Need Help With File Paths

I made a mistake in saving a model I made with textures and misspelled the texture folder. Renaming the folder is not a problem, but don't I have to change the file path. I do have notepad++ but not enitirely sure how to do this.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,212

The paths in the duf file must match with where the textures are.

You can search for the wrong path in the duf and correct it for all textures.

• I think I only need to correct the spelling of the texture folder in notepad++ as I accidently typed texutres by mistake. If I only correct the spelling on that file path, will that work?, everything else should be fine?
    Really don't want to resave all these lol

• felisfelis Posts: 4,212

Correcting it in the duf file should work fine.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,308
    edited December 2023

Faeryl Womyn said:

I think I only need to correct the spelling of the texture folder in notepad++ as I accidently typed texutres by mistake. If I only correct the spelling on that file path, will that work?, everything else should be fine?
    Really don't want to resave all these lol

Yes, as long as the misspelled "words" only appear in the path of texture maps. However the safest way is always to replace the full wrong path with the correct one, in Notepad++.

e.g., replace /Runtime/Textures/TwiztedMetal/Reflections/   with   /Runtime/Textures/TwiztedFlesh/Reflections/

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Well, you can always compromise - replace /Runtime/texutres with /Runtime/Textures or whatever is needed to avoid ambiguity. Doing the full path can get hairy as non-URL characters will have been "escaped" - e.g. space will have become %20.

edited December 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, you can always compromise - replace /Runtime/texutres with /Runtime/Textures or whatever is needed to avoid ambiguity. Doing the full path can get hairy as non-URL characters will have been "escaped" - e.g. space will have become %20.

Notepad++ and EmEditor both have URL decoder / converter. As Daz users, we must know to do conversion(s) before modification ~ I'm an EmEditor user. EmEditor is more convenient in terms of conversion.

SNAG-2023-12-28-0149.png
    2560 x 1400 - 171K
    SNAG-2023-12-28-0150.png
    2560 x 1400 - 156K
    SNAG-2023-12-28-0151.png
    2560 x 1400 - 134K
  • Ya using notepad++ didn't work, when I opened the file to look for the lines I need to correct it was all gibberish, like when you open a readme from any of the asian creators and you don't have that language installed in windows lol.
    I had to resave all the textures, I actually triple checked to make sure everything was spelled correctly lol

I do thank everyone for the information tho, somehow I must have done something wrong when I tried to open the file, or opened the wrong one, or something. I have copies of the 2 items I made so I can practice on them with notepad++
    If there's more information about using this app to correct files, I would greatly appreciate it for practice.

edited December 2023

Faeryl Womyn said:

Ya using notepad++ didn't work, when I opened the file to look for the lines I need to correct it was all gibberish, like when you open a readme from any of the asian creators and you don't have that language installed in windows lol.
    I had to resave all the textures, I actually triple checked to make sure everything was spelled correctly lol

I do thank everyone for the information tho, somehow I must have done something wrong when I tried to open the file, or opened the wrong one, or something. I have copies of the 2 items I made so I can practice on them with notepad++
    If there's more information about using this app to correct files, I would greatly appreciate it for practice.

Notepad++ always works with uncompressed DSON files... Are your sure your duf file is uncompressed ? If it's compressed, convert it first via Windows -  Panes (Tabs) - Batch Convert...

Only uncompressed DSON files can be fully opened with Notepad++ or other Editors, those paths would be just with encoded URL rather than "gibberish characters"...

SNAG-2023-12-28-0153.png
    2560 x 1400 - 192K
    SNAG-2023-12-28-0154.png
    2560 x 1400 - 200K
    SNAG-2023-12-28-0155.png
    2560 x 1400 - 184K
  • Hey Lena and I do believe I saved the files as compressed, will try your suggestion tomorrow, kinda tired right now, been fighting with a sewing machine most the day lol, finally got it working right lol