DIM can't connect to CMS

Returning to DS after a several year hiatus. This Windows 10 PC has never had anything DS-related installed. I have tried several solutions in the forums, none of them worked. If someone has the time to trouble shoot with me from the begining I would really appreciate it. PS. there is also a problem with starting the CMS in DS and loging in, but first things first.

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,431
    edited July 4

Most of the time, a minimal but safest procedure is :

- Download and install DIM. Log on with your Daz Account. Correctly configure the paths of Package Archive, Daz Library in DIM - Advanced Settings.
    - Just download and install postgreSQL first!  Check default cms cluster folder and Port in Advanced Settings by the way. Then check if the database icon in the upper right corner is white or not. Make sure it is stably white.
    - If it's not, click to set a connection to CMS. Make sure there's no blocking from your local firewall software beforehand. Again, make sure the icon is stably white !
    - After the connection is stable, go for installing Daz Studio and the product "Genesis 8 Starter Essentials". Then launch Daz Studio, go to Smart Content, see if "Genesis 8 Starter Essentials" is correctly shown there.
    - Configure Daz Library path in F2 - Content Directory Manager. Then install other products with DIM...

SNAG-2023-12-30-0174.png
    602 x 612 - 29K
    SNAG-2023-12-30-0175.png
    602 x 612 - 39K
    SNAG-2023-12-30-0173.png
    1151 x 954 - 54K
    SNAG-2023-12-30-0176.png
    1151 x 954 - 56K
    SNAG-2024-7-5-066.png
    766 x 674 - 42K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 2023

Thanks for the reply. I tried everything you recommended and it still isn't working. I do not get the white CMS icon when I try to start a connection, both with and without a firewall. I double-checked all of the paths in Advanced Settings > Installation. They are all correct. One thing I did notice is that the DIM says I installed the PostgreSQL CMS back in 2020... though I do not see how that is the case. The last time I did anything Daz was like 2016. Maybe I attempted to re-install daz because this computer was purchased just before the US lockdowns, but could never get it going? So should I attempt to make sure everything was uninstalled properly? and how exactly would I go about doing that? :edited for spelling:

Post edited by jimmulvaney on

For the stubborn issue of being unable to make connection to cms, you may further check:
    - if your Windows User name is with Unicode characters...
    - the authorization group your Windows User was assigned to... ADMINISTRATORS won't work in lots of cases AFAIK...

You may try to uninstall / re-install but ususally they won't work.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited January 1

Alright so yes, my user is set to Admin, no it does not contain non-unicode characters. However, it got me thinking. So I changed all of the "Public" users in the directory urls to my username, made sure all of the folders they were looking for are in place and now it all works. Instant connection to the CMS in both DIM and DS, meta data is updating as I speak! I might just make sure all of my settings are in place and then do a full re-install with the new regedit records already in place. Hopefully it doesn't break anything. I had to have tried to re-install daz earlier in the year because I found old poser files in the library too. Thanks for your help!, all is well... for now.

Post edited by jimmulvaney on

Great ! yes