[solved!] Linking the translation of one item to the scale of another item??

artxtapartxtap Posts: 157

trash compactor , is it possible to link the translation x,y, or z of one item to the scale x,y or z of another item??

example: you have a cube in a drawer(parented) you pull the drawer open and the cube is compacted (scaled), you close the drawer the cube is un-compacted, returned to it’s original scale (x,y or z).

Post edited by artxtap on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,308
    edited December 2023

Property Hierarchy needs to be used ~~ as below screenshots. (I just put a box on top of the draw unit for demonstration. You may parent it to the drawer with proper initial size...)

SNAG-2023-12-23-0072.png
    2560 x 1400 - 667K
    SNAG-2023-12-23-0073.png
    2560 x 1400 - 773K
    SNAG-2023-12-23-0074.png
    2560 x 1400 - 635K
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • Just bear in mind that saving links between separate props can be tricky, it is much simpler, if possible, to turn them into a figure.

• artxtapartxtap Posts: 157

Crosswind,
    I have not tried it yet, will soon. But it looks like hitting a jackpot!!! this will be the gift that keeps on giving!!

That is magic, perfect, very very NICE!! but how are WE suppose to know about something like that?! Or the math, which again was beautiful !! negative, NICE!

Thank you!

Great ! No problem ~ Let's learn by ourselves if no detailed tutorial / document can be found ~

edited December 2023

Well, I knew there had to be a way, some way to do it. You can make a program do anything(it’s just a matter of coding it).
    But your last statement is like grabbing someone outside of a hospital hallway, giving  them some tools and saying the patient is ready for his/her operation…..?!…….Now that’s a scene!!! I think we need a render of that.

the only reason the operation was a success was because of your hand holding!

Any way you have opened a door. Your explanation should be a sticky!

Post edited by artxtap on

artxtap said:

Well, I knew there had to be a way, some way to do it. You can make a program do anything(it’s just a matter of coding it).
    But your last statement is like grabbing someone outside of a hospital hallway, giving  them some tools and saying the patient is ready for his/her operation…..?!…….Now that’s a scene!!! I think we need a render of that.

the only reason the operation was a success was because of your hand holding!

Any way you have opened a door. Your explanation should be a sticky!

It was not that easy for me to understand what you wrote quite well 'cause English is not my native language.. but I got it. Thank you and happy rendering ! cheeky