was an empty scene. If it's not, that means the scene was not really empty. Dbl-check your scene...
    - 2nd, retry a saving with unchecking "Compress File" in Scene Save Options dialogue, see if there's any difference...
    - 3rd, retry a saving to your local disk rather than NAS / SSD...

Hey fellow cat person.
    I will try your suggestions and revert back. Thanks 

DUDE... I think you nailed it. Moving my .duf or My Library files to my C-drve helped so much. 

the empty .duf file was 7.8kb in size so yeah shouldnt have taken 3 min to save. Now its instant since moving to my C-drive. What worries me is that my SSD seems to faster than my two M.2 drives where i stored my .duf files on. Yes i had it on the one drive until it just became too slow to use then i moved it to my other M.2 and it was slightly better up till last week or so its jsut slow as hell. 
    Now it seems way faster. so thank you.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,412

plarff said:

DUDE... I think you nailed it. Moving my .duf or My Library files to my C-drve helped so much. 

the empty .duf file was 7.8kb in size so yeah shouldnt have taken 3 min to save. Now its instant since moving to my C-drive. What worries me is that my SSD seems to faster than my two M.2 drives where i stored my .duf files on. Yes i had it on the one drive until it just became too slow to use then i moved it to my other M.2 and it was slightly better up till last week or so its jsut slow as hell. 

That's great, fellow cat person! Glad you solved the issue. laugh

crosswind said:

plarff said:

Just Puuurrfffeectt ! 

crosswind said:

plarff said:

Just Puuurrfffeectt !