Using content from two external hard drives on new laptop help

I got a new laptop for Christmas.  It has less hard drive space than my old laptop does.  On my old laptop I have over 2 TB of content, so it wont all fit on my new laptop.  I copied all my DAZ stuff onto 2 2TB external hard drives because one wasnt enough space.  I dont want to put any of the stuff on my new laptop.  I have an issue when I try to open a scene, I get a window telling me that a ton of data could not be found, and so the clothes are gray blocks, and my character doesnt have all the morphs applied.  I dont know what to do.  I really can't be putting all that stuff on my new laptop.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,959

did you put in the new addresses for your content ,when you moved it to the new externals?

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,677

Anything in the runtime or data folders is VERY path specific. It sounds like you have not added the base library paths in a way that Daz requires. Can you send a screenshot of your contact paths with the sections expanded alongside the relevant areas of your drives in Windows explorer?

Also, you say you have split an existing library over two separate drives - not really sure if splitting up a product's folders across two physical locations is supported or not.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,431

Agree with SofaCitizen... I also wonder how you split one Library onto separate drives with ensuring the integrity of products in each single Library.

You should uninstall the recently installed products first to make the 2TB+ Library less than 2TB, then move it to one of those drives. After that, reinstall the products to another drive.

Then configure two new lib paths in F2 - Content tab - Content Directory Manager.

• BoorsmanBoorsman Posts: 249

What I did was I copied my Daz content from my public documents folder onto an external hard drive.  I then tried to copy my daz content from my user/my name/documents folder onto the same hard drive, but there wasnt enough space left.  I bought another external hard drive and put that content on it.  Now, when I try to open a scene, first it tells me a lot of data files couldn't be found, and some of the morphs, especially the ones I convserted or made my self don't show up.

edited January 11

Boorsman said:

What I did was I copied my Daz content from my public documents folder onto an external hard drive.  I then tried to copy my daz content from my user/my name/documents folder onto the same hard drive, but there wasnt enough space left.  I bought another external hard drive and put that content on it.  Now, when I try to open a scene, first it tells me a lot of data files couldn't be found, and some of the morphs, especially the ones I convserted or made my self don't show up.

But after you copied your content over did you change where they were in your content directory in DAZ Studio?

Content Directory Manager .png
    1025 x 991 - 114K
    Post edited by carrie58 on

I didn't change anything.  I installed DAZ on my new laptop.  What I'm doing is trying to open a scene on my new laptop loading it from the two external hard drives.  Unfortunantly I can't put the content onto my new laptop because it has a smaller hard drive than my old one.

edited January 11

Boorsman said:

I didn't change anything.  I installed DAZ on my new laptop.  What I'm doing is trying to open a scene on my new laptop loading it from the two external hard drives.  Unfortunantly I can't put the content onto my new laptop because it has a smaller hard drive than my old one.

That will be why it's failing then. You need to add the new base folders to Daz Studio under the "Daz Studio Formats" as per Carrie's reply. Storing the content on an internal drive, external drive or networked location does not matter as long as you inform Daz Studio where to look.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on

So, if I look at where it's located in Daz on my old laptop, and try to set it up the same way, it should work?

edited January 11

Well, no, because you moved the folders onto the external drive. You need to tell Daz where the CURRENT locations of the libraries are.

Post edited by SofaCitizen on

I'll have to try that when I get home.  I'm currently at work now.

Ppperently I have another 121GB of data to copy over to my external hard drive.  Hopefully I have enough space.

I finally got it to work.  After many trial and error of how to set up the content on the external hard drives, and adding it to Daz through the content manager, I finally got a scene to load!  Thank you, Carrie58, SofaCitizen, and Crpsswind for your help.

Yeah!! isn't that a great feeling !!