Optimize Daz

I'm trying to optimize Daz so I've got a few questions regarding assets.

I'm guessing the more morphs you have the slower a character is loaded. Does a big number of morphs also affect posing? Uninstalling the characters/morphs I'm not using will speed up the viewport when posing or just the loading time? 
The same question for emotions. Would it be better to install one or two emotion packs, rather than having multiple?

Also does a big number of props/enviroments/shaders affect the loading time of a scene? I have two rendering machine, one is quite old, but it loads a scene way faster than my new high end rendering machine. The only difference is the amount of assets I have inside the library. So having only the required asssets for a scene is better than having the whole library?

Cheers!

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,006

hapciupalit said:

I'm trying to optimize Daz so I've got a few questions regarding assets.

I'm guessing the more morphs you have the slower a character is loaded. Does a big number of morphs also affect posing? Uninstalling the characters/morphs I'm not using will speed up the viewport when posing or just the loading time? 
    The same question for emotions. Would it be better to install one or two emotion packs, rather than having multiple?

If the poses and expressions create their own dials, they will have an effect on loading time, but no effect on posing

Also does a big number of props/enviroments/shaders affect the loading time of a scene? I have two rendering machine, one is quite old, but it loads a scene way faster than my new high end rendering machine. The only difference is the amount of assets I have inside the library. So having only the required asssets for a scene is better than having the whole library?

The amount of installed props/environments/shaders have no effect on loading time  

• Cool... Thank you very much.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,717

Or you could just use this instead of limiting your creativity by limiting the content you have installed https://www.daz3d.com/turbo-loader-for-genesis-8-and-81

There are versions for other generations as well.

• The number of properties may well have an impact on responsiveness when posing as, for each change, DS has to trace through the links with other properties to see if they need to change to, and then if those changes cause further chnages in other properties.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,129

A big number of installed morphs do not impact posing but a big numer of "dialed morphs" do... especially those morphs freezed with complex ERC formulas...

• Richard Haseltine said:

The number of properties may well have an impact on responsiveness when posing as, for each change, DS has to trace through the links with other properties to see if they need to change to, and then if those changes cause further chnages in other properties.

What is condiered properties? 

crosswind said:

A big number of installed morphs do not impact posing but a big numer of "dialed morphs" do... especially those morphs freezed with complex ERC formulas...

What are considered "dialed morphs"?

• FSMCDesigns said:

Or you could just use this instead of limiting your creativity by limiting the content you have installed https://www.daz3d.com/turbo-loader-for-genesis-8-and-81

There are versions for other generations as well.

Cheers. I'll give it a try!

edited December 2023

hapciupalit said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The number of properties may well have an impact on responsiveness when posing as, for each change, DS has to trace through the links with other properties to see if they need to change to, and then if those changes cause further chnages in other properties.

What is condiered properties? 

crosswind said:

What are considered "dialed morphs"?

Properties are those "sliders" in Parameters pane...

"Dialed morphs" means the morphs that have values... as below SS ~

SNAG-2023-12-28-0158.png
    1697 x 1398 - 386K
    SNAG-2023-12-28-0159.png
    1696 x 1399 - 434K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

So it is true, the more content you own the slower/jagger it is to pose your character, as much as I love daz, but this to me is the biggest flaw, all my gen 8 is slow to move a limb even on the fastest hardware money can buy. That makes me wonder will Daz 5 finally overcome this hurdle? 

As long as the mechanism of ERC, Base Joint Correctives, etc. exist, the lag will be always there...just to various extent based on different rigs, different cases and various factors...

If DS5 can utterly resolve this "issue" or significantly improve the performance, that'll be a great leap though I personally doubt it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,006

windli3356 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

So it is true, the more content you own the slower/jagger it is to pose your character, as much as I love daz, but this to me is the biggest flaw, all my gen 8 is slow to move a limb even on the fastest hardware money can buy. That makes me wonder will Daz 5 finally overcome this hurdle? 

If you have problems with posing, the reason is not the number of morphs or other content.

How high SubD do you use on the character, hair and clothing?
    What type of hair?
    Smoothing?
    Which viewport preview style do you use? 

This? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8522616/#Comment_8522616

• PerttiA said:

windli3356 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

If you have problems with posing, the reason is not the number of morphs or other content.

How high SubD do you use on the character, hair and clothing?
    What type of hair?
    Smoothing?
    Which viewport preview style do you use? 

This? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8522616/#Comment_8522616

These days all my figures are in subD lvl 1, it's slightly faster than subD lvl 2, texture shaded is my viewport style but still slow, always have this input delay when I move any limb jusdt for posing, the speed really killed my motivation for animation. Yup I already tried all options in that thread, I just got used to the speed now, 4.22 made loading asset a bit easier, but the improvement is simply not enough.  

• crosswind said:

As long as the mechanism of ERC, Base Joint Correctives, etc. exist, the lag will be always there...just to various extent based on different rigs, different cases and various factors...

If DS5 can utterly resolve this "issue" or significantly improve the performance, that'll be a great leap though I personally doubt it.

I questioned that DAZ5 may overcome it only because seeing how 4.22 made a considerable improvement over 4.21 in asset loading, rendering and posing speed all within the same frame work, so a redesigned frame work such as Daz 5 to vastly improve the currently issue is not without reach(I hope) 

windli3356 said:

crosswind said:

I questioned that DAZ5 may overcome it only because seeing how 4.22 made a considerable improvement over 4.21 in asset loading, rendering and posing speed all within the same frame work, so a redesigned frame work such as Daz 5 to vastly improve the currently issue is not without reach(I hope) 

As a loyal user of DS,I also hope so...