Does anyone here use Interactive (Biased) mode in Iray?

When it works correctly, the interactive mode in Iray is shockingly good, it looks 80-90% as good as photoreal in some situations but at a fraction of the render time, which is really good for animation. 

But multiple times there would be some wall I would hit that would be a showstopper if I tried to use it. For example, recently I discovered that interactive mode has a bug where hair assets with scalp meshes tend to have a slight 'shadow' unless I just straight up delete the scalp mesh, cutout opacity has no effect.

I imagine this would be a big problem for other users but no one else has written about it on the daz forums, which makes me wonder, does anyone else even use interactive mode?

Comments

• DiasporaDiaspora Posts: 413

damn

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,842

I find denoising with only 10 iterations on the photoreal just as fast for animation albeit a bit dreamy looking 

I also use Mitchel filtering and a path length of 8

edited January 15

"and a path length of 8"

Oh, that's a good idea, I should experiment with that. 

Last time I tried messing with path length, the eyes looked glitchy, iirc something to do with the eyes need a minimum path length for light rays to go through all the layers of the eyes but 8 seems like a good threshold. Thank you

Post edited by Diaspora on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,842

yes anything less than 8 gives me issues with cutout opacity, reflections, caustics etc

So, I've tried a lot of different things but at this point the only thing that seems to really fix it is to alter the scalp part of the hair mesh to not cover any significant amounts of exposed skin. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, depending on the model it can just be a few minutes with the geometry editor tool. 

Far as I can tell, it seems like it's just a bug that even a completely transparent part of a mesh will still cause some amount of occlusion, apparently.