How to use some cloth model from Turbosquid or similar platforms for a Genesis figure?

DissendiorDissendior Posts: 117

I run into this issue from time to time: I find some cloth that I'd like to use in a Daz scene, let's say a shirt or a jacket, and the model of the cloth is not defined in the default A pose. How can I import this cloth into daz and make it follow the character?

I tried it that way:

• import the obj of the cloth and adjust the scale and position (maybe here lies the problem?)
  • pose the character so that the arms fit (closely) into the sleeves
  • Transfer utility:
    • Item shape for source (character model): Current
    • Item shape for target (cloth model): Current (and I've tried default)
    • tried checked and unchecked "Reverse Source Shape from Target"

Nothing works: either the cloth does not get the rig or it is misplaced. I managed to use the Transfer utility for cloth I've created in Marvelous Designer sucessfully but I fail all the time for models I get from somewhere else.

Another question: I thought maybe it would be better to export the Daz character and adjust the model in Blender but when I start to edit the cloth model (in edit mode or sculpt mode) I fail to adjust the form correctly. I think I miss some basic skills in modelling / scultping so I would be grateful for any tip for a good course or tutorial how tasks like these can be done in Blender.

Post edited by Dissendior on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,924

I think your best option is to take it into a modeller and adjust the clothing so it fit a base character in A-pose, so you can use the default transfer utility.

You might be able to do that in MD. I don't have MD, so I don't know.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,431
    edited January 5

As for the 1st part, it should work but you missed one step... after tweaking both of clothing and figure pose, you need to export clothing to OBJ and import it back to "bake Transforms", before rigging it with Transfer Utility. There's no problem with the settings you set in Transfer Utility (though it's not a perfect way...).

As for the modeling / sculpting with Blender, I also recommend this way. Always export a Genesis Base figure to Blender as the basis to tweak clothing object only. Sculpting works well in most of the cases. But I'm not sure if that was a solid issue as you mentioned "...fail to adjust the form correctly".  Maybe you better post a screenshot.... Besides, another key factor is that you have to assure the geomtery of the clothing object is welded... otherwise there'll be other problems after you bringing it back to DS for further manipulation...(rigging, creating / tweaking morphs, add dForce modifier, etc...)

Btw, there're quite a lot of free tutorials on youtube related to editing / sculpting object geometry in Blender.... You may easily search and get some good ones....

Post edited by crosswind on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

felis said:

I think your best option is to take it into a modeller and adjust the clothing so it fit a base character in A-pose, so you can use the default transfer utility.

You might be able to do that in MD. I don't have MD, so I don't know.

Yes use morph target or a pose-transition animation to simulate to the new pose.

MD simulation only works on welded clothing. If mesh pieces are unwelded, then they will fall apart during simulation

Yes, and in case there're some unwelded mesh (better not...),  depending on the clothing, you may try to use Pins in MD before simulation. But anyway, an unwelded clothing or clothing object is always troublesome...

• DissendiorDissendior Posts: 117

Thank you all for your answers. What I mean with "...fail to adjust the form correctly" is that I lack the skill to use sculpting well at the moment. Technically I know how to use these tools in Blender but when I try to use it the result looks usually bad blush For example I loose the form, the proportion or details... I will need practice but it's good to know that this actually is the way to go.

What do you mean with "unwelded" vs. "welded" cloth? These are terms I still struggle with a little bit when it comes to 3d cloth. When I export from MD I can choose welded / unwelded. As I got it so far this means that the resulting object either consists of one big mesh (= welded) where all parts are connected to each others or of multiple single meshes for each pattern (= unwelded). Is this correct? The jacket I currently try to adjust for a daz character is a model consistig of multiple single meshes / objects. They share one UV but they are not connected. Here actually it happened that when I managed to import the jacket into MD and started the simluation all parts fell apart.. So just to clarify it for me: when I have such an cloth object and I'd like to use it in MD (or in Daz) I'd need to connect the single parts to avoid this effect? I'd need to go into Blender for example and there I'd need to connect these meshes by hand in edit mode by connecting the vertices?

I think when this is the case the jacket might not be very useful as it consists of 14 single objects with a very "organic" form and more than 175.000 vertices. I think to find the correct vertices which need to be connected to each others would be a very tedious task... or is this the kind of work you just need to do?? For me it's still so difficult to evaluate which of all this hand-work is really just necessary to do and which of it I would just do because I don't know a super-cool tool or technique smiley Or when it comes to 3d models like this jacket I'm not confident it estimating the quality and work I need to invest to use it for my purposes... like this jacket: can I use it for a daz character as it is or how much work I need to invest to get it right? Or is it useless and it would be better to do it from scratch in MD?

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited January 5

You might want to change the title of your post to something like "how do I use" (with a question mark at the end) rather than "how to use" so it is a question and doesn't look like it's going to be a tutorial.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on

Cris Palomino said:

You might want to change the title of your post to something like "how do I use" (with a question mark at the end) rather than "how to use" so it is a question and doesn't look like it's going to be a tutorial.

done yes

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Dissendior said:

Cris Palomino said:

done yes

yes 

edited January 5

Dissendior said:

Thank you all for your answers. What I mean with "...fail to adjust the form correctly" is that I lack the skill to use sculpting well at the moment. Technically I know how to use these tools in Blender but when I try to use it the result looks usually bad blush For example I loose the form, the proportion or details... I will need practice but it's good to know that this actually is the way to go.

What do you mean with "unwelded" vs. "welded" cloth? These are terms I still struggle with a little bit when it comes to 3d cloth. When I export from MD I can choose welded / unwelded. As I got it so far this means that the resulting object either consists of one big mesh (= welded) where all parts are connected to each others or of multiple single meshes for each pattern (= unwelded). Is this correct?

That is correct. Patterns in MD are sewn together as a garment, while the vertices of the sewn patterns have to be connected by checking "Welded" when exporting to a single OBJ. for the purpose of use in DS.

The jacket I currently try to adjust for a daz character is a model consistig of multiple single meshes / objects. They share one UV but they are not connected. Here actually it happened that when I managed to import the jacket into MD and started the simluation all parts fell apart.. So just to clarify it for me: when I have such an cloth object and I'd like to use it in MD (or in Daz) I'd need to connect the single parts to avoid this effect? I'd need to go into Blender for example and there I'd need to connect these meshes by hand in edit mode by connecting the vertices?

OK. It's commonly seen that lots of non-Daz native format "clothing object" from those 3rd-party sites are with unwelded geometry. But there're some options you may consider and try:
    - Since you know Blender, just simply make the jacket welded by using Weld modifier. You'll lose the original UV in this way but vertex groups are kept, so you still can use Shader products in DS to texturize the jacket. There're lots of high quality fabric shader products of Daz.  (Or you unwarp UV youself in Blender to make a new UV layout, then texturize it in DS, Blender or in other software like Adobe Pt.)
    - As for the way of welding vertices plus keeping original UV layout, AFAIK, there's a nearly perfect workflow in Maya by using Transfer Attributes plus some necessary fixing. You may search it on youtube. But to me, it may not necesssary for this case...

I think when this is the case the jacket might not be very useful as it consists of 14 single objects with a very "organic" form and more than 175.000 vertices. I think to find the correct vertices which need to be connected to each others would be a very tedious task... or is this the kind of work you just need to do?? For me it's still so difficult to evaluate which of all this hand-work is really just necessary to do and which of it I would just do because I don't know a super-cool tool or technique smiley Or when it comes to 3d models like this jacket I'm not confident it estimating the quality and work I need to invest to use it for my purposes... like this jacket: can I use it for a daz character as it is or how much work I need to invest to get it right? Or is it useless and it would be better to do it from scratch in MD?

As above-mentioned, I think you still have chance to make it work in DS with this "jacket object", by using the 1st simple option. After it's being welded, you may import it into MD for simulation if you'd like to. There should be no fall apart. And you may even try converting the object to patterns...
    Pls be noted that if there're some physical objects on the jacket like buttons or sth., you may cut them out beforehand, then import as OBJ and attach them to the jacket body by using Rigid Follow Node in DS.

Anyway, there're quite a few ways of manipulation... no harm to try. smiley

Post edited by crosswind on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,273

I only ever buy MD .zprj files or photogrammetry scans, that way i know there will be no welding issues and they wont fall apart in Marvelous Designer.

(I think there is another way to weld in blender, by doing join nearby verticies, but that is likely to be imperfect as relies on the neighbouring pieces of mesh having vertices in same place.  Which i guess is not always a given.  So probably would not recommend this approach)

Yea ~ I think Merge vertices may also work.

thank you all for your feedback