[Still Pending & Moved] Dying Video Card? Replacement Options?

TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Not sure if Windows Update, Nvidia, or my aging P5000.  Around October, card would stop responding to iray previews after about three.  Then have to reboot.  (Using DS 4.21)  When updated to DS 4.22 & DAZ Essentials, started getting fatal display error.  Went back to DS 4.21 but probabaly just coincidence.  

The fatal error happens so quickly, haven't been able snap a photo with iPad before Windows 10 shuts desktop down.    Difficult to describe.   Looks like streaming when wi-fi starts to lag.  Pixelate with small RGB squares.  Then the screen goes completely red-green-blue-white horizontal stripes & Windows 10 shuts it down in a few seconds.   Bought a replacement cable but didn't make any diff.

1.) Is there a way to test the card?  It works fine in display, games, and Photoshop-- any app that's not putting stress on it at 95% - 99%  usage rhythm.  (viewed in task manager)

2.) If card is about to go, replacements?   I'm thinking A5000 but confused by A5000 ADA version.  The latter is more expensive because 24 vs 32GB?  One is for laptops?   I have an old fashioned desktop machine

I hope all this makes sense.  Tech nowadays can get confusing.   Suggestions or explanations in layman's terms welcome.  : )

Post edited by Tynkere on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,844

This has been used to track down problems other tests have not found;

https://www.ocbase.com/

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,892
    edited January 11

I had something VERY similar happening to me on Windows 11 last month. You can get chat support from Microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus (sign in > select windows> enter question> click support button at bottom of screen)

My problem, I discovered after SEVERAL days was that a WIndows update had rolled back my graphics driver to an outdated one, but kept treating the new one like it wasn't correct and  kept doing it. So even when I updated my driver, it would roll back to the outdated one repeatedly whenever I shut down my pc. Microsoft did eventually fix my problem but I don't know what they did.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited January 12

PerttiA said:

This has been used to track down problems other tests have not found;

https://www.ocbase.com/

Wow!  Just tried it and appears to give status on just about everything. 

Sample from DS 4.21 log file when I had the fatal errors.  1000s on lines to scroll through. 

example:

"2024-01-11 20:01:35.169 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - PLUG:PLUGIN ::   0.0   PLUG   plug error: Library C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\avcodec-58.dll: symbol "mi_plugin_factory" not found."

Also something about an "illegal memory access" -- all Greek to me.

Anyway, test render and OCCT didn't display any errors so hopefully rule out hardware failures. yes

Thanks for the tip. 

JasmineSkunk said:

I had something VERY similar happening to me on Windows 11 last month. You can get chat support from Microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus (sign in > select windows> enter question> click support button at bottom of screen)

My problem, I discovered after SEVERAL days was that a WIndows update had rolled back my graphics driver to an outdated one, but kept treating the new one like it wasn't correct and  kept doing it. So even when I updated my driver, it would roll back to the outdated one repeatedly whenever I shut down my pc. Microsoft did eventually fix my problem but I don't know what they did.

Glad I'm not the only one and glad you got yours fixed. 

My desktop doesn't automatically connect to the internet.  Went on-line, Device Manager, Properties, P5000--  "Driver up to date." 

Looked at optional Windows update and MS did have slightly newer driver version.   Seems to have solved problem but since intermittent, crossing fingers.  Least I'll have some info if have to go to chat.  I hadn't thought about getting help that way, so thanks for the tip.  : )

Best wishes & enjoy 2024 with technical issues. ; )

OCCT_Shot.png
    1534 x 1202 - 2M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,844

Tynkere said:

My desktop doesn't automatically connect to the internet.  Went on-line, Device Manager, Properties, P5000--  "Driver up to date." 

Looked at optional Windows update and MS did have slightly newer driver version.   Seems to have solved problem but since intermittent, crossing fingers.  Least I'll have some info if have to go to chat.  I hadn't thought about getting help that way, so thanks for the tip.  : )

Do not trust Microsoft with GPU drivers, for Nvidia cards with DS, there is only one reliable source for the drivers; https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

The ones Microsoft is trying to push may not be up-to-date or even compatible.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,892
    edited January 12

PerttiA said:

Tynkere said:

Do not trust Microsoft with GPU drivers, for Nvidia cards with DS, there is only one reliable source for the drivers; https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Agree with this. yes That was my problem. Windows kept trying to put on their own driver in there, which wasn't working. But I did need their help to stop windows from doing that.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,217

PerttiA said:

surprise 

Doesn't MS just get its Drivers from nVidia after they've been vetted or out for a while? 

The 'optional' update turned out to be 31.0.15 or '537.58' I think.  Either that or it didn't do anything since that's the one I'd installed previously as 'last known good version.'

Just happy the old desktop still has some life in it.  Probably build new desktop when DS 5 comes out & see what DAZ does with 3DL & iRay.  By then they'll Genesis 10 ?  : 0 ! 

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

PS:  Savings account also very happy.  ; )   

edited January 22

I got a photo of it at least.  Pretty sure p5000 is on its last legs.  Behavior is same in DS4.20, 4.21 and 4.22.  The photo is from DS4.21

OCCT hardware test says no errors.  Skeptical or maybe that's not how it works.  Right in the middle of a render, fatal error.   OCCT is saying "no errors"   What?

1.) Render simple test scene w/G8.1, six lights in a 6 plane environment.  Two props.  Optimized and takes up about 6GB 

Drivers attempted & failed so far in DS 4.21

546.33 (studio) whql

546.17 (studio) whql

537.70 studio) whql  -- last known good install before DS 4.22 & DAZ Essentials Updates.  Also compounding is Windows 10 update.

====

System Unit (now a potato)

MoBo is PCIe version 3

64GB RAM

CPU i-7 (6700) "skylake" @ 3.99GHz

----

Bottom line:

Most cost effective replacement for P5000 (paschal GP104 chip) until I build a desktop with more up to date PCIe version.

If and only if  the following cards would even work with PCI express version 3...

--

RTX A4000  16GB and draws 130W (should run cooler since drawing less power?)  Will be slower with PCIe version 3 if it works

RTX A4500  20GB and draws 200W   Higher price  for just 4GB.  Why?  It would be faster if drawing more power?

---

When I do build a more up to date system unit, RTX Quadro A6000 still solid & reliable or ADA type (Lovelace?) -- most current?   I have some catching up to do with tech.  

Hope all that makes sense.  Been working on this all day.  Time to give it a break.

Note to moderators:

She is wearing a top-- although with psychedelic look, be hard to tell.

IMG_0700.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M