Moved DAZ to New Computer; Why Did My Scenes Break? Files Missing... [SOLVED!]

DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536

Hello all! So recently I got a new computer and today moved DAZ onto it. But, I opened a scene and some (only some!) of the content came up as missng, as in the screenshot here:

https://gyazo.com/a9b497e33ede6330d552402b8407ffbd

So, a few things:

- This is on Windows. On the old computer I had DAZ installed on my C:\ drive, but now it's installed on my new computer's D:\ drive.

- A great majority of my DAZ content is on a totally seperate drive, my F:\ drive -- including the supposedly "missing" files. But the thing is, I made a brand new F:\ drive on my new computer, all the content IS there (I checked!).

- I checked that the content file path on the F:\ drive is EXACTLY the same. It is. As a matter of fact, plenty of content in the scene loaded in from the F:\ drive just fine. On top of that, when I loaded one of the supposedly missing files brand new into the scene, it worked just fine! :o

- I cannot see any pattern indicating why someone content showed and others didn't. For example, I have a dress in the scene. The dress mesh is there, but DAZ isn't "reading" or finding the textures for it, even though the files are indeed on the F:\ drive, same exact file path.

- I have told DAZ via the Content Directory Manager to be sure to read my F:\ drive as a content source. It is working.

- My computer username did change, and that's the only real path change I can possibly think of but I have no idea what, if anything, in DAZ would be attached to that.

So, the content is there but the scene just isn't reading that it is.

Any help is appreciated. I want to finally move to a new computer but of course, DAZ not working is going to delay that, because DAZ is a big reason I got a new computer at all!

Also, PS -- Treat me like a new student if you give me suggestions, especially anything that involves big words like "manifest files" or some such, because I have no clue how to do any of that XD

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,431

Since you mentioned that it works with loading brand new items, e.g. from Victorian Decor, first of all, pls follow the steps below to check the scene file (DUF file):

1) go to Windows - Panes (Tabs) - Batch Convert, uncompress the scene file (ss1)

2) download and install free Notepad++ from here if you don't have it - https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

3) open the scene file with Notepad++, search "Lauries" or "VACBase" and check what the path of runtime/textures looks like...  (ss2)

SNAG-2024-1-12-0019.png
    592 x 651 - 45K
    SNAG-2024-1-12-0020.png
    2560 x 1400 - 174K
  • I got it fixed!!! But, let me explain how.

So..... I ended up discovering that other "links" on my computer weren't working, due to the username being changed. So I did two things now:

- I made a new user account with the same username as the original computer;

- I made sure to copy my AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D folder and that the file path was exactly the same.

Voila! I'm now good to go. Thank you for the help.