i want to save character poses into the content library or Smart Content to easily retrieve later

I've figured out how to save a pose, using tutorials like this:

https://renderguide.com/daz3d-save-combine-reset-pose/

But all the tutorials I see skip over the part entailing how to get a saved pose into the Content Library to appear later for easy retrieval.  After a while, I figured out that newly saved poses are grouped into the "All Files" category, and that I can move them into the Pose category by individually selecting them in the file browser and then moving them into the Pose folder.  But this is highly inconvenient and doesnt allow the selection of subfolders like "by function".  I tried  creating a subcategory in the file browser (the "Content Library" tab), but it doesnt show up in the Smart Content library.  So even if I manually add a file to this subcategory it still doesnt show up.

My question is:

Are the people who write these tutorials using some sort of plugin or a script that automatically detects which saved files are poses, and also knows somehow which category or subcategory to put them in?  Or does everyone need to manually categorize each file that they save?  It seems to me there's no benefit from manually transferring the files over if they are all going to be dumped into a single Pose category anyway, which in my case has over 700 files already, meaning I will always have to manually search by filename even there.  Ideally I would like to have a way to sort poses by character so I can use names like "walking" instead of typing out character names and the like.  But I dont know how to make new categories that show up in the file browser, nor how to put files in them.

Thanks for all of your help.

Comments

• You arew confusing file folders (DS will use the last folder to which a Pose preset was sent for File>Save as>Pose preset, if you chnage that it will/should remember for next time) with categories, as seen in the Presets tab of the Posing pane, Smart Content, and the Categories container in the Content Library pane - which is where by function lives. You can right-click on one or more selected files and select Categorise to lace them in the categories you wish (though you should not place them under the default category, which is intended for store data, annoying as it may be to have to have separate lists).

• You can choose where you save the pose files,  during the Save popup, or you can let them save in the preset folder,  and then move them manually yourself to whichever location you want.  You can even save them to a new custom poses folder and save them in there. DazStudio is flexible.   

• Okay, thanks. Does this mean that it's not possible to have poses saved into the Pose folder as I make them?  They literally have to be moved one by one, and everyone is doing it this way?  The tutorials I found don't even mention it.  As for selecting them dozens as a time, while in theory I could do that, in reality I can't because I am posing multiple figures at a time, rather than making a lot of poses of the same character and then switching to a different character. I need to do it this way to ensure their poses line up.  This means that their poses will be scattered throughout the "All Files" folder mixed with hundreds of other things that are not my poses.  So, it is very inefficient to have to move them one by one, and if there is no other way, I would find it more efficient to simply leave them in the unorganized folder and type out the name of a character each time I want to restore one of their poses.

Again please be kind and let me know if Im misunderstanding something, because although Ive been using Daz 3D for more than two years now, I'm not a professional and have only put in maybe a few hundred hours of total use in all of this time.  But I've read and re-read both comments above, and neither of them suggests to me that I'm doing something wrong, which leads me to believe that all saved files go into the "All Files" folder, and must be moved manually to any other location.  And that the people who publish their content and have it automatically load into the Pose folder must be using some sort of script that's not available to  me or which for some reason cannot be run locally.

Thanks for all of your help, but I still want to make sure that Im really understanding this properly.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777
    edited December 2023

soapwell said:

Okay, thanks. Does this mean that it's not possible to have poses saved into the Pose folder as I make them?  They literally have to be moved one by one, and everyone is doing it this way?  The tutorials I found don't even mention it.  As for selecting them dozens as a time, while in theory I could do that, in reality I can't because I am posing multiple figures at a time, rather than making a lot of poses of the same character and then switching to a different character. I need to do it this way to ensure their poses line up.  This means that their poses will be scattered throughout the "All Files" folder mixed with hundreds of other things that are not my poses.  So, it is very inefficient to have to move them one by one, and if there is no other way, I would find it more efficient to simply leave them in the unorganized folder and type out the name of a character each time I want to restore one of their poses.

Certainly you can save Pose Presets into the pose folder(s) you designate. Lots of Pose products were made and saved in such a way... just the author well-organized them before final packing. So feel free to save your Pose Presets in a well-organized folder / sub-folder(s) as you make them.
    Suggest you save the presets into your working Library (e.g. My Daz Library or My Product Library) rather than Daz Product Libary, for better / fast access and organization.

Again please be kind and let me know if Im misunderstanding something, because although Ive been using Daz 3D for more than two years now, I'm not a professional and have only put in maybe a few hundred hours of total use in all of this time.  But I've read and re-read both comments above, and neither of them suggests to me that I'm doing something wrong, which leads me to believe that all saved files go into the "All Files" folder, and must be moved manually to any other location.  And that the people who publish their content and have it automatically load into the Pose folder must be using some sort of script that's not available to  me or which for some reason cannot be run locally.

TBH, after I read your OP, I didn't think you'd done anything wrong...but just not in a better / efficient way... For the Pose Preset DUF files saved by the users, you either can quickly find them in Smart Content under the Category: Saved Files - Pose, or access the well-organized folders that you created. And you surely can Categorize the poses you made with default sub-categories or user-defined "unique" sub-categories (for instance: myABCCharacter - myWalking / myFighting, or sth. like that...) and search them by using these sub-category in Content Libary with option - Search by using metadata. Then quickly locate the files / folder via "Show Asset in - Virtual Folder".

As default, a Pose Preset is only given a simple category as the screenshot 1. So if you really wanna make them well categorized, you have to Categorize them by using the proper categories you want.. otherwise, it'll be not easy to search / locate them especially when you have lots of them.

BTW, AFAIK, there should be no or very less content creator using sort of  "scripts" to organize their pose files / pose products... To me, I can quickly do so with standard DS funcitons + a good renamer software. In case, some authors do use some scripts, they probably won't share with the users...devil

Actually I'm also a sort of Pose Maker... I have a pretty complex hierarchical folder structures for archiving the unique poses of my own. Though I'm a heavy user of Smart Content but for speeding up the access time to a lower / lowest level folder of poses, I still have to use Content Library... So I recommend a product - https://www.daz3d.com/mf-content-bookmarks. With it, it'll be pretty fast to locate a preset folder in second.

Thanks for all of your help, but I still want to make sure that Im really understanding this properly.

SNAG-2023-12-30-0177.png
    1104 x 818 - 66K
    Post edited by crosswind on