Documentation Help

ZombieLoveZombieLove Posts: 31

I've searched around the internet and on these forums. I went to the DAZ documentation center but that isn't what I need; most of it is on how to use DAZ Studio and I know how to use it. I am trying to build products for Genesis 9 and 8. Genesis 8 is fairly straight forward as far as geografting and shaping is concerned. The same can be said for genesis 9 as far as shaping is concerned (export base obj, create morph in some other software, import new shape, morph loader pro...yada yada) but with geografts is where it gets interesting. I can take a portion of the base genesis 9 (with female morph dialed in) and duplicate vertexes to a new object, shape the object, load it back into DAZ Studio, mark the attachment surface and the hidden surface... all of that is standard for G9 as it was for G8 however my geografts always end up in the wrong place. I suspect because the transfer tool needs this to be on the zero'd (shape/position) G9 base figure. The pose is now zero'd always but I want to build content for each of the base shapes (feminine and masculine) seperate. How is this accomplished? Does everyone just mode/transfer it on the base always? I've tried all the options under the tool and nothing seems to work. I am purchasing this offering from the store: https://www.daz3d.com/essential-introduction-to-genesis-9-for-content-creators (it doesn't specifically call out geografts but I am sure there are some useful things here for me to know still) to help me but I am also looking for documentation on this for Genesis 9. My google fu might not be up to the task of finding this information but any links you all have would be appreciated! Again, G8 is fairly straight forward so I would like specifically for topics on geografting for genesis 9. It seems weird to me for such a mature product (G9) to not have this documenation easier to locate. Perhaps it is just me? Thanks in advance!

Post edited by ZombieLove on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381
    edited January 2

The perfect SOP is always making geograft on Base figure, then you dial Feminine / Masculine morph(s) to further make F/M versions of grafts accordingly, as well as fixed bs if needed.

But if you do need to work on F/M figure for rigging geografts, in Transfer Utility dialogue box,  set "Current" into Source - Item Shape and check "Reverse Source Shape From Target".

Post edited by crosswind on
  • ZombieLoveZombieLove Posts: 31

Thanks for the help! I'll give this a shot. Any tutorials/training you can point to that covers this (even if it is for Genesis 8)?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,381
    edited January 4

There's no end-to-end and pro-oriented geo-graft tuotrial on youtube or somewhere else, AFAIK...  I myself learnt from Sickleyield's tutorial years ago - https://youtu.be/Zm-QCFKowCw?si=1ZW06-x1gECCHb8e... then just had lots of experiments.

Besides, the techniques of making geo-grafts is Genesis generation independent.. so it doesn't matter even if you just learn from a tutorial with G3...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • ZombieLoveZombieLove Posts: 31
    edited February 3

Thanks for the feedback, I had to step away for some RL stuff but I appreciate your response. What I've learned from some others is that the biggest difference between G2, G3 and G8.x vs G1 and G9 is that the unified figure means that you should make the geograft for the base figure first then adjust it for the Male vs Female bases independently. This insight has lead to some breakthroughs. I appreciate you and others answering questions because the documentation is beginner friendly and no help (at least to me) when you want to dive into specific topics like this or like "what is interactive update (non-iray, mesh option)"... if you have knowledge where I can find such documentation besides random places on the internet or with random youtubers (or the great Jay) then I am all ears. I prefer to read about this stuff and so far looking for official documentation has been a bust. Perhaps my google skills aren't up to the task :) 

Again, thanks for being an active member on here and helping veterans like me who know the basics but are looking to go further! 

Post edited by ZombieLove on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,524

crosswind said:

The perfect SOP

I need to switch my Houdini brain off.